Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430449 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Premium DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 02:52:45 pm »

That's... that's it! The lighting's reversed!

Wait wait wait, lemme try and mock something up on piskelapp...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 02:56:20 pm »

Wow, the shading of the older mock-up looks awesome for the rooms, but I think the ramps still look weird. The ponds need also a little bit of shadows inside the banks, so they look more like ponds and less like puddles.
We didn't want to include the shading on Steam, because it's wip. Not coded yet, it's just photoshop magic.
Too bad, I hope you manage to get it in the game. With the shading, the rooms really look like right out of an official D&D campaign map.

Will all features that are currently only possible with TWBT, also be possible in the Steam version?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 02:56:49 pm »

Here an older mock-up with shading. Does that help with brain switching?
It fixes that issue, but now it looks like the whole z-level is some kind of levitating ziggurat. I agree with Death Dragon, shading in outdoor tiles should respect the direction of the light (not sure if indoor tiles should) but I also think the ramps need some shading to depict their (currently absent) curvature. Particularly at the bottom, that'll help them blend in with the shading of the ground so they don't look discontinuous. But honestly I think these shading overlays need to be handpainted as an additional layer (or new tile) rather than just a flat grey overlay.

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 03:00:16 pm »

Maybe it would help if the ramps weren't at a 45° angle, but offset like the rest of the sprites. Sorry to just be a critic, I wish I could offer more than that.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »

Yes yes yes it works!

It works!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 03:21:40 pm »

waterphage13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 03:25:26 pm »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 04:01:46 pm »

Okay guys, I've heard many complaints about the ramps (never was 100% happy about them either) and you can be sure I'm going to try many solutions.
And yes, the shadows next to walls (which I've proposed even way before TWBT was created) are veeeery probable to end up in the game.

Also, hello! I will be posting here quite a bit now that the project is announced.

@waterphage: that video was extremely helpful. I was aiming at conistency in the light source, but in this case I understand how a different direction for the ramps will probably look better, even if inconsistent with the lighting of the other sprites. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:11:03 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 04:23:24 pm »

Consistency in light source doesn't apply if things aren't viewed from a consistent angle.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 04:37:15 pm »

That's true, I was just afraid it'd make things even worse. Oh well!
<3

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:02 pm »

Will all features that are currently only possible with TWBT, also be possible in the Steam version?
From the discussions we had, I'd say that most if not all TWBT features will exist in some form or another in the official steam DF. Including several new features, for example caste-specific sprites or the new walls.

Maybe it would help if the ramps weren't at a 45° angle, but offset like the rest of the sprites. Sorry to just be a critic, I wish I could offer more than that.
If they are offset it looks great, until you have multilevel view and everything breaks. ^^

PS: Love that I just opened the thread and already people are posting all kinds of feedback, mock-ups, suggestions. It's great. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 05:20:14 pm »

It is so cool to see you two on this project. Maydays' tileset was the first I used when I started playing DF and Mephs' is the one I currently use.
I am super exited to see what your combined talents will create, with the newly coded features from Tarn!  :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:38 pm »

Oh, it's mostly like this:
-Mike: "We should be careful with the combinations of colors and shading, it must be highly visible and fit one tone."
-Meph: "Here are all the 37 raw color combinations mixed with all the actual RL values for simulated nonsense that no one cares about, but we gonna do that right?, right? With the other thing-a-mick it's only 33.400 possible combinations, that's fine."
-Mike: *facepalm
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 05:41:20 pm »

I have to admit, I can actually see superdorfs as ramps, where as the official one all I can see is just pillars and odd perspective.... other than that it looks as good as tileset can

Although I prefer this idea for the ramps, keep them abstract seems like a better idea IMO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178