Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436076 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1275 on: March 29, 2020, 10:56:01 am »

(response to removed comment removed)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:51:14 pm by Toady One »
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1276 on: March 29, 2020, 10:58:01 am »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:51:27 pm by Toady One »
<3

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1277 on: March 29, 2020, 11:01:07 am »

I like the middle (slightly slack) ropes best.

Could we see the checkered tiles on grass? Need to know how they look over a more complex tile.

How would the signs work (assuming they make it in?) Would they be user-selected?

And over un-smoothed rock and dirt as well, I suspect those will be the most common floor types in addition to smoothed rock and grass.

I assume the signs are for the preset stockpile types that already exist?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1278 on: March 29, 2020, 11:13:45 am »

@Vordak, @Vettlingr and others - this topic came up in the last pages - I absolutely don't mind posting edits of our sprites or proposing your own solutions as I value your input a lot. What worries me in that in some cases we're literally down to a few pixels differences when implementing the proposed solution (as in - what we end up doing might look almost exactly the same as your proposal).
<3

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1279 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:27 am »

Yes, that's a sign showing a plump helmet as a representation of a food stockpile. I think making 18 signs that are preset is the way to go. People that want custom markers can always use notes.

Toady is very involved in the art design, posting reference images and talking about what he imagined the fantastic critters or plants. We sometimes make multiple sprites leaning different directions and let him pick. He seems happy with what has been done so far and is a pleasure to work with.

That's the only comment I'll make about the discussion earlier.

Roller-design is final. I know that two axles on each end would be more logical, but fact is that they are connected to a single axle that leads to a windmill or waterwheel somewhere. That's just how machines in df work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 29, 2020, 11:47:12 am »

Question: not knowing at all what would require additional coding or not, if easily done would it be possible to have the rope graphics only apply when a stockpile is unbordered (where the added designation or whatever word to use is most useful), so that if one say makes individual stockpile rooms with walls around it there wouldn't be superfluous ropes along the walls?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 29, 2020, 01:44:45 pm »

I like these new ones better than the old ones. The old ones looked too much like those crowd control rope queue barriers. I like the taut ropes better than the loose ropes. The taut ropes look more like they're intended to be walked over and less like barriers. I think shorter ones might help too with that too.

I like the signs. I hope we can select from a list icons for signs of custom stockpiles, since I mostly use custom stockpiles. Food ingredient stock pile on one side of the kitchen, and prepared meal stock piles on the other side. A giant general-purpose stockpile next to the trade depot. Custom seed stockpiles next to each farm plot. Custom stone stockpile with the stones I prefer to craft with next to the workshops. Drink and goblet stockpiles in the dining hall. Splints, crutches, buckets, and plaster stockpile in the hospital. The only pre-built stockpiles I can think of that I use are refuse and corpses, and maybe the animal stockpile.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 29, 2020, 01:50:59 pm »

You can always make a standard stockpile and then totally change its settings.  No need for a sign selector in that case.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1283 on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:26 pm »

(removed some derail type posts -- this is more or less an official thread, like Future of the Fortress or the release announcements, so please do try to keep hyperbole and derails under control, as I will have to remove posts more than usual to keep the core discussion on track.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1284 on: March 29, 2020, 05:40:32 pm »

Yeah, lets focus on sprites. :)

We had a few ideas we discussed, that aren't coded yet. I'm curious what you make of it:

1. Different floors/furniture for workshops based on material used; or transparent workshop ground so that you can see the constructed floor underneath. Examples show stone/stone, wood/stone, stone/wood, wood/wood. Pros are that it's more realistic and offer more variety and customization option by the player; cons are that it might look chaotic and less readable. (Hence why stone floors are dark and stone furniture is bright, to keep the contrast high. The wood example shows what happens if both have the same hue and brightness.)

2. Different sets of furniture and items for different materials. Again, more customization, but harder to build uniform forts. Sprite count spirals out of control fast considerin the amount of items to be made. I think glass had around 60-ish objects that can be made.

3. Items in containers. The biggest culprits of monotone copy+paste areas in the game are stockpiles. All the fancy new object sprites, all hidden inside the one bin or barrel sprite. What if we leave the bin open, showing one or a few of the items inside?

4. Item variations. Just like grasses and rock floors come in 1-4 options, the sprites for objects could have a small variety to them.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 29, 2020, 06:35:31 pm »

Item variations is gonna trigger someone's perfectionism/OCD, I'm sure. Perhaps even mine. There'll be people furiously building and rebuilding furniture to get it to look the same across all bedrooms. Riots in the streets. Maybe not for the beds, but the drawers look so obviously different that I think even I would feel a little irked by it.

Though actually I'm not sure how much, until I see these in context inside some bedrooms for myself. I feel like if there's enough differentiation anyway, then differences in furniture construction might not be so bad.

Actually, I think an option would be best for it. Overall it still would be an interesting addition.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I like the other suggestions very much.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:37:54 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1286 on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:35 pm »

1. Transparent workshop floors, please.

2. I’d love to have this, even if it initially just means different hues for the different kinds of stone/metal/glass/wood/clay. I’d be disappointed if material-based colors didn’t make it in, as they are in ASCII. Or do you mean ”fungiwood tables should have another design than oak ones”?

3. This would make it possible to see the contents of a bin-stockpile at a glance, yes thank you. It would also make empty bins identifiable.

4. I think it’s a sound idea, but I’d personally turn it off (assuming a toggle); I’m much too fond of unity and too much of a scatterbrain to identify similar-but-not-identical objects as being the same.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 29, 2020, 06:45:51 pm »

1. My opinion about the floor still the same for stockpile and workshops. At the end of the day there will be more fortress built on rock floors though, so if we think that it is possible to make a diorite/granite floor (that if I recall right are white-ish) and the floor was setted to be displayed instead of a premade dark-workshop-ground, the intent of making the tables lightish would be worthless. Then at this point the way out would do a table that could be readable no matter what color the displaying floor was, and then I would suggest that it would take too much effort. So keep the dark standard floor above all. Just my thought.

2. I recall seeing some of those furniture way early on this thread. And a still see the beds a bit off, since they look much more like a flat table and less like a comfy mattress.

3. Displaying the last deposited item? That would be fun! We would still need to use k to know what is inside but would be a really cool feature to see the last... That would be the first to be seen... and last deposited...  :-X

4. YES! I do not know how the game would choose among the variations, but it would be nice to have different furnitures making every bedroom more personal.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 29, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »

...snip...
1. Different floors/furniture for workshops based on material used; or transparent workshop ground so that you can see the constructed floor underneath.
       transparent workshop ground would make it too hard to find workshops quickly when zoomed out. Semi-transparent might work, but otherwise I prefer Different floors/furniture for workshops based on material used

2. Different sets of furniture and items for different materials.
         Yes, please

3. ...snip... What if we leave the bin open, showing one or a few of the items inside?
         Yes, please

4. Item variations. Just like grasses and rock floors come in 1-4 options, the sprites for objects could have a small variety to them.
        Yes, as long as the variation are small, so an item can't be confused with other types. But this low priority in my opinion!

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1289 on: March 29, 2020, 07:04:25 pm »

Also: Stockpiles signs. (Last one is for custom stockpiles). I won't spoil the rest, the intent is to see if any are very unclear. ;)

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 178