Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430483 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #705 on: June 25, 2019, 04:39:48 am »

Now that I think of it, strange moods should probably show a workbench or something.
I don't that would fit, because some moods are textiles/leather (soft), others rock/gems (hard), others make metal objects (smithing), and the workbenches and tools required would look different.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 25, 2019, 04:56:07 am »

Now that I think of it, strange moods should probably show a workbench or something.
I don't that would fit, because some moods are textiles/leather (soft), others rock/gems (hard), others make metal objects (smithing), and the workbenches and tools required would look different.
It's symbolic. Almost anyone should be able to recognize that a woodworking bench with a vice on it relates to crafting stuff.

A saw and chisel/hammer would also work. Those could have a colored outline/glow instead of an exclamation point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:02:01 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #707 on: June 25, 2019, 05:15:00 am »

Personally, I'd be more of fan of something like this:

or this:

Aka an "I have an idea and need to start thinking/working real hard"-icon. Obvious issue is that lightbulbs didn't exist back then, but it's a UI element for the player, not an ingame item.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:05 am »

Replace the light bulb with a candle.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:05 am »

Or with several stars.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 25, 2019, 12:02:22 pm »

I like the gearhead idea, actually. In addition to gears being a thing in DF, it conveys the fact that the dwarf's mind has been overtaken by mechanistic concerns, beyond just the idea that he's thinking. That's consistent with putting normal life on hold.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2019, 12:22:10 pm »

+1 to the gear thing. It needs a beard, tho!

...Actually, a gear-head might be a bit finicky to do with so few pixels to work with. What if you just did a gear or two by themselves?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »

The problem I see with the gear/gearhead idea is that while strange moods currently are more or less sudden ideas, they will be getting more (explicit) reasons behind them in coming versions. The exclamation marks might be better for those future expansions, as fairies or possessions by non-dwarven minds may not be too interested in gears.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 25, 2019, 05:21:53 pm »

One could perhaps use a lightning bolt to represent it being a flash of genius kind of thing, and have it be yellow for a regular mood, blue for supernatural inspiration and red for fell or whatever would fit the  moods we have/eventually end up with.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »

Brainstorm. Brain with lightning bolts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 07, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »

I was curious about the mix-and-match type of character sprites.. would it be realistic for mods to use that system for things like transmutation spells? 

Like if some wizard cursed dwarves with slug bodies, or animal heads, or wings could those parts from the animal men be swapped in/added to?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #716 on: July 08, 2019, 03:04:56 am »

There is an internal discussion about showing things like individual limbs (for injuries) and how many different sprite-parts we can use (number of layers that are baked into one sprite) without making it too resource intensive. For now the focus is on improving the vanilla system, once that is done I can pester Toady a bit about mod support.

That being said, forgotten beasts should use correct sprites for their limbs, wings, etc, so I think at the very least, the basis should be there. Even if mifki has to TWBT-magic it together in the end for us modders. ^^

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 08, 2019, 12:21:22 pm »

Regarding performance tests, the old "compare surface and underground fps" might be worth adding as a comparative test case. Though in this case the 'surface' might be dining room.

Edit, since this is kind of old:

Not sure what can usefully be done, extra. I know I'd not be reaching for the mouse to right-click and start the necessary cascade of options and sub-options and sub-sub-options, etc, until they rejiggle the hotkey menu nesting too (which will probably annoy me for a while, but may be done so each input method matches the structure of the other) as also mentioned - all this as being under Zach's purview, I think it was said, to investigate.

I mean, Meph might be able to clarify better detail, but AIUI it's still way up in the air, so it'll probably change from what's imagined at the moment (even by someone closer to the project) anyway.

Kind of late here, but maybe you'd be interested in taking a look at how photoshop does menus - option chosen depends on mouse movement direction after choosing.

Another option is to have user-sensitive menus with most (recently) used options quickest to choose, rather than in the order they were developed; similar to how one can encode most used letters to use least number of bytes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:11:52 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 09, 2019, 07:39:32 am »

There is an internal discussion about showing things like individual limbs (for injuries) and how many different sprite-parts we can use (number of layers that are baked into one sprite) without making it too resource intensive. For now the focus is on improving the vanilla system, once that is done I can pester Toady a bit about mod support.

That being said, forgotten beasts should use correct sprites for their limbs, wings, etc, so I think at the very least, the basis should be there. Even if mifki has to TWBT-magic it together in the end for us modders. ^^

Would individual limp system be hard on old CPU? also maybe toady would add multi core support for the steam version? heheehe. Yeah i know

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 10, 2019, 09:02:29 pm »

Very cool, the possibility of modded races being able to mix and match body part sprites to retain the game's look is really exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 178