Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434505 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #735 on: August 25, 2019, 11:13:57 pm »

What are the fifth and seventh row from the top?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #737 on: August 26, 2019, 08:30:45 am »

Pipe sections. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2019, 01:54:27 pm »

Pipe sections. ;)
I find the last one (metal?) to be lacking in its indications of roundness, with the 3:rd one doing the best job in that department (probably due to the indication of a light source shadowing the lower half slightly, and the first two could probably get some improvement in that respect).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:54 am »

I'm not feeling the scaled look of the third hatch cover. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what material it's supposed to be (process of elimination implies metal, but I know you can make metal which looks metallic based on the armor stand).

How well do these sprites inherit the colors of their materials? Or is that something it'll be impossible to determine until Toady implements a more advanced system for that?

I find the last one (metal?)
Glass. Look at the corresponding table; you can see the legs through the surface.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 30, 2019, 08:54:28 am »

If I'm being honest, the cabinets don't really fit the feeling too much. They have a very modern sleek look to them. But great job so far with everything. I especially like the tables and hatch covers although again, glass looks too modern in my opinion. Maybe make it a bit more stained glass like?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #741 on: August 30, 2019, 09:33:28 am »

If I'm being honest, the cabinets don't really fit the feeling too much. They have a very modern sleek look to them. But great job so far with everything. I especially like the tables and hatch covers although again, glass looks too modern in my opinion. Maybe make it a bit more stained glass like?
I agree on the cabinets. It seems most medieval cabinets had doors rather than drawers (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=medieval+cabinet&atb=v110-1&iar=images) so just changing that up could work.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:10 pm »

I agree on the cabinets. It seems most medieval cabinets had doors rather than drawers (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=medieval+cabinet&atb=v110-1&iar=images) so just changing that up could work.

I also agree.  To be honest I like the looks of beds, cabinets and pipe sections from the Meph tileset more.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 01, 2019, 11:49:03 am »

Pipe sections. ;)
I find the last one (metal?) to be lacking in its indications of roundness, with the 3:rd one doing the best job in that department (probably due to the indication of a light source shadowing the lower half slightly, and the first two could probably get some improvement in that respect).

I think the reason it's confusing is because specular highlights on cylinders basically always stretch out along the axis of the cylinder, and are narrowed along the circumference. The current highlight on the glass pipe isn't really possible IRL.

That said, the current glass pipe clearly belongs to the same set as the other glass furniture, so it may be that it's worth sacrificing a realistic highlight for the sake of making it clear that it's the same material in game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #744 on: September 06, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »

I recently made a couple of animal men. Due to their low priority (quite rare) we will be planting animal heads and a few race-specific body parts on the same basic body, with hand and torso position being fixed.

That way we can hopefully overlay their correct equipment later on, breastplate, weapon, shield, etc.

The results are not super pretty, but I'd like to hear what you think nonetheless. The are WIP (which is why they look a bit rough around the edges here and there).

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 07, 2019, 04:03:57 pm »

Can you use another color for the description ? It'l almost unreadable ? (dark brownish over black)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #746 on: September 07, 2019, 04:28:27 pm »

Can you use another color for the description ? It'l almost unreadable ? (dark brownish over black)

Spoiler: Sure (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 07, 2019, 07:35:40 pm »

Maybe not the same sprite for Merpeople (and future fishy folk)?
They look like snake people here, as if they're using their tails to stand up on something as opposed to swimming (which is what they do 100% of the time).

Kind of boring overall, no representation of size differences for example (doesn't have to be perfect, but bird person meets elephant person is just going to look wrong). Animal sprites seem to at least attempt this.

Well, I guess it was always going to be a compromise to try to represent everything with graphics. Good job considering the monumental task. Just a shame Adventurer is still considered "low priority".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #748 on: September 07, 2019, 07:48:21 pm »

Not up to me. You know me, I'd make full civ sheets for all of those, in correct sizes.

It's more a budget restraint. Using the same base is faster (ergo cheaper).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 07, 2019, 07:53:45 pm »

I like them for the most part given the inherent limitations, though I'm with Shonai on the merperson thing.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 178