Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 435350 times)

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2415 on: October 22, 2020, 11:31:38 am »

Quick mockup to hopefully somewhat illustrate what I meant about the font and the green buttons.

Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 22, 2020, 11:36:35 am »

After watching that video with stockpile UI, I've got a question.
All creatures seem to be right in the center of the tile, with their legs in the bottom. Would it be better if instead, their legs were in the center of the tile?
That would also probably look better with unit markers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 22, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »

After watching that video with stockpile UI, I've got a question.
All creatures seem to be right in the center of the tile, with their legs in the bottom. Would it be better if instead, their legs were in the center of the tile?
That would also probably look better with unit markers.

That would probably make a lot more sense if we could get some sort of isometric view.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 22, 2020, 12:22:45 pm »

Quick mockup to hopefully somewhat illustrate what I meant about the font and the green buttons.

While I'm not sure the tint of green is that optimal, I'd say both the color and font are much better in the original than in your version :>

(though maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to illustrate)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 22, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »

If I were picking a font for DF, I would go for something slightly runic, but still mostly prioritizing legibility. Too many runic fonts require too much effort to read.

On a general note, these last screenshots (with the possible exception of the bright green and red buttons) have a very warm and welcoming feeling to them, which is a good thing.

Unless you've embarked on a glacier, in which case it would be counterproductive. Is climate-based color temperature adjustment a possibility for DF?

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 22, 2020, 02:14:21 pm »

It would be nice to be able to toggle just hostiles with this. Versus, say, every creature on the map being labeled, or none.
I agree with this.
Separate toggles: halo for hostiles, halo for friendly, halo for neutral. What about additional toggle with a user filter?
Green for friendly, red for hostile, yellow for unknown, blue for neutral. Makes the most sense to me. Purple ring for undeads is nice.

I think in addition to quoted ideas a separate category "civilians" may be useful. And maybe yet another separate "non-war animals".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2421 on: October 22, 2020, 04:05:04 pm »

Tarn still has to finish ~60 UI bits like this. Most of it is WIP, and I'm not going to waste too much effort working on something that's maybe 10% done. Once the functionality is there, we can start giving it a nicer style.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 23, 2020, 03:20:41 am »

I'm just dropping in here to say Thanks guys! I think everything looks amazing and you're all doing a fantastic work. Keep up the good work!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

BLazerules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 23, 2020, 07:04:17 pm »

My eyes aren't the best and deal really badly with a lot of things.

So yeah that (previous posts) neon green is a bit over used and looking at it a while does irritate my eyes. Maybe made a bit more of a pastel colour or something would help...

The font you showed on the otherhand is bad though. I actually find this more difficult to read. But that's just because the pixely font is very chonky and my poor excuse of eyeballs deal with that better.

If you want an example of how bad my eyes are: in "idlers" I see "iders" because the l and d just merge together for me. While the chonkster font causes no issue there. The fact that is pretty rectangular also helps. Its like an accessibility feature by accident.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:07:06 pm by BLazerules »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: October 23, 2020, 08:52:49 pm »

Tarn still has to finish ~60 UI bits like this. Most of it is WIP, and I'm not going to waste too much effort working on something that's maybe 10% done. Once the functionality is there, we can start giving it a nicer style.
Fair enough if the big single-color fields are placeholder then. It's often not clear what's WIP/placeholder, what's up for discussion and what is reckoned to be "good enough" unless you say something. I think it's probably not too early to discuss font since that doesn't highly rely on other UI elements. I like Manveru's color choice on the font since it has good contrast to read and matches the UI. I think something with straighter letterforms (and more consistent line width) would be preferable because that there has too much anit-aliasing around the edges, but a nice serif font would still be better over something too console-like. I'm a fan of Libre Baskerville, personally, but there are plenty of good choices (and there are definitely better ones than that at when it comes to looking nice at a smaller amount of pixels). Serif is still out of style for digital body text though, since accepted design principles haven't really caught up with modern screen resolutions.

My eyes aren't the best and deal really badly with a lot of things.

So yeah that (previous posts) neon green is a bit over used and looking at it a while does irritate my eyes. Maybe made a bit more of a pastel colour or something would help...

The font you showed on the otherhand is bad though. I actually find this more difficult to read. But that's just because the pixely font is very chonky and my poor excuse of eyeballs deal with that better.

If you want an example of how bad my eyes are: in "idlers" I see "iders" because the l and d just merge together for me. While the chonkster font causes no issue there. The fact that is pretty rectangular also helps. Its like an accessibility feature by accident.
The font will definitely be changeable, and hopefully not that difficult to change. That being the case, I reckon in terms of accessibility, it would make sense to include a "classic" chonk font

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 27, 2020, 10:29:34 am »

I know world map was already discussed, but there's something I found.
Current world map's color palette looks way too bland. Could you look at the following picture and see if you could make the color palette more like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not asking to change sprite work, just tweaking colors a little. Would be a lot better.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:09 pm »

I actually wanted to ask something similar myself - could we have something akin to the color themes support? So that we can tweak the hue/saturation of the sprites and UI elements?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

QDDeerGirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 30, 2020, 02:26:50 pm »

Is it possible to add simple post-processing, to modify the hue/saturation/luminance for everything except the UI and interiors? (example below)

fully automated luxury lesbian mineshaft commune

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 30, 2020, 09:50:57 pm »

Is it possible to add simple post-processing, to modify the hue/saturation/luminance for everything except the UI and interiors? (example below)

Good Idea.

The terrain is very bright and colorfull.

What youve done looks way more like a rainy day, its pretty effective. A critical strike.

The contrast to the bright Sunny environment, is very extreme tho. Also, just a bit too dark. It would be pretty good for nighttime (if tweaked a bit), assuming nighttime Shouldnt be pitch black, for the sake of gameplay, and being able to Tell Where your dwarves are.

Maybe, if you could lower the saturation a bit less, it would be more in line with the general brightness, that seems to dominate the current artstyle.

Also:
could we have something like this for day and night?
That would be AMAZING. An actual day and night cycle, visible to the player. Yet another previously invisible mechanic, seamlessly  integrated into the visual picture of the world, the player recieves.

This should actually be pretty high priority IMHO.

Maybe have several stages like, sunrise, morning, midday, evening, Sunset, night, and so on.

I mean, this could be somewhat easy to do, right?

Huge payoff tho. Great for immersion, and generally, just getting a sense of time(Very usefull), the world spinning, day and night coming and going.
An actual World, where time passes, and that creates an effect, that you can see.

And make the picture MUCH less static + make for more varied, potentially Beautiful scenes.

This is not on you, toady, or anyone.
But, it would almost be a bit dissapointing, if dwarf fortress: steam version, didnt come with a day and night cycle. (At least at some point).

Good night everyone
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:26:11 pm by MoltenIdol »

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: October 30, 2020, 10:19:47 pm »

Accidental double-post. Cant figure out how to delete. Am stoned.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:25:06 pm by MoltenIdol »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 178