Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 435303 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2595 on: June 06, 2021, 01:40:06 am »

Every 8th or 16th line would fit the map better, given each embark square is 48x48.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 06, 2021, 05:15:12 am »

Every 8th or 16th line would fit the map better, given each embark square is 48x48.

In a sense; but since people count in base 10, it seems like it would be more intuitive to use 10. Then again, I can't imagine this would be hard to make a customizable option for, so may as well just make it an option how often (though again, an option for centering lines would be more useful in most cases I think).

I'm just going to repeat my other question here in case it gets lost from being on the last page:

When should a suggestion be posted in this thread as opposed to elsewhere in this forum? And what about the Suggestions forum, is that just for gameplay (and in principle audio and UX) stuff, while this forum is for the tileset and UI/UX?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 06, 2021, 07:28:15 am »

If the artists aren't involved, it should be in Suggestions, I believe. I'd expect "artist involvement" to be a somewhat nebulous distinction, though, as I can imagine they may work as a sounding board for UI elements they won't actively implement themselves (layout, UI organization, etc.).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 06, 2021, 07:49:13 am »

I think this is more (though inevitably not only) for raising MephDay art issues. Though they may be called upon to supply the 'dotted line, double-line, etc' graphics, and solve artistic issues, the above is more a technical mechanic (artistic resolutions TBD) than a tileset-drive one (to depict a particular known functionality, or to potentially demand a functional capability to support the gralhical nicety).

(Ninjaed, sorry, was distracted by having to make a short trip, between starting and posting this.)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 06, 2021, 09:51:41 am »

The best use of this thread is to plant feature suggestions in Meph's head so he can subconsciously work on turning them into things that "need to be done for the tileset."
Team Bug Fix!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: June 06, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

I see, so something that wouldn't involve new art being drawn or existing art being modified (but which is still oriented around nicer overall graphics/tileset functionality) should be in Suggestions rather than this forum?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: June 06, 2021, 11:20:41 am »

I see, so something that wouldn't involve new art being drawn or existing art being modified (but which is still oriented around nicer overall graphics/tileset functionality) should be in Suggestions rather than this forum?
Yes. Things like "the stockpiles ought to be split into these categories allowing those criteria to be specified within them" are suggestions beyond the artistic realm. If that gets implemented, the artists would be called upon to create icons for the new versions (and possibly revise existing ones, of the boundaries have shifted sufficiently to work better with a different image), but that's at the tail end of the process, not he decision part.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2602 on: June 06, 2021, 12:08:25 pm »

Well, if there are suggestions, I'm all ears. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: June 06, 2021, 12:14:08 pm »

Ah, well I just posted it in Suggestions like a minute ago (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178601.0), but it's basically reflections in water and glass/reasonably reflective tiles. Just a nice little visual extra.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: June 06, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »

12 might be better since it has 2, 3, 4 & 6 as factors.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 06, 2021, 06:13:52 pm »

Joking aside, now that there are fish barrels presumably, the fishery needs a fish barrel, probably in the top right. Likewise the still and other workshops where barrels are currently displayed should be updated with the new "contents shown" barrel tops.
Team Bug Fix!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2606 on: June 08, 2021, 08:12:20 pm »

Ah, well I just posted it in Suggestions like a minute ago (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178601.0), but it's basically reflections in water and glass/reasonably reflective tiles. Just a nice little visual extra.
Forwarded that to Tarn. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 10, 2021, 04:20:34 pm »

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but how are the keyboard shortcuts going to be discoverable for new users? Saw in the other thread that they’re still going to work, but I don’t see any way for new users to figure out what they are.

Perhaps the relevant letter could be a different color, like Constructions or well. Or underlined, like Ashery.

For the shortcuts where you need to hit alt like slab, either you could use a different labeling or just have the letters not highlighted until you press alt.

Alternatively, if you hit ? it could show an overlay with the keyboard shortcut for everything on the screen, that way it wouldn’t change the UI during normal use.

Edit: never mind, disregard this whole post. I saw it’s labeled in some of the steam screenshots.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:47:15 am by rda »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 31, 2021, 01:43:50 pm »

Anything new to show off, besides what's been shown in Toady's updates?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 03, 2021, 06:41:58 am »

I'm particularly interested in 'de-Tarned' menus - it's not clear how much of what we're seeing is final. Any plans to align buttons / optimise the space / make acid green buttons stand out less?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 178