Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 435215 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #915 on: March 03, 2020, 05:45:24 pm »

Yeah, do it like TWBT. Color in the bottom layer based on the fur color. Then the top layer adds the parts that don't get recolored. The game already has the ability to color in stuff

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #916 on: March 03, 2020, 06:19:30 pm »

I have no problem badgering poor Tarn Adams with ideas and community suggestions. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 03, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »

I'm worried their ancient computers won't be able to handle the graphics. My 2008 laptop could not run Meph and it could only run Mayday with Tallcastle's creatures after a fresh reboot.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 03, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »

I'm worried their ancient computers won't be able to handle the graphics. My 2008 laptop could not run Meph and it could only run Mayday with Tallcastle's creatures after a fresh reboot.
So don't play with graphics. They'll be completely optional as they always have been. Just play as you've always done.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:27 pm »

My new 2012 laptop can handle Meph, but I'm worried about the developers computer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 03, 2020, 07:57:59 pm »

My new 2012 laptop can handle Meph, but I'm worried about the developers computer.
Toady's computer?
He earned $15000 last month. Can probably afford to upgrade if he really needs to. I expect Kitfox would lend him a graphics card if he really needs it...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:00:56 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 03, 2020, 10:43:58 pm »

Yeah, do it like TWBT. Color in the bottom layer based on the fur color. Then the top layer adds the parts that don't get recolored. The game already has the ability to color in stuff
Although it would work, that's not as efficient as a setting a channel. The downside of setting a channel, of course, is that the available selection of image formats and programs which support dymanic channels (beyond repurposing of aRGB channels) it is smaller, and fewer people know how to do it. But it's not like it's hard to pick up.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #922 on: March 04, 2020, 03:56:35 pm »

Everyone will say the fox is too big, but I love foxes so much that I couldn't help but choose a size that would allow me to give it sufficient detail.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:06:21 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #923 on: March 04, 2020, 04:38:08 pm »

Everyone will say the fox is too big, but I love foxes so much that I couldn't help but choose a size that would allow me to give it sufficient detail.

The fox is a good size, I think, at least in comparison to the elephant seal which could be much bigger. Or maybe it’s just the frontal perspective where most of its body is hidden; the height compared to a dwarf looks like it should be roughly right.
Hmm, it would be nice if you put up a dwarf sprite next to all of these to make the size visualization easier. I guess I could do that myself though :p

The crab should be bigger, it’s not a vermin in DF after all, but a creature twice the size of a cat.

Also, is that a grimeling? I’m stoked to finally see one!

Edit: I really like how the deer turned out :)
Edit 2: crabs

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #924 on: March 04, 2020, 05:04:09 pm »

Oh man, that's great about the crabs because that's another animal I also really like!
Also, according to the wiki, they actually grow to be quite bigger than cats?!
<3

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #925 on: March 04, 2020, 05:24:46 pm »

Oh man, that's great about the crabs because that's another animal I also really like!
Also, according to the wiki, they actually grow to be quite bigger than cats?!

Haha wow, I remember drawing the comparison before but my memory must have been corrupted towards the ”reasonable”. IIRC they turned out larger than the coconut crabs I modeled for my mod (roughly, using cylinders), and coconut crabs are ”at the size limit for terrestial arthropods” according to wikipedia (citation needed though).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 04, 2020, 08:56:32 pm »

There are lots of creatures in this game which exceed the maximum size for their presumed biology assuming Earth's gravity and atmosphere and etc.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #927 on: March 05, 2020, 03:07:25 am »

Hmmm, in that case maybe it would be better to keep a reasonable size for the crab sprite?
Or are they somehow significant in-game?
<3

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #928 on: March 05, 2020, 04:16:53 am »

@cruxador Are you talking about Forgotten Beasts, GSCs and other non-RL beings? I would argue them being fanciful by nature allows them to break the laws of physics even more than others, but I digress. Larger-than-life crabs are fine, my comment was mostly of a joke about the sillyness of the situation.

The crab sprite should bigger though; what's "reasonable" for DF graphics should be whatever is closest to the DF raws, and in this case they tell us crabs are non-vermin larger than cats (or relatively to a dwarf ~the size of a cat, I've already had my case of size nitpicking).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 05, 2020, 09:21:20 am »

@cruxador Are you talking about Forgotten Beasts, GSCs and other non-RL beings? I would argue them being fanciful by nature allows them to break the laws of physics even more than others, but I digress. Larger-than-life crabs are fine, my comment was mostly of a joke about the sillyness of the situation.
"fanciful by nature" isn't a thing in DF physics either. There aren't magic critters and normal critters, they all just work the same.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 178