Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 436099 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1290 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:57 pm »

1. I like the idea of transparent floors. Toady mentioned that he is going to let people smooth constructions, so I picture people constructing patterned floors with blocks, and it would be neat if those patterns continued visibly under workshops.

2. This sounds great! Don't we already have this when it comes to doors, as well?

3. An alternative would be to use the same kind of symbols you mocked up for stockpile signs. It might be easier at least?

4. This kind of thing seems like something modders would love to have as an option, even if there isn't much of it in the base game. As with #2, you could put a simple toggle in the Options/Preferences for graphics, whatever that ends up being, so that people who don't like this feature can turn it off.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 29, 2020, 07:08:21 pm »

Also: Stockpiles signs. (Last one is for custom stockpiles). I won't spoil the rest, the intent is to see if any are very unclear. ;)

OOOOHHHH!!! The coloured version, obviously!!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 29, 2020, 07:13:59 pm »

I'm of the opinion that any extra customization that isn't all random like the last suggestion there is all good (cause
more than a bit OCD with that stuff),  which means yes on transparent workshop floors as well, nice to be able to customize the color on my own with different floor materials and such.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:17 pm »

Regarding those workshop floors, is that the idea for smoothed tiles?

As it is, the tileset is very orthogonal, with full-tile walls and the stockpile† checkerboards being parallel with those, and the diagonally-laid floorboards depart from that. Might be worth comparing with those same patterns rotated by 45°, at least.

† Might be worth putting in testing queue how do things such as these look:

A: ==>== (the common erase stockpile on stairs)

B: Diagonally-connected stockpiles

▒▒=▒=▒=▒
==▒=▒=▒

C: Disconnected nested stockpiles:

E: Of those icons, the first, fifth, sixth, the one after gems and last two are not clear immediatelly (I guess one is wood, knowing the game).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:20:51 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 29, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »

The herringbone pattern for the wooden plank floor I think helps to distinguish the floor from tables, so I think that not only looks okay, but might be necessary.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 29, 2020, 08:08:29 pm »

Regarding those workshop floors, is that the idea for smoothed tiles?

Just throwing in my 2˘, I hope that isn't the smoothed stone floor.
Team Bug Fix!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1296 on: March 29, 2020, 08:12:03 pm »

That's not the smoothed floor. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 29, 2020, 08:14:01 pm »

E: Of those icons, the first, fifth, sixth, the one after gems and last two are not clear immediatelly (I guess one is wood, knowing the game).

Had to use process of elimination to figure out ammo (looks more like a fork, mace, or chisel.) I quickly determined that five and six are cloth and coins. Leather is a bit confusing (maybe the limbs on the right side need to be bigger.) I could kind of guess wood, but needed to rule out all the others to be sure (a pile of just 3 bigger logs would probably be clearer.) Custom is an abstract concept, so there's not much you can do about that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:23:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 29, 2020, 08:44:14 pm »

Also: Stockpiles signs. (Last one is for custom stockpiles). I won't spoil the rest, the intent is to see if any are very unclear. ;)

My guesses without looking at the list of stockpile names:

tools?, traps?, armor?, bars, cloth/clothing?, coins, corpses, finished goods, food/drink, containers, gems, animals, refuse, furniture?, stone, weapons?, ammo?, custom

my guesses while looking at the list of stockpiles on the wiki:

wood?, animal, armor, bar/block, cloth, coins, corpses, finished goods, food, furniture storage, gem, leather, refuse, sheets?, stone, weapons, ammo, custom

note: i got animal wrong because i didn't realize that the animal stockpile was used for live, caged animals. i saw it was a cage and guessed "traps". I was under the mistaken impression that the animal stockpile was for butchered animal bits.

edit: oh, i think the green shovel is actually a bolt and i mixed up wood and ammo.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:46:06 pm by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1299 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »

Seems that ammo and wood can be improved, those seem to most confusing.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:13 pm »

maybe show the shaft of the bolt extending through the feather part and show the sides of the logs

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:15 pm »

also, maybe make the sheet have a curve at the top and/or make the writing on it have random white space so it looks less like a dresser.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1302 on: March 29, 2020, 09:11:31 pm »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 29, 2020, 09:16:25 pm »

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 29, 2020, 09:23:07 pm »

Oh, wait... so what is the second from left-to-right? Looks like a grate or something.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 178