Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430445 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #570 on: May 02, 2019, 04:43:23 pm »

Idea for savage lands: Patches of missing map scattered through the tiles.
wut?

savagery could actually be done with color saturation, which nicely combines with fog/sparkles(rays) for good/evil
Yeah, sorta a fog effect. Basically the concept that a savage biome would be "uncharted".

Uhh. That sounds like it would be seriously irritating. I want to know what my embark's gonna be like.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 02, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »

Evil water is probably filled with poisonous algal blooms (yellow/green/brownish mess, possibly in patches, and it might even have some red in it)...

It's a bit of a stretch to think savage biomes should be uncharted. Elves should have no problem with the giant animals (assuming the elves are not so illiterate they don't make maps), while evil areas with thralling mists ought to be a fair bit harder to map.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 02, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »

wut?

savagery could actually be done with color saturation, which nicely combines with fog/sparkles(rays) for good/evil
Yeah, sorta a fog effect. Basically the concept that a savage biome would be "uncharted".

Uhh. That sounds like it would be seriously irritating. I want to know what my embark's gonna be like.
He's talking about the look of "uncharted" areas on fantasy maps in general, not saying that details should be obscured.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 02, 2019, 06:40:59 pm »

wut?

He's talking about the look of "uncharted" areas on fantasy maps in general, not saying that details should be obscured.
He said "patches of missing map" to represent savage biomes. That would be seriously irritating.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 04, 2019, 02:28:16 pm »

The map looks great as always Meph!

Apologies if this has been suggested elsewhere, but have you thought about making a "parchment" -style world map? So instead of making it look like a satellite view (with lively colors), making it look more like you've unfurled an old scroll? Something similar to

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #575 on: May 04, 2019, 02:30:25 pm »

I was all for it, but I think the general consensus is "colorful world" instead of "parchment map".
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #576 on: May 04, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »

Once again I'd like to note that the adventurer mode map (the [Q]uest log one) has a brown/sepia tone, presumable to make it look like one of those aforementioned parchment maps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 04, 2019, 03:05:36 pm »

I remain fully in favor of parchment-style maps.

klonk
Sigtext

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »

I'd personally be totally for parchment ooption if there will be a way to see the information we usually get from colours on the map(like alignment, desert-glacier)

CL3AR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 04, 2019, 03:52:55 pm »

I would prefer the more colorful maps instead of parchment. Both for readability and to fit the more colorful style of the tileset.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 04, 2019, 04:12:04 pm »

Given the possibility of different tilesets for map and gameplay, I'd be totally for a parchmen-style with toggled  color  overlays for the additional informations. Remaining close to the past setups just for the sake of tradition would be a mistake, IMHO. I can relate to some of the opinions stated above but... It seems to me that it all reduces to personal preferences of a Very Limited pool of people. In the absence of direct effect on the gameplay, I feel like this kind of decisions should conform to a more general style you guys want the game to have, in order for the total experience to have a single character, as opposed to a colorful mix of a thousand ideas. That said I love how you're pitching ideas at the community, I'm sure the final result will be awesome!

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 04, 2019, 05:47:03 pm »

Seems like parchment style would be a ton more work on the backend. Without that, at the end of the day we are still going to be working with tiles, so you are talking about a parchment tileset when you say parchment style map. The sample "parchment" maps shown are all hand drawn custom line drawings. My guess is it would take an extensive fundamental change in how the world data is reported to to world gen view function. 

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 04, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »

you are talking about a parchment tileset when you say parchment style map.

That's exactly what I meant, sorry for any confusion. But it seems this has been discussed at length before, and I agree the parchment tileset is probably less readable than the colorful one.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 04, 2019, 09:04:18 pm »

Ah well. Maybe we'll get something in sepia for quest logs and/or Legends Mode?

klonk
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 05, 2019, 03:25:35 am »

The main problem with a "realistic" (parchment) map is that the data to support it isn't available. The spatial resolution is to the world tile scale, i.e. one tile is really one data "pixel", so a 16*16 tile set tile really represents a single world tile data set. Any spatial details shown within a tile will be fake/symbolic, with no actual support for it, as the mid level tile data isn't available (it only exists for the world tile in focus at any one time, plus the 8 tiles surrounding that tile, and this information is discarded and replaced with a new set when the focus is changed).

I hope the mid level tile data will become available as part of the map rewrite, but it's not due until the first Myth&Magic release (and my hope isn't supported by anything Toady has said).
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 178