Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430427 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2019, 01:18:14 am »

it's a tile approximately 3x3x3 feet wall + 3x3x1 floor?

Also, pathing that dwarf moves from floor to floor and not necessarily steps on the ramp?,
Code: [Select]
.._
_^#

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2019, 01:26:22 am »

it's a tile approximately 3x3x3 feet wall + 3x3x1 floor?

I've heard on these forums that tiles are roughly 2 meters wide by 2 meters long by 2.5 meters tall (0.5 is the floor), but of course, they are also infinitely large since any sized creature can exist on them

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2019, 01:37:22 am »

A tile is big enough to fit a hundred dragons so long as 99 of them lie down, and too small for a pair of cats to pass each other comfortably. That's the official line.

The other "true" number is based on minecart physics, but it doesn't have to be considered canon.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2019, 01:50:04 am »

Yeah, I agree. Though the latest Mayday mockup did already have a bit of that additional shading.
I also made a similar mockup some pages ago:

I'm curious what that looks like with multi-level rendering. Word from Mike was that rounded edges didn't play nice, but we haven't yet seen a mockup of the result.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:55:26 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2019, 12:50:46 pm »

Top-down screwpump with an impassable tile:

With 3 frames more and some shading:

Maybe we can add a color overlay when it has liquids inside:

Sashes would be cool, or toolbelts, or whatever, but... there might not be that many pixels left for clothing, clothing color, sash and profession-somethings. ^^

Remember, this is the size we are using: (red shirt, brown vest, brown skirt, green/farmer sash)

Damn those look good!
Oh and PTW.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #350 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:39 am »

Just to keep you updated: We put the ramp-work on the side for a bit for now, and focus on creatures. We got lots of those on our list. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 26, 2019, 02:32:24 pm »

If you managed to secure enough blood, is there liquid graphics?  Not even sure if blood has liquid mechanics, but hey...figured someone out there might want to make their vampire-castle of the damned.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 26, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »

If you managed to secure enough blood, is there liquid graphics?  Not even sure if blood has liquid mechanics, but hey...figured someone out there might want to make their vampire-castle of the damned.
Blood does not have liquid mechanics, but you can have bloody water.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #353 on: March 26, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »

More animals.

I'll let Meph show his variations :)
<3

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2019, 10:23:41 pm »

Great work on the mammals, they're all quite clean and readable. Not sure about the height of the cavy and pig heads, they normally hold them pretty low. Sheep could be fluffier maybe, if you're going for the iconic "cloud" sheep, although a mouflon would be a cool choice. I mentioned before, but I think the color contrast on the elephant is too strong.

While your mammals have characterful and accurate faces, I'm not sure you've quite achieved the same mastery over the birds. It took me a while to figure out what the guinea hen was (It is that, right? My first guess was one of them little geese) although I understand their flecked look is very difficult to make this small, but even if you're just dithering, black and white are a better choice I reckon.
But the peacock looks like a blue swan carrying a green clam. Maybe try it with the tail down? Otherwise you'll have to shrink it a lot to make the tail fit in the sprite area. With the tail down, it could be smaller if it's early in the season. If you do do it like this, you should be aware that the "tail" part of the feathers actually starts up on the back, which is where the most brilliant green is. And the wings are like a black and white that maybe just works out to greyish. But also be aware: There isn't a linear nature to the green bits of the tail, only the white bits. And the eyes are black and white and need to pop more, even if you can't fit as many as a very impressive display would have. As for the beak, #505050 is definitely wrong, though I'm not sure I have a better one within your palette.

Anyway, this is a lot of talk for somebody not doing any work, so here's a quick edit of your sprite to show a more realistic coloring and posture:

I'm not super happy with how striped the wings look on the male, or the tail, and the female especially looks overly goosey (I think itīs the head shape(EDIT: Changed a few pixels to address this)) but you get the idea; it's a step in the right direction anyway.

All those colors are taken from the creatures in that compilation there by the way, except the darkest blue on the male's belly since there wasn't an adequately dark example.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:33:31 pm by Cruxador »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 26, 2019, 10:55:59 pm »

There isn't a fixed pallette, actually.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2019, 11:51:53 pm »

Eh, I'd kind of prefer the graphics to use raw-defined colors, either using separate sprites for each color region or futzing around with alpha channel stuff and forcing all tilesets to be PNG (which they should be anyway).

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2019, 01:47:52 am »

What will the giant animals look like? Will they use the same graphics as the ordinary-sized versions?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2019, 02:24:26 am »

What will the giant animals look like? Will they use the same graphics as the ordinary-sized versions?
With a big capital letter painted on their sides, so you know they're giant.  :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2019, 04:17:05 am »

Giant creatures will look a lot bigger. In most cases we will probably go with the same sprite, 2x the size. In case of the giant insects we probably have to make new sprites.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 178