Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430461 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #795 on: December 08, 2019, 02:33:43 pm »

Any chance we could get a preview of the upcoming necromancer monstrosities?

ophaq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 09, 2019, 10:21:28 pm »

How will this texture pack / Steam release work with the Masterwork mod and the monsters in it? I'm so used to playing with that but it's been ages since I last played DF because I'm waiting for official release lol. Also, how will the performance be with this texture pack compared to other popular texture packs?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #797 on: December 10, 2019, 02:04:46 am »

Any chance we could get a preview of the upcoming necromancer monstrosities?

They probably haven’t started working on these, considering they need the mix-and-match system to work, and until Toady starts working on the graphics the details of this mix-and-match system won’t be clear.

How will this texture pack / Steam release work with the Masterwork mod and the monsters in it? I'm so used to playing with that but it's been ages since I last played DF because I'm waiting for official release lol. Also, how will the performance be with this texture pack compared to other popular texture packs?

Masterwork will need to be worked on separately, just like the other mods. If all goes well, it will be installed through the Steam Workshop. Meph seems to have already started with the Masterwork tiles(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0), so I don’t think a port of it will take too long after the steam release.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #798 on: December 10, 2019, 07:58:16 am »

Yeah, Necromancer creations haven't been worked on by Mike or me yet, since we too have to wait till villains is out. ;)

My tileset can be updated for the new version and will be, while it's a bit trickier with the big MasterworkDF mod, purely based on its size. There are so many workshops, items, creatures, plants, etc that would need new, fitting 32x32 sprites, it will take a while. But it will still be playable with upscaled 16x16 sprites in the meantime.

Release date: Same day as Half-Life 3. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 20, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »

I don't know if this has been discussed in this topic yet. Are there any plans (that can be discussed, I suppose) to increase the number of colors that are part of a color scheme for the steam release?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 21, 2019, 05:45:11 pm »

I don't know if this has been discussed in this topic yet. Are there any plans (that can be discussed, I suppose) to increase the number of colors that are part of a color scheme for the steam release?
Toady has mentioned color increases vaguely as a possibility, without specifics.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #801 on: January 05, 2020, 11:11:17 pm »

Posted to watch but also have a question: Will there be a proper layering of stuff on specific tile (such as when dwarf is on the same tile as dug up ore, etc.) so they're layered on top of each other (perhaps with some offsets to make it look like dwarf is holding an item when hauling is involved) instead of the current blinking of every item (which gets annoying when there are a big amount of stuff on a tile, like initial wagon or when caravan visits and unloads into the depot)?
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #802 on: January 06, 2020, 06:57:10 pm »

There will be transparency, but showing all items at the same time with layering might make things unreadable very quickly. Just consider a corpse, it drops all it's equipment and clothing. That's easily a dozen objects in one place. There is also a limit to the layers we can do.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 10, 2020, 09:25:00 am »

I think there should be separate sprites for children so I won't facepalm why that muscular-looking dwarf isn't doing anything useful once I check him/her out and notice he/she is a kid.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:44 am »

Regarding world map, why can't it be like the region-detailed map you get when exporting legends (example)? With perhaps sites, etc. put on top.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 10, 2020, 12:21:52 pm »

Regarding world map, why can't it be like the region-detailed map you get when exporting legends (example)? With perhaps sites, etc. put on top.
Technical limitations...

The reason is the current map design (one of the things that is to be changed as part of the Myth & Magic non backwards compatible changes). The Mid Level Tiles (MLT) literally do not exist outside of the current world tile + the world tiles immediately adjacent to it (a 3*3 world tile area, and that area is shrunk further to a single world tile pre embark). When you enter a new world tile ones outside of that 3*3 area are removed from memory and the new required ones are generated from seed (and the remaining ones are shifted around), with some kind of logic handling modifications of the areas if they have been loaded earlier. Note that this is a simplified explanation: there are additional complications from the current map handling system.

One of the things the map rewrite intends to achieve is to decouple different levels of the world from each other, so caverns, etc. can be generated only as needed, which is particularly important in adventure mode, where you move along the surface a lot, but rarely have any need for the caverns (and into the rock layers even less). This decoupling ought to allow for the MLT level to be loaded at all times (but the detailed, in-game level still has to be generated/unloaded even if the surface is completely decoupled from the levels below [a maximum size world is 257 * 256 world tiles * 16 * 16 MLTs * 48 * 48 in-game tiles = 38,957,285,376 ~ 39 Gigatiles, each of which has to keep track of material, fluids, plant growth, construction, ... in it]).

Thus, it is a possible outcome of the map rewrite, which can be estimated to be released during the latter half of this decade, assuming the current plans aren't deviated from too heavily.

Proudbucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 18, 2020, 08:47:42 pm »

Meph, Mayday,

You might want to check the post at reddit that discusses the tileset:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/eqiz53/opinion_poll_about_graphic/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 18, 2020, 09:10:22 pm »

Meph, Mayday,

You might want to check the post at reddit that discusses the tileset:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/eqiz53/opinion_poll_about_graphic/
Hopefully the OP adds a link to this thread. It's very odd to see people discuss the state of the ramps all over again.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 20, 2020, 05:50:57 am »

Who is copyright owner of Steam/Itch.io official tileset?
Bay 12 Games or Kitfox Games?

Upd.
Spoiler: Answer from discord: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:18:39 am by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #809 on: January 20, 2020, 12:27:37 pm »

I had a look :)

Legal questions are better aimed at Tanya from Kitfox. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 178