Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436264 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2310 on: October 12, 2020, 03:08:34 am »

Currently both zombies and skeletons use the same sprite, and there are no plans to draw individual skeletons, and there are no special identifiers to assign skeleton sprites.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 12, 2020, 05:15:13 am »

I hope that changes at some point when more important things are finished. They're such a big part of haunted forts.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 12, 2020, 01:04:26 pm »

That makes sense for reanimated skeletons, but I was thinking about normal skeletons, like a badly decayed corpse.  Would it be possible make skeleton sprites based on corpse wear? Or do I completely misunderstand how this works?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 12, 2020, 01:49:40 pm »

Firstly there'd have to be an available identifier to distinguish a fresh/decaying corpse from age old bones to make it possible to depict them separately, and I interpret Meph's response to mean that "wear" isn't available to the tile selection logic for any corpses (whether reanimated or not), and secondly the tileset artist would have to draw all of these skeletons, and I expect it to be very tricky to make skeletons from similar species distinct when the fleshy parts that made up much of the shape and all of the color are gone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2314 on: October 12, 2020, 02:13:18 pm »

The issues wouldn't be the code, but the ~1300 skeleton sprites. There is a non-trivial amount of creatures in the game. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: October 12, 2020, 02:16:24 pm »

I'm not saying it would be a good use of time to create sprites for every animal's skeleton. But it would be useful if my butcher shop stockpile had visible 'wear' on corpses to tell the difference between fresh, rotten and skeletal. I know miasma is a pretty good indication that things are rotting, but adding some miasma colored filter over a dead pig's sprite to indicate it is the cause of the miasma would be cool.

Having a few general body shape skeletons (humanoid, bird, snake, domestic animals) would also be a helpful for things like recognizing that the same dead miner is STILL in the tavern and rotted to bones, or that the horse someone took to my butcher stockpile has no meat on in.

So it would be cool if it was made possible to show corpse wear, even if it doesn't make it into the official tileset.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:20:33 pm by Pillbo »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 12, 2020, 02:25:35 pm »

The issues wouldn't be the code, but the ~1300 skeleton sprites. There is a non-trivial amount of creatures in the game. ^^

There'd probably be much less sprites needed for skeletons specifically tho, a lot of stuff would/could look pretty similar if not identical as just bones (not saying it's necessarily worth the effort still).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2317 on: October 12, 2020, 02:58:13 pm »

I have something like that in my personal tileset, I can suggest it to Toady.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 12, 2020, 03:39:14 pm »

Yes, those are what I was thinking of when I wrote the question. I think some some people would find it pretty useful to see that difference.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: October 12, 2020, 03:58:01 pm »

You could have most (sic!) of the artists move onto other stuff and delegate this one task to just a skeleton crew...

(IGMC)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2320 on: October 12, 2020, 04:08:40 pm »

The Indira Gandhi Medical College?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 14, 2020, 05:13:56 pm »

I have something like that in my personal tileset, I can suggest it to Toady.

Something like that would be pretty good. A basic skeleton for different body shapes. Cuts down on the work. Maintains cool skeleton enemies on screen.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2322 on: October 15, 2020, 02:57:03 am »

In the end that would mean something like this:
Dog, zombie, (animated) skeleton, mutilated corpse, corpse, rotten corpse, partially decayed corpse, skeleton.

In the end a horse, donkey and mule skeleton might look identical, but the decay stages wouldn't. Since the Steam DF version has custom child-corpse sprites, we'd have to do that for both adults and children. That's around 1300 skeletons, and 2600 rotten/decayed corpses. The child skeletons make up around 650 of that, so 650 left, if every skeleton fits on average two creature types, that's 325 skeleton sprites to make. (Edit: Wait, some are animal men/giant versions, so much fewer) Mh. Certainly a thought I'm willing to entertain. ;)

Anyway, that would add almost 4000 sprites, but at least the decayed corpses and skeletons could be reused as zombies and animated skeletons.

Edit: Some snakes. The easiest skeletons to test. XD

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:34:43 am by Meph »

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 15, 2020, 05:23:25 am »

That looks wonderful.
Maybe there should be at least code support for decayed and skeleton sprites, so that fanmade 4000 sprites would be possible in the future.
edit: It would be greatly appreciated if you did at least the most common creatures for decayed corpses and skeletons: five main races, some domestic animals, cats, maybe others.

How would hands and other bodyparts be displayed if they are zombified?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:49:25 am by Wokko »

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 15, 2020, 09:43:47 am »

yeah agree it look good and its 2SP00KY5ME, though maybe for future patch after this is complete or something, since seems like its quite heavy and require lots of work for doing it now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:45:53 am by Hiul »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178