Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434172 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #510 on: April 24, 2019, 04:14:46 am »

There are a few problems with Death Dragon's map when applied to DF:
- The tiles display sub tile details which are not available in any realistic fashion using the current DF map layout (i.e. access to mid level tile data). Of course, you could have a number of pre generated tiles with boundaries that do not have any actual relation to where the boundaries are within the tile, but I definitely wouldn't like misleading fake details (which would immediately be exposed as false when you look at the local map pre embark and see that it doesn't match what's on the corresponding region map tile).
- You'd need a huge number of tiles to cover all combinations of information you (or at least I) would like to see displayed, which probably requires either a large number of layers of tiles each adding its own bit, or computer generated tiles that piece the information together (which basically would be a pixel based display packaged in a tile format). You would have to generate the tiles only once with the current DF model, or at trigger points with future versions (magically produced landscape changes, and possibly gradual sphere influence waxing and waning).
- Note that with a 16*16 tile size, each mid level tile would correspond to a single region map tile pixel (ignoring that you currently can't get that information in a timely manner, so it would have to be supported by the map rewrite if you wanted to use it). If you wanted to display region boundaries correctly you'd be reduced to pixel color or a pattern to fill the region with to distinguish between different biomes (although you could use the same pattern with different color to indicate different variations of the same broad biome type, but displaying evilness as well makes even that a bit tricky). The end result would probably look more like a current day political map, where different countries (regions in DF) have different colors, than maps with little forests in green, deserts in yellow, etc. (which would be complicated by evilness, savagery, and tropicality).

While the mid level tiles haven't been brought up yet, they suffer from the same issue that the region one do, namely the unavailability of the underlying detail, which, with the current DF data layout, doesn't exist at all pre embark (and that detail is 48*48 in game tiles per local map tile, should the map rewrite generate the surface level in game tile general information together with the mid level tile one). This assumes the map rewrite retains the current 3 level system with the same ratios as they have in the current version, of course.

Baloney

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2019, 07:07:28 pm »

Can the upcoming Steam version of the game allow a configurable X number of milliseconds between each game state to transition smoothly between them?

This would allow tweens to illustrate movement of all in-game actors. Compared to sprites teleporting from one position to another it would improve the game visually about 5000% and shouldn't be that hard to implement. Will make the game more acceptable by the mainstream for sure.

Would also allow for example optional walking animations during tweening and a different static animation when it has the same position as the previous state. That's more graphics work than just having a static sprite tween around of course but it could be left for modders in the future.

Thank you!

(Btw the reason I want the tween time to be configurable is because those that don't want tweens can set it to be 0 milliseconds and then actors will teleport between positions like in the original. And those that want to watch the game in slow motion can increase the time between state updates.)

(Btw2 please also consider releasing the game on for example GoG, for people that dislike Steam.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2019, 09:11:52 pm »

The technical updates are happening to the game regardless of where you get it from. Including free from this website (and then donate if you like it, of course). Only the tileset itself and music are bonus features for paying Steam/Itch for a copy.

You gotta find someone as dedicated as Meph & co to make a tileset that takes advantage of all the features, of course. That might take a while...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 26, 2019, 11:56:27 am »

(Btw2 please also consider releasing the game on for example GoG, for people that dislike Steam.)
Not only is that not the business of the guys in this thread, it's not even really Toady's job, since taking care of business like that is the reason Kitfox gets the publisher cut.

Also, I think most people who dislike Steam are satisfied with Itch.io, and the people who dislike both are pretty rare.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 26, 2019, 05:43:06 pm »

it's coming to itch.io. itch.io has been in every single press release about this. it's on itch.io, an indie-centric game store. you may purchase it on itch.io if you do not wish to purchase it on steam. it is available, for purchase, on itch.io. as you can see by its itch.io page, one may purchase it on itch.io, an alternative to steam. steam is not necessary, as you may also buy it through itch.io.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 26, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »

Doesn't exactly help that people usually refer to the Commercial version as the "Steam" version (including the name of this thread).

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 27, 2019, 08:09:59 am »

Why? Should they call the steam version Dwarf fortress then the one that'd remain on this site Ascii version? Despite it also having modded tilesets?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #517 on: April 27, 2019, 08:19:47 am »

Internally we called the df version either SteamDF or PremiumDF when we first started. By now the correct titles should be "Dwarf Fortress" for the Steam and Itch.io versions, and Dwarf Fortress Classic for the free one. At least according to KitfoxGames. ;)

The tileset doesn't have a name, but there was some talk about Mephday. (Meph+Mayday)

I'm at fault for naming this thread, I might as well add Itch.io.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #518 on: April 27, 2019, 10:08:24 am »

re:zombies(p.25) The animated dead are dark cyan in tileset DF, necromancers are the purple/magenta ones. Also, what are the prospects on skeletal undead having sprites of their own?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #519 on: April 27, 2019, 11:31:25 am »

Skeletons are among the most difficult sprites to do. So many details... I wouldnt get me hopes up for that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BrythonLexi

• Bay Watcher
  • Alexandra has been taken by a fey mood!
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 27, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »

Hey Meph!  Thank you for all you do.  Do you think we'd be able to have the dwarves wear what they actually are wearing in-game?  I.e. if they have a +cow leather jacker+ on that's dyed midnight blue, it looks like that?  Some of us on the Kitfox Games discord really want our dwarves to look exactly as they're described :^)

Sincerely, NoXIILarxene / AlastríonaCatskill / Alexis DeSilva

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 28, 2019, 04:18:01 am »

Thanks for renaming the thread. That should help counter some confusion.

When it comes to version naming, "Dwarf Fortress" vs "Dwarf Fortress Classic" works fine in marketing material where both versions are mentioned, but not in discussions, as there is no way to distinguish between "Dwarf Fortress", the game, from "Dwarf Fortress", the commercial version of the game, apart from context, and the context may not be unambiguous. Thus, there's a need for a specific term for the commercial version ("Dwarf Fortress Premium/PremiumDF" vs "Dwarf Fortress Classic/ClassicDF would work, for instance).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2019, 05:13:10 am »

Thanks for renaming the thread. That should help counter some confusion.

When it comes to version naming, "Dwarf Fortress" vs "Dwarf Fortress Classic" works fine in marketing material where both versions are mentioned, but not in discussions, as there is no way to distinguish between "Dwarf Fortress", the game, from "Dwarf Fortress", the commercial version of the game, apart from context, and the context may not be unambiguous. Thus, there's a need for a specific term for the commercial version ("Dwarf Fortress Premium/PremiumDF" vs "Dwarf Fortress Classic/ClassicDF would work, for instance).
Or just talk about "Dwarf Fortress" and occasionally mention the "premium tileset/soundtrack". There's not much need to differentiate is there? The more we do, the more chance of confusing new people into thinking some regular part of the game is a "premium feature", when it's not.

Mods made for "premium DF" which are limited to "Steam Premium DF" (Workshop) and not "Itch.io premium DF" are bound to get confusing at some point.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2019, 08:09:59 am »

A mod exclusive to the Steam Workshop would be a Steam DF mod, as Steam implies Premium (assuming that's the term that's going to stick). If we're talking about DF in general, then yes, DF should be sufficient, but if we're talking about differing features, there's a need to specify the level of specificity. Premium DF is known to have an exclusive tileset and soundtrack currently, with the tileset presumably going to be a target for mods (to display added stuff), and thus having a need to be discussed separately (although a good mod ought to support several tilesets). On top of that Steam DF seems to be getting Steam Guff (a.k.a. Achievements [waste of time and effort, in my opinion, in particular when both of those are scarce resources, unless it's done by Kitfox, in which case it's only a waste of money]). Whether there's going to be some kind of tutorial, and, if so, if it's going to be DF, Premium, or Steam seems unclear.

Since this thread is dedicated to a Premium DF feature discussions here ought to have that as the starting point, so any mentioning of DF here ought to be assumed to be the Premium DF unless stated otherwise (but there shouldn't be much need to mention DF much, as it's part of the context).

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 28, 2019, 03:37:01 pm »

Would it be possible to have any visual differentiation for when a creature (at least sentients) are on the ground?  This is an issue I run across often, it would be great to see quickly see who was knocked out by a cave in, or to help me notice if dwarves keep passing out after walking through FB secretions, or if a legless dwarf is crawling around because I have no crutches. It would be even more helpful in adventure mode (which I'm terrible at), I regularly fight battles laying down then spend a long time traveling super slow before I notice that's what's going on.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 178