Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430416 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Premium DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:00 pm »

Interestingly, although I don't personally like neither Meph's nor Mayday's styles - sorry guys, just too dim and detailed for my liking, so I play with Spacefox - these new screenshots look very light and clean. How did you do that?:)

(Just to be clear, Meph's hi-res and hi-detail tiles are gorgeous per se, so I wasn't quite correct talking about the style, it's more about usability of such style in game for me.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 05:51:53 pm »

I have to admit, I can actually see superdorfs as ramps, where as the official one all I can see is just pillars and odd perspective.... other than that it looks as good as tileset can

Although I prefer this idea for the ramps, keep them abstract seems like a better idea IMO
This is what I do in the Meph Tileset, but based on necessity. Now with Tarn coding on the graphic back-end, we can do better.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 05:55:34 pm »

First off I'm very excited about the new release coming to Steam.  Really cool to see the project expanding like this and longtime modders getting added to the team.

The new screenshots look amazing  I think my favorite thing are the workshops, outstanding.

Like many the first thing that stuck out to me were the ramps, where the surface transitions between Z levels.  As others have said, it makes it seem to flip up/down and it's somewhat hard to tell how everything is oriented.

The shading that was showed off (photoshop magic) is cool but I was wondering if it's possible to make it where ramps going up are always lighter and ramps going down are always darker than the "base" tile.

At any rate, I'll be following along with your progress, it seems that you have a lot of work to do, getting things into shape for the Steam release.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »

Interestingly, although I don't personally like neither Meph's nor Mayday's styles - sorry guys, just too dim and detailed for my liking, so I play with Spacefox - these new screenshots look very light and clean. How did you do that?:)
Because they are done in photoshop. That's why everything is so uniformly colored.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:49 pm »

Hey mifki! To be honest, much of what was in "my" first tileset wasn't my work. My personal style is indeed closer to Spacefox's and I'm trying to enforce it in this project quite a bit, much to Meph's chagrin >_< But yes, it will be harder to maintain in-game if we let the game modify the colours, which I'm trying to avoid.

Here's a first pass at modified ramps:

<3

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 06:16:06 pm »

Hey mifki! To be honest, much of what was in "my" first tileset wasn't my work. My personal style is indeed closer to Spacefox's and I'm trying to enforce it in this project quite a bit, much to Meph's chagrin >_< But yes, it will be harder to maintain in-game if we let the game modify the colours, which I'm trying to avoid.

Oh it explains then :)

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 06:18:57 pm »

I do prefer it without the shadows, at least on the ramps. the ramps have their own shadow and it makes then  look like them look  like they are floating could you put a small hill in the clearing so we could see what all sides of the ramps would look like?

I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe something similar to ruts along the slops might help show they are sloping up and not an isometric view of a wall from an angle.

I hate sounding so critical, it really looks great. I think it will look amazing with multi level view on and the ramps so we could the the full height of a pyramid or similar.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »

Critical is good. Worst case scenario, we dismiss it as nonsense, best case scenario, it helps us build a better product.
<3

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 06:51:10 pm »

IMO this version is both easier to look at and considerably easier to understand than the previous versions shown. 

In more general terms, can we get a (possibly optional variant) version where things don't tile quite so seamlessly?  Or, better yet, a way to easily toggle on and off a thin (1 px?) grid overlay.  I'm a "gameplay over graphics" person most of the time, and one of my main issues with stuff that looks this pretty is that it ends up taking much longer to figure out exactly how large and how far things are. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 06:54:50 pm »

IMO this version is both easier to look at and considerably easier to understand than the previous versions shown. 

In more general terms, can we get a (possibly optional variant) version where things don't tile quite so seamlessly?  Or, better yet, a way to easily toggle on and off a thin (1 px?) grid overlay.  I'm a "gameplay over graphics" person most of the time, and one of my main issues with stuff that looks this pretty is that it ends up taking much longer to figure out exactly how large and how far things are.
That's super easy to do. :)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:58 pm »

- +1 to taking the shadowing out from under the ramps. It's not helping any.

- Maybe lighten the shade on the southern ramps? It's so dark, it makes the ramp look steeper than it should, almost like a wall. The side ones, too, could use a brightening up-- they'd ideally be a little lighter than the surrounding grass, so as to pop out of the landscape properly.

- There's some kind of bright green border where the ramps meet the rock... not sure what to make of it. It doesn't look natural.

All the ramps are much more legible now, at any rate. And the rest is just beautiful.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 07:55:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this is a huge improvement! I love the art and I'm personally excited about how this project seems to be going.  It looks like a lot of what I want in graphics you are already doing, but I'll list them anyway for the hell of it.

1. I think dead creatures laying on the side is super helpful to clearly differentiate living, dead and undead.

2. Body parts, especially teeth, looking like teeth or whatever else would be great.

3. If there was some way to understand which direction a creature was looking or moving (facing up, left, right, down) that would go a long way towards making the game feel graphically intuitive.

This work is all beautiful and I'm very excited for the release. Thanks for all your hard work!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 08:03:45 pm »

I don't think the ramps work as it is. It's difficult to understand what's going on without consistent shading throughout all tiles, and a different perspective for ramps, sprites, and inside structures doesn't make it easier.

I would suggest trying to let the ramps fade out towards the top, and have ramps on lower elevation fade out towards the bottom.
Fadeout color towards top should be the same color as unexplored rock. Fadeout towards the bottom can be a more foggy blue or whatever.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 08:18:26 pm »

That "first pass" is an improvement on the shading, but it the shadows still look like it's hovering. And the sharp edges still look bad. CLA's version looks a lot better, but I was hoping this would get to a point of showing more than one z-level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 178