Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430501 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:40 pm »

WELL, I'm afraid smooth ramp corners would make multilevel view a LOT more difficult for Toady. So I'm skipping that one for now, sorry.
<3

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Premium DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »

There could be a directional arrow overlay on creatures to indicate facing. This would only be relevant to Fort Mode if, for example, formations were added to squads, and you'd actually have control over your units' headings.

No, it's actually a good idea. It would take much work though, the current slopes are created semi-automatically (I copy the floor texture and place an overlay on it, then tweak it a bit and that's that). If I go into manually editing all slope sprites it will consume lots of time (each floor type requires a separate set and with Mephs zeal there will probably be hundreds of those ;).
I might end up doing it for the most ubiquitous floor types though!
The solution is, of course more overlays! Not sure how much you can do with an overlay that needs to work on all floor textures, however.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2019, 06:49:53 pm »

Sounds fine to me. I'll be keeping an eye out around here.  :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2019, 07:29:02 pm »

Was wondering about the workshops you linked on discord yesterday (hope it's okay to link here?), more specifically the loom (I assume the one with the webbing is the loom anyhow?). While they all look great, the loom feels a bit too specific being all focused on a spiders web, when many forts might rely solely on wool/hair/thread. Just a thought ^^

Loving what I've seen of the set so far anyhow, keep up the amazing work!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2019, 07:56:39 pm »

Most workshops feature a resource and a product. For example wood and coke on the wood furnace. The loom shows thread and half a spider-web. It's not different from the setup for the other workshops. Hair is difficult to show, because it should be so much smaller than 1pixel, so the spider web was easier to use than trying for a clump of animal hair. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:26 pm »

True I suppose, and guess wool might not be much easier. I'm about as far from an artist as one can get so not very good at visualizing that kind of stuff or if there's any feasible changes or additions to make, that one was the only one that in my mind stood out somewhat anyhow (I'm sure I can get used to it either way).

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:54 pm »

I like the ramps a lot, but when you have them just on one side, then there isn't really much indication that you're looking at ramps:

Should there be more of a light gradient going from the lowest point to the highest?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »

I know this is WIP so I just wanted to confirm: The greyscaled versions will be properly replaced by depictions of partially completed workshops, right? I assume that's why you went for the "collection of things" look rather than trying something more cohesive.

As for the loom specifically, you wouldn't weave spider silk like that anyway. Considering that the graphics are supposed to move away from representation via unrelated symbols (as in ASCII) to be more representational, I agree that switching to something more realistic would be a good idea. It's also weird that you've depicted mechanisms hung up to dry.

From an art standpoint, aside from content issues I think the main problem that really jumps out in the workshops is that all the forges and furnaces lack the appearance of depth. They look like they're maybe a foot deep at most, but they should be at least as deep as they are wide.

True I suppose, and guess wool might not be much easier. I'm about as far from an artist as one can get so not very good at visualizing that kind of stuff or if there's any feasible changes or additions to make, that one was the only one that in my mind stood out somewhat anyhow (I'm sure I can get used to it either way).
Really, it should just be spooled thread, since thread is the actual input, and the webs that get collected would be spooled or otherwise treated as a thread and not carefully carried while fully intact. It's a shame spinning happens at the farmer's workshop, since that would open up some options.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 01:39:07 am »

I don't know if it's possible, but making it easy to do re-paints of the stock tileset would be a nice way for modders to get good graphics without having to start from scratch.

silvernocte

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite color is Adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2019, 02:04:23 am »

You know, it looked so natural next to the slopes that I didn't bother to question it, but is it just mockup shenanigans, or will trees be viewed from a more sideways angle somehow?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2019, 03:16:48 am »

I'm having second thoughts about the above presentation of trees. It's looking really awkward. Experiments to come!

@Pillbo that's more a matter to discuss with Kitfox. I'm sure if people limit themselves to releasing such remakes of the stock tileset to the Steam Workshop, there's nothing morally questionable about it. Any legal problems are not my speciality though.
<3

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2019, 09:19:36 am »

I'm having second thoughts about the above presentation of trees. It's looking really awkward. Experiments to come!

@Pillbo that's more a matter to discuss with Kitfox. I'm sure if people limit themselves to releasing such remakes of the stock tileset to the Steam Workshop, there's nothing morally questionable about it. Any legal problems are not my speciality though.
I'd do the trunk, top-down, just like in my tileset. It's the only thing that works when you scroll up/down z-levels.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:56 am »

Yeah, I'll look for some solution that doesn't look like just a stump.
<3

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2019, 01:31:50 pm »

As it stands, the tree tiles resemble character sprites more than they do landscape tiles: they're at a three-quarter angle, nearly a side view. It's very pretty, but I can't see how you'd do a multi-level tree that way--- you could mayybe do some really weird z-level stuff to display the entire tree at once, but that'd generate all sorts of other problems in the process.

Sooo... top-down trees would fit better, I think, with the surrounding terrain, especially when you start fiddling with z-level integration and whatnot.

Perhaps there's another solution. But right now, I'm not seeing it.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2019, 02:19:06 pm »

I feel like if the slopes are top-down then the trees should be top-down also, for consistency's sake. The entity sprites should stay in side-view, though, since they're more readable that way.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 178