Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434622 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2520 on: February 03, 2021, 04:47:02 am »

I didn't think Kitfox would actively be against a good wiki, but that doesn't mean they may always think of reining in the lawyers who make EULAs that give themselves all the rights that that are not blocked by law and give customers only the subset that's absolutely required by law (such as e.g. those by the big Premium version license vendor).

And it can also be noted that a violation of the rights that's enthusiastically overlooked can turn around 180 degrees at a corporate takeover.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: February 03, 2021, 08:49:01 am »

You'll need to state some examples for when a game company's lawyers banned images of its own game from a wiki on the game. Otherwise you're just spouting hypothetical nonsense.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: February 03, 2021, 11:44:45 am »

Yeeeeah..... A, literally nobody does that ever.

And B, if somebody did do that, it wouldn't be a small indie publisher,

And C, kitfox staff have literally posted in here saying it won't happen.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: February 04, 2021, 02:38:33 pm »

Derivative works such as demonstrative images on a wiki I think falls squarely under fair use.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: February 11, 2021, 06:09:58 am »

Any updates on the de-Tarned version of inspection view that was shown in KitFox newsletter on 14th of January?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: February 12, 2021, 04:20:35 pm »

She didn't say it definitely won't, let's not put words in her mouth. She's not a lawyer and she's speaking only on what she knows which is more than us but still, nobody's omniscient. But there's no reason to suppose that it would be a problem, and her statement reflects that.

This might seem like a pedantic point but people often mistake informative posts from games developers and representatives as promises, so we should make sure we're clear about this kind of thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2526 on: February 12, 2021, 04:38:26 pm »

Any updates on the de-Tarned version of inspection view that was shown in KitFox newsletter on 14th of January?
Nope, that UI element isn't fully done yet. We'll have a go at it once it's more finalized, that way we don't do the design two or three times. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: February 12, 2021, 11:05:28 pm »

She didn't say it definitely won't, let's not put words in her mouth. She's not a lawyer and she's speaking only on what she knows which is more than us but still, nobody's omniscient. But there's no reason to suppose that it would be a problem, and her statement reflects that.

This might seem like a pedantic point but people often mistake informative posts from games developers and representatives as promises, so we should make sure we're clear about this kind of thing.
And again, pointless rambling hypothetical situation that has never happened in the history of computer game wikis.

"Rogue lawyer bans screenshots from informal marketing materials for computer game company!"
Lawyer gets fired...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: February 13, 2021, 02:46:50 am »

Am I correct in assuming the icons for suspend and repeat for workshop jobs are temporary? A pause symbol and circular arrow would be more clear. Not sure what "active job" would be represented as, though.

For the lowest stress indicator, it looks kind of more like a grimace than a smile. I guess it's clear in context with the other faces, but it could probably be better somehow.

"Rogue lawyer bans screenshots from informal marketing materials for computer game company!"
Lawyer gets fired...

...Nintendo offers job, saying legal dept could learn a thing or two. XD
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:07:40 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: February 13, 2021, 03:12:58 am »

"... (Like last time, none of the interface art is final here.)" from the post, so yes. I'd say those particular ones are placeholders before the first artist pass.

And I agree the happiest "dorf" has a very weird expression, possibly rabid ...

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: February 14, 2021, 10:33:33 pm »

My apologies if this is already the case or has been suggested prevuously; but with regard to the workshop task menus:  It would be really cool if when selecting the materials for an item, if the specific item sprite were shown as a preview.

Feeona

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Kitfox Games Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: February 17, 2021, 04:22:20 pm »

Hi folks!

The official word from Kitfox Games in regards to Steam version images use on the DF Wiki:

Kitfox and Bay 12 would love for the Dwarf Fortress wiki to use the sprites from the Dwarf Fortress Steam version as decoration, explanation, diagrams, illustration, etc. Please do not redistribute the graphics as packs, sell them, put them on merchandise, or otherwise commercialize them. Use common sense. If you have any questions or a situation you're not sure about, ask us: info@kitfoxgames.com

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2532 on: February 18, 2021, 01:28:52 am »

"... (Like last time, none of the interface art is final here.)" from the post, so yes. I'd say those particular ones are placeholders before the first artist pass.

Ha ha, yeah, I've just been drawing these in paint while the artists are doing important stuff like elves and underground shrooms.  We'll have a first pass at some point as I get more of the specialized 'q' buildings in (specialized as in, like bedrooms.)

Hi folks!

The official word from Kitfox Games in regards to Steam version images use on the DF Wiki:

Kitfox and Bay 12 would love for the Dwarf Fortress wiki to use the sprites from the Dwarf Fortress Steam version as decoration, explanation, diagrams, illustration, etc. Please do not redistribute the graphics as packs, sell them, put them on merchandise, or otherwise commercialize them. Use common sense. If you have any questions or a situation you're not sure about, ask us: info@kitfoxgames.com

Thanks Feeona!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: February 25, 2021, 05:15:27 pm »

Are the statue plinths maybe a bit too tall? How are hydra statues going to fit? Will they be scaled down?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2534 on: February 25, 2021, 05:26:15 pm »

Yeah, first public images of statues! :)

I'm so happy Tarn agreed to turn 1 sprite into ~1000 sprites just so that I can completely overkill it.

(From Steam news) After Patrick drew lots of new images and adapted many additional images to the statue format, we're finally able to begin showing some portion of the details! This is my coati hall, with eight coatis and a coati person. There's also a sunfish enjoying some time in the waves under the moon. The colors of the statue give some indication of their material, various stones I located in the mines. It's a strange room, and I shouldn't be in charge of decorating anything, but my dwarves enjoy the space, because they don't know any better. There's also a visiting human monster hunter there, possibly confused.

@Bumber: The plinths are that tall because I initially wanted to show little faces on them, indicating the "action" of the statue, like "the dwarf is laughing" or "the human is being tortured", but it looked too out of place. After we changed that I made them a bit smaller, but the space is still needed for decorations, wear and spatter, which are all on the pedestal, not the statue itself.

Hydras were manually turned into a bust. The height is not even the problem, it's the width. Statues can be quite tall, but for numerous reasons we decided to keep them within 32x width.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 178