Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430377 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #585 on: May 05, 2019, 11:57:48 am »

BTW, did I ever post these here?
<3

Giant Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #586 on: May 05, 2019, 02:03:26 pm »

We are currently discussing the worldmap. Since 32x32 is a bit large, the idea is to use 16x16 tiles for it, to show more map at a time.
So no changes to the "engine" in the ragard of zooming and panning?

If it's somehow possible it would be super nice, if we could zoom/pan around smoothly (not in huge steps as it is right now). Like in RimWorld.

Is this possible?
Will it maybe be in the Steam Release?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #587 on: May 05, 2019, 02:17:50 pm »

Nope, you did not. First time even I see the Hydra. :P

Giant Dwarf: No idea.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 05, 2019, 02:29:23 pm »

Would be nice to have the GCS legs taller tough.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 05, 2019, 04:04:29 pm »

Those are some gorgeous sprites. I approve.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:52 pm »

I feel like the abdomen and cephalothorax of the spider aren't adequately delineated. It would help a lot to darken just a few pixels, like so:

Also, it's weird that (based on the eyes) it's angling its cephalothorax to its right, while (based on the markings, shading, and silhouette) it's angling the abdomen to its left.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 05, 2019, 04:59:49 pm »

We are currently discussing the worldmap. Since 32x32 is a bit large, the idea is to use 16x16 tiles for it, to show more map at a time.
So no changes to the "engine" in the ragard of zooming and panning?

If it's somehow possible it would be super nice, if we could zoom/pan around smoothly (not in huge steps as it is right now). Like in RimWorld.

Is this possible?
Will it maybe be in the Steam Release?
The first Myth&Magic release will include a major map data rewrite, and it's unlikely the tile set support work for the Premium version will touch these issues. Thus, it should be highly unlikely that Toady would delve into that only to rip it up as soon as the Premium release is out. It's out of the question that the Steam specific version of the Premium version would have a graphics feature the Premium version doesn't have (i.e. that Itch.io or any potential additional outlets of the Premium version would be discriminated against in that department).

As I said in the previous post, I hope the M&M map rewrite will make some of the Mid Level Tile data available at all times, resulting in a map resolution of (16*16) * (World Width) * (World Height), i.e. 256 * 257 * 257 "pixels" (a bit less than 17 million data points for a max size world [assuming the world sizes remain the same, which doesn't have to be the case]).

However, keeping the next level stored permanently (the above times 48*48 2*2 meter In-Game tiles) would require about 39 Giga data points, and so isn't realistic. On the fly generation of the visible surface data for the zoomed in area might be something Toady may try to implement for pre embark (allowing you to actually see the site, rather than just a general idea of it), and possibly the fort mode civ screen as well. However, I'd guess we're still going to have 3 different zoom levels rather than something smooth (plus the pre embark World map where world tiles are mashed together into an even smaller set), so Adventure Mode would probably see little change (except fewer delays when crossing "feature shell" boundaries).

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #592 on: May 05, 2019, 05:00:46 pm »

@Crux: Oh, those are very good points, actually. Fixes incoming!
<3

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 05, 2019, 10:54:39 pm »

The huge back and the short legs make the GCS look more like a tick to me, which I guess is also a spider, just not the kind I was thinking of.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 06, 2019, 08:46:40 am »

The huge back and the short legs make the GCS look more like a tick to me, which I guess is also a spider, just not the kind I was thinking of.
1. Although also an arachnid, a tick is not a spider and in fact they're more closely related to mites.
2. I can kind of see how you could get that impression, now that you said it, but I definitely didn't feel that association myself; the front end is very different from a tick and is noticeably aranean. And it's not like they're aren't plenty of spiders who also have large abdomens.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 06, 2019, 09:10:19 am »

I have a question, how exactly do you plan to implement gem windows into the steam versions tile palette.

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/bhjuik/stayin_alive/

To kind of draw upon the point, will extra considerations be took to try and not make it too scalding to look at from a aesthetic + health viewpoint?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #596 on: May 08, 2019, 03:00:25 pm »

Since we have the option to show multiple gem-colors on one sprite, I don't think the flickering will be necessary anymore.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 09, 2019, 05:52:53 pm »

Since we have the option to show multiple gem-colors on one sprite, I don't think the flickering will be necessary anymore.

It's debatable, but it could be argued that that was a feature. People used it to make simple animations, after all.

I think it would probably look more aesthetic to have some kind of framed stained glass window kind of thing.

Seradest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 20, 2019, 01:15:51 pm »

is the problem with the + ramps solved ?

and how many animals/monster parts must be made when we get "intersexual breeding" ???

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 20, 2019, 06:25:38 pm »

Ramps were thoroughly discussed awhile back...

Spoiler: ...and revised. (click to show/hide)

They're much prettier now.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 178