Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 435411 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:39 am »

Well, I could put RIP or a cross on them, to show that they have something to do with burials, but dwarves don't speak Latin, nor are they christians.

Btw, in case anyone is wondering why Mike hasn't posted here in ages... That's the reason 😉 (I'm ok with harsh feedback, delivered more and/or less friendly, I'm used to it from modding, but please consider that we are also human)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

tpssurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2019, 07:03:58 am »

Honestly I am okay with the sarcophagi. It delivered the purpose visually to me anyway.
I’m fine wit the “art” or engraving on them.

This is a tile set. A representative thing. Sure feedback is important but sometimes people act like they were jealous for not being able to do it (or have it done) their way.
Just sharing my opinion.

Also, I have a question, will there be a sprite for male and female for humans too? If yes, are they gonna be in the release?

Can you show us a peek?   :D

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 11, 2019, 04:24:45 pm »

Well, I could put RIP or a cross on them, to show that they have something to do with burials, but dwarves don't speak Latin, nor are they christians.
Yeah, as I said there isn't a single obvious solution.

Btw, in case anyone is wondering why Mike hasn't posted here in ages... That's the reason 😉 (I'm ok with harsh feedback, delivered more and/or less friendly, I'm used to it from modding, but please consider that we are also human)
If this is meant to be a point about civility, I should perhaps point out that all the other posters are also human. Most are adults, in fact, but even otherwise, are for the most part reasonably intelligent individuals – there's no call to go talking down to people all the time.

And if you're talking about me specifically, I'd like to point out that after you insulted my intelligence, I responded quite neutrally. After six hours, enough time to put a bit more thought into an interaction even if you were feeling snippy due to having a bad day or whatever, you chose to double down. I don't think my use of emphatic language when clarifying my point entitles you to assume this level of sanctimony.

You know, since you brought it up.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:26 pm »

That varied-furniture thing is nice; I can see it adding a nice touch of life to a fortress. It should probably be toggle-able, though.

I don't want to butt in too much on this whole coffin thing, seeing as it's such a... hotly contested topic just now, but I'll just say: there actually do exist a bunch of medieval-European effigy sarcophagi, quite a few of them very dwarfy indeed in appearance. What if we did something like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Pardon the mediocre mockup)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 12, 2019, 04:00:56 am »

As Superdorf said, variable furniture probably need to be possible to toggle off (or allow the player to select the variant used), as I believe there is a fair number of players who are very particular about appearance, and who'd go nuts over "identical" setups not looking exactly the same.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 12, 2019, 02:19:25 pm »

I don't want to butt in too much on this whole coffin thing, seeing as it's such a... hotly contested topic just now
I don't think the topic itself is, particularly.

but I'll just say: there actually do exist a bunch of medieval-European effigy sarcophagi, quite a few of them very dwarfy indeed in appearance. What if we did something like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Pardon the mediocre mockup)
It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 12, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »

I don't think you even need the effigy on the lid. Superdorf's mock-up looks much more like a box with a lid, while Meph's original concept, the dark shading on the main part of the coffin makes it look much more like a table overhanging a smaller solid block of stone.

I think all you need to try, Meph, is to have a line of shadow where the seam between lid and coffin is, and then shade the sides of the coffin the same or very close to the sides of the lid.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:10 pm »

Maybe you can make it super simple and people will figure it out once they loo'k' at the object a few times like the good old days of ascii.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 12, 2019, 10:55:31 pm »

Maybe you can make it super simple and people will figure it out once they loo'k' at the object a few times like the good old days of ascii.
If you have to loo[k] and memorize, then what's the point in paying for a graphical tileset? In addition to looking pretty, it's supposed to lower as many barriers to entry as possible, not just shift them.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 12, 2019, 11:39:27 pm »

I mean, looking pretty is a bit important? You are absolutely right about lowering barrier of entry though.

If we absolute representation quarry bushes would only have five leaves, so I think we can be somewhat flexible with that.
In a time before time, I had a name.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2019, 01:49:44 am »

Would it be possible to show empty coffins slightly open? I don't remember if they change tile in the ascii version already, but it should be a very easy AND useful addition, talking about lowering the entry bar.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2019, 03:08:20 am »

Would it be possible to show empty coffins slightly open? I don't remember if they change tile in the ascii version already, but it should be a very easy AND useful addition, talking about lowering the entry bar.
Whether it's "easy" or not depends on what information is available, and I believe it's Toady that writes the code, while the artists "just" provide the images that code selects.
When it comes to showing usage state information, free/used is one parameter, but in case of coffins there's also the built/allocated one, as you first have to order coffins built, and later have to come back when that's done to specify how the coffin may be used (burial/pets/tomb). There's a similar designation state information issue with tables/chairs/beds/pedestals... you can designate locations from (and in the case of beds there's also the free/owned and citizen/tavern distinctions for the allocated ones).

Thus, that "easy" change can quickly snowball to a fair number of cases, each of which may be easy to do.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 13, 2019, 05:08:25 am »

Fair enough...

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:28 am »

Thus, that "easy" change can quickly snowball to a fair number of cases, each of which may be easy to do.
Could be done with different half-transparent masks, probably...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 13, 2019, 10:53:28 am »

Could be done with different half-transparent masks, probably...
I'm not worried about the graphical part, as we've got competent artists handling that, including judging what's reasonable to do and what's not, but about the underlying code Toady would have to write to select which tile variant to display.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 178