Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 433377 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2565 on: March 19, 2021, 06:04:14 pm »

Meanwhile I'm in the opposite camp where elves and humans are fine, but dwarfs are too different. Either dwarfs should have a slightly smaller head, or elves and humans should have bigger.

Because right now, when they're side by side, it just looks very wrong.
Yeah, the dwarves' heads make them proportioned like (dare I say it) newborn babies. But hey, it's a game and I'm used to watching the tile-sized faces walking around anyway.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: March 19, 2021, 07:34:43 pm »

It would make more sense if the humans and elves also had similarly proportioned heads. As a bonus, elves would have more visible ears that way.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: March 19, 2021, 09:35:10 pm »

It would make more sense if the humans and elves also had similarly proportioned heads. As a bonus, elves would have more visible ears that way.

That would be really interesting to see: if the human and elven heads were enlarged toward if not equalized with the dwarven head size.  Their facial features would get better clarity that way.  The proportions are a bit less 'realistic' but they're just pixel tile representations so I have no issue with that trade off. 

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: March 20, 2021, 05:09:33 pm »

I don't know if head-size really is the issue, though it might be one potential fix.

Comparing a Steam.DF female elf to one from my upcoming mod:

The head-size is pretty much the same, though mine are a little wider. The bigger difference is style. Steam.DF is more realistic, while mine is cartoony, almost chibi, but this makes the features much more obvious. The things that make my head (ignoring body silhouette for now) disinctly feminine are:
1) The roundness of the chin/jaw
2) The color of the lips
3) The shape of the eyes, which implies eye-lashes.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: March 21, 2021, 12:18:51 pm »

Your elf is an animu elf while theirs is a dirty tree hippy.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 21, 2021, 12:42:15 pm »

I agree, rounder chin, higher cheekbones, and wider eyes would make it more distinctive.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaXMC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: April 21, 2021, 10:24:29 am »

I see your point, but using different silhouettes is a bit tricky due to the equipment. Either we have to make two sets of every piece of clothing and armor, or the silhouette gets covered as soon as anyone wears any clothes.
Actually that's way more realistic. I don't see any need for boob-armor in Dwarf Fortress, its 32x32 pixels for <insert deity> sake...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: April 21, 2021, 06:58:28 pm »

Since either gender can wear the same armor, boob armor might not make sense for that reason. Hopefully the chest cavity is large enough to accommodate both genders. The gap between the chest and the breastplate is good because it acts as a crumple zone like in a car.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2573 on: April 22, 2021, 05:45:09 am »

Don't worry, no one will get boob armor breastplates. But the chainmail armor will all be chainmail bikinis, even for the male dwarves. Does that sound alright?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: April 22, 2021, 05:54:46 am »

I'd rather my fantasy game not increasingly look like my typical trip to the supermarket...

(Though at least I have somewhere to put my oranges.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: April 28, 2021, 06:52:51 pm »

Interesting wip bridge designs you've posted over at Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/n0ml8n/steamdf_bridge_design_wip/

(Going to start talking coding wishes now, beyond the artwork. I know it's Toady that codes and not you, but this is the only place we have to discuss the official Steamset)

Is there any way to make the outside world bridges you find out in the wilderness crossing rivers a different design to dwarven drawbridges? I'd imagine arches for the former and the flatter designs you've made for drawbridges.

I know it's the same thing technically right now, but exploring the world in Adventurer with the new Steam tileset and music is something a lot of us are looking forward to. And flat dwarven drawbridges crossing a brook are a little immersion breaking.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 28, 2021, 07:03:04 pm »

Is there any way to make the outside world bridges you find out in the wilderness crossing rivers a different design to dwarven drawbridges?

I thought those were made out of constructed walls and floors?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 28, 2021, 07:48:37 pm »

Is there any way to make the outside world bridges you find out in the wilderness crossing rivers a different design to dwarven drawbridges?

I thought those were made out of constructed walls and floors?
Hmm. Didn't realise that. Would still be nice if they could look like bridges.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 28, 2021, 07:54:34 pm »

In lieu of a Reddit account[1]...

I don't mind the ropes as much as others do. As part of the "pull up the drawbridge" it makes sense. Can I reverse the suggestion to scrap the ropes but keep the supports (rope visible along bridge-side surface, not held up, theoretically concertina-moding the bridge when the raiser-bit is activated).

Somewhere, some time ago, I did my own visualisations of how to deal with both raising and retraction (of both multitile and single-tile[2] bridges) according to my personal headcanon. I think I never got around to posting those, I didn't want to influence things. Not sure if there's a tween-point graphic here for transition-animation, but it looks very compatible with how I think they should function.

The slightly raised version (second imgur link down, wasn't it?) doesn't really work for me. Not as a dynamic bridge... Perhaps a floor-type one that transitions to unfloored normal-ground could be assumed to be like that, for aesthetics, but we have to fight with the whole "what is a floor" visualisation, with ⅐th/⅛th of a cell's verticality/whatever, making paved roads 'proud' (as they were, often, for construction/drainage reasons).

The desire for different bridge-types makes me hark back to Transport Tycoon (though I can't remember now how that was paramaterised... higher cost version chosen, more futurustic, the trainline/road rates for higher transit speed, was it?). I could easily see some method of displaying (mostly as encountered in Adventure Mode) subtly different over-decorations (to the MAT-/quality-based initial variations) a cultural clue as to in whose territory/control the structure exists.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick_Bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigellachie_Bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonar_Bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxford_Bridge - not strictly examples, to follow, but any excuse to show some interesting bridges of various types that aren't all just across the Forth. ;) )

[1] Doesn't stop my browser trying hard to open on the App I must have had installed by default on this tablet...

[2] Lengthwise, which I'd like to see examples of with the raiser-rope feature included (i.e. drawbridge-door/wall constructions).

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 30, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »

I've been curious, what's the deciding factor for which way a creature faces? I've noticed some face left (most actually), but some face right, and I can't figure out a pattern; is there one?
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 178