Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436224 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #360 on: March 27, 2019, 01:14:34 pm »

As a one-time poultry owner, that guinea fowl makes me happy. Needs brighter speckles tho!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »

I really like the beak dog. I've always had problems portraying them in my mind in way they fit the game, but I do think that that design does it really well.

On the other hand, the cat seems a little bit too large and, like the cavy pup, it's head seems to be sticking out a little.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2019, 04:43:12 pm »

First off I want to say that these are really pretty, and way far from what I could achieve with my own abilities, so don't take my critique to seriously. It seems to me though as these sprites have varying grades of polish, with the Beak Dog, Cat, Cow, Dog, Pig, Yak, and Reindeer having highlights that are missing in the others. These also seem more stylized, as opposed to the others being more "realistic", with flatter colors and a viewpoint that allows us to see them in full profile. This might just be a case of them (those not listed above) being WIP, but otherwise you might want to take a look at them to keep a uniform art direction for the creatures at least.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »

Reindeer
I thought it was an elk. The color is more like a reindeer, but it lacks the distinctive lighter chest. Then again the hump on its back is not only bigger than a reindeer would have, but also bigger than an elk would have, more moose like, and the head doesn't distinctly look like any of them. So maybe it needs another pass.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:49 pm »

That Troll(?) looks so friendly!

Will war/hunting trained animals have different sprites?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2019, 10:12:04 pm »

All good trolls do. That's part of why they say trolling is a art.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #366 on: March 30, 2019, 04:11:52 am »

Will war/hunting trained animals have different sprites?
Yes
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2019, 12:06:39 pm »

The troll looks like he's got a muppet mouth, but that's just my point of view.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2019, 08:34:34 pm »

All this negativity...  Trolling?

(j/k, mostly. And given it's a lot better than I'd manage with such a small handful of pixels, I haven't got a nuanced opinion of my own.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2019, 09:54:31 pm »

All this negativity...  Trolling?
No point even having this thread if there's no feedback.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:25 am »

The zombies might be a bit oversaturated, but I wanted to stick to the vanilla DF purple coloring. ^^

Mike did a few changes since I made that, so a couple will be updated. Some male/female versions will be added too.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 31, 2019, 06:53:03 am »

The zombies look great imo, some of them even properly terrifying :D Death sprites are perfect too. Some of the child sprites (mammal ones) feel a bit too big maybe, but realize it's probably hard to do them any smaller. If what you mean is that you're doing female versions of say the peacock and others with noticeable sexual dimorphism it's probably better to base the child sprite on the female version, as most species tend to not display those shiny colors/special features etc until adolescence.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 31, 2019, 09:43:53 am »

Seriously though that peacock needs another pass in order to look like a peacock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 31, 2019, 10:35:26 am »

Seriously though that peacock needs another pass in order to look like a peacock.
I'd say at most a pixel or two nip'n'tuck to the head and upper neck.
The 'erectness' of the tail-fan is also slightly different, but that is probably a function of the bird's current dedication to the display. Otherwise I say it's undeniably a peacock, within the general caricaturing scheme, and nothing else. (Peahens/chicks will be much harder to differentiate with their counterpart fowls.)

Ok, if we're going that in depth (and not everyone took my "trolling about Trolls" comment as light-heartedly as I thought was intended), I also feel like an idiot in thinking there's either a llama or an alpaca represented there, when there's both. I think.

Considered the differing ears of these cousins (in the two or three pixels that probably make the difference) and the more extreme difference in the face. That's assuming the one I thought was your llama is your alpaca and the one above that I seem to have managed to miss the first time of viewing is actually your llama. If the upper one is something else, then I'm no longer sure which camelid either might be.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:43:23 am by Starver »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 31, 2019, 10:40:23 am »

Honestly there are not a lot of pixels to go around and peacocks are very colorful. I think it is very good, but maybe I'm just not skilled enough to see how it could be better. I think just increasing a bit the size of the "eyes" of the tail would be great.

Here, just so it not looks like I'm being annoying for no reason, I tried to MSPaint what I'm talking about:
Top is my proposed solution, bottom original, no new colors.

I think it is important to keep the open tail posture, since it is the most iconic thing about the creature, what do you think?
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 178