Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 435745 times)

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1395 on: April 06, 2020, 06:28:50 pm »

Can't it feel both tempting and a bit dangerous? Some sparkles to show that there's some riches hidding but also some swirls in the darkness to mean that there's unknown dangers too.

Definitely, dangerous too. The unknown often seems dangerous. And in df it Very well might be.

And the different details would be super heplful too, both aesthetically and mechanically. But im unsure if i want the details to actually look like they represent something, like riches, actual spakrles and such.
It might feel like clues, and animations might be disturbing in the Very long run, Maybe.
I dont Know if tying the details to any actual depth mechanic would be worth it, Maybe.
But details would be Beautiful. Mystical twirls and vortexes here and there, shades of dark blue and very dark purple colors, cloudy, smoky strokes of a brush, and the occasional brighter spots, instead of animated sparkles. Maybe thats the possibility of riches in a Very abstract sense? And to give Some contrast to the darkness. Like you dipped a brush in White Paint, and waved it in front of a dark blue painting, to make smal spatters of white, Maybe like a starry night sky.

Like this, but Maybe darker, with less dots, more twirls and more dark blue-ish:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5582/lab1ym.jpg

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:05:14 pm by MoltenIdol »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1396 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:54 pm »

Rekov: I have pretty much the same opinion as you, my wall sprites take up about 16px, so that they fill a square entirely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mike isn't a big fan of this, which is why we made both versions for now, thin and thick walls.

We also have little pebble-sprites to fill in a few random unrevealed tiles in the fog of war, just like the occasional # , . ' that you see in ASCII, but a variation of slight rock-like texture is a nice idea. Giving information about the unrevealed walls, like color or material is a no-go.

Simple test with a slight texture on the unrevealed tiles:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:49:13 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:27 pm »

I kind of like the idea of blue grey with sparkles tbh.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 07, 2020, 01:35:04 am »

The slight texture looks quite good, in my opinion. It doesn't look like it's trying to say something about what's unrevealed, while still looking nice. What's missing (which I assume is because that wasn't the focus of the image) is the slight variations. I hadn't realized it before voliol pointed it out, but yes, it does provide an important indication of level changes. It can be noted that random appearing and disappearing "stuff" acts against this sense of movement, as you can't tell if you shifted a level or the display just happened to shift the random elements.

When it comes to animation, I'm against overuse* of it fort two reasons:
- Performance. I assume there's an FPS cost for eye candy, in which case the FPS bucks should only be spent when you actually get bang for it.
- Dizzying overload: If there's change everywhere and every time, it's not only tiring, but also makes it hard to find the "actual" movements. Thus, I'm not sure miners jittering in place etc. is good. There's a huge difference between having 3 critters on a screen in a game and they jitter to let you see them, and having 50 dorfs jittering in place and 50 others that are actually moving.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1399 on: April 07, 2020, 02:17:40 am »

Here is part of what I was talking about, mocked up with what I believe are constructed walls made from blocks, not sure:

Obviously you could come up with a pattern that's less regular than a series of elongated blocks, but the idea is that single-tile-thick walls get filled in completely.

While I'm working on making walls thicker right now, this look is very much in contrary to what the community apparently works.
Rough carved walls are supposed to look very similar to walls constructed from rough blocks.
Smooth carved walls are supposed to look very similar to walls constructed from smooth blocks.
Engraved carved walls are supposed to be almost the same as engraved walls constructed from smooth blocks.

So I'm basically working on some very different designs right now to support that.
<3

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 07, 2020, 03:04:56 am »

I think this runs the risk of looking like asphalt floors with ramps on the level below. Maybe something more abstract is needed, like Perlin noise (cloud effect):

While I'm working on making walls thicker right now, this look is very much in contrary to what the community apparently works.
Rough carved walls are supposed to look very similar to walls constructed from rough blocks.
Smooth carved walls are supposed to look very similar to walls constructed from smooth blocks.
Engraved carved walls are supposed to be almost the same as engraved walls constructed from smooth blocks.

So I'm basically working on some very different designs right now to support that.

It should be noted that the poll on walls is from before Toady announced he's going to allow us to smooth and engrave constructed walls. Not sure how much that changes the community's opinions, but they probably don't need to look too similar anymore.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:14:37 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 07, 2020, 04:11:09 am »

Nice, it makes so much sense.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 07, 2020, 04:23:08 am »

Going back to this conversation, which was a surprising number of pages ago for what feels like very recently:

This is a more complicated question.  Back when I added constructed walls, the intent, and as I recollect, the prevailing sentiment, was allowing you to patch up holes in your walls without the fort looking like a patchwork.  I agree the smoothed picture will look better, but as I currently understand it, we shouldn't make constructed walls look different.  Unless opinions have changed.  Obviously an option would be best, but that's fiddly, and keeping the default the same way may avoid an outcry.

Speaking for myself, I love the idea of rough constructed walls matching rough natural walls, and block walls matching smoothed stone walls (after all, mere humans manage it pretty well.)

I don't like these walls for smooth walls of either variety, though. The general consensus for tileset artists has been that smoothed natural walls are marble tile in a bank smooth, which is a good look in a fortress when you've put the dwarfpower into it.
[snipped Phoebus pic]

What I had in mind, at least, was smoothed natural stone walls like these in India: https://hiddenincatours.com/enigmatic-barabar-caves-india-lost-ancient-high-technology/

http://www.pragyata.com/mag/the-ancient-barabar-caves-near-gaya-808

all a beautiful high gloss, and that block walls, through superior craftdwarfship, would match them in their mirror polish, definitely not that dwarves would carve natural walls to look like blocks.

I don't dare speak for Toady beyond quoting, but we appear to agree that the two smoothed cases should match, so I can mine some ugly malachite vein out of my beautiful marble dining room, and then fill in the gaps with a marble block wall that only a master mason could tell from the natural smoothed stone? (It would be nice if they matched as far as climbing goes as well, but that's not in your hands, I know.)

I'll admit I'm less concerned with rough mined walls and boulder walls, but I wonder if it would bother anyone for them to match as well. It would certainly reduce the number of unique tiles needed if the cases were reduced to "smooth," as above, and "rough" as below:

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/straight-adit-medieval-mine-banska-600w-1456725656.jpg (dug mine)

https://as2.ftcdn.net/jpg/01/19/13/45/500_F_119134596_3qvL4si0ieZNJTZ4jnbYuKIaiRxnplBj.jpg (boulder wall)

Team Bug Fix!

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 07, 2020, 04:53:52 am »

@buildable wall - thewe will be still no way (without DFhack) to unreveal tiles behind constructed walls? Then "constructed walls can be smoothed and engraved" is still not fully solving the issue, at least for me.

Rekov: I have pretty much the same opinion as you, my wall sprites take up about 16px, so that they fill a square entirely.
I really like them

Looks good though more variation would be nice (especially to give feedback that z level changed when entire level is black)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 07, 2020, 11:48:45 am »

I just grabbed an example that seemed relatively easy to widen, I didn't mean anything else by it. As Bumber mentioned, didn't Toady talk about being able to smooth/engrave constructed walls so that they would resemble smooth walls?

Quote from: Toady One
Since many people like to patch up their forts perfectly, and others want constructions to be distinct, the current thinking is to go ahead and allow constructed walls to be smoothed and engraved like regular walls. Engraving constructions is a long-standing request, so even better.
So then you would need constructed walls from logs/boulders, constructed walls from blocks, and smoothed constructed walls (or these would just resemble normal smoothed walls)? Who knows if constructed walls out of non-stone materials will be smoothable/engravable, and what that ought to look like.

Everything I've seen looks pretty awesome in any case, both the thin and the thick walls. As usual it's hard not to see advantages for both. It almost makes me wonder if there should be separate cases, for example single-tile-thick walls fill in completely, but walls up against the vast unexplored don't? That's probably over-complicating it
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:31:05 pm by Rekov »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 07, 2020, 12:36:29 pm »

I'm just gonna categorically agree with rekov on the smooth/engraved walls. Since they represent civilized areas of the fortress, the majority of the tile should have a look as though it's made with intent, and not just a little strip at the edge. However, I will add that if a thin edge texture is used, it could allow for engraved walls to do something worthwhile with that old setting to represent engraved walls as what's on them rather than as a wall tile. I feel like that hasn't been given any thought in part because with its current state, it's confusing and ugly and nobody uses it so it could be cut entirely and nobody would miss it. However, it could look nice if existing sprites and tiles are given a monochrome low opacity look and printed on a base stone texture in between the wall edges. Seems like a lot of work though, and not enough value added to be worth the initial "minimum viable product" release. So, yeah. Just take a note from tilesets that exist and make it look good.

Mike isn't a big fan of this, which is why we made both versions for now, thin and thick walls.
I'm definitely with you on this one. There's enough empty blackness in this game, no need to force more I to a situation where it can only serve to misleading people into thinking there might be something different in between two walls. Plus, a completed fortress area should appear solid and not full of the unknown anyway, just on general thematic principle. Empty void between wall edges just doesn't make sense, and limiting your walls to thin lines doesn't convey the physical gravity that the inside of a mountain very well ought to have. However, the idea implied by earlier in this thread is also viable; you can have a general stone texture in between the walls which is colored to match the stone type when that's known. Then other things can be done with different textures and the way they fade into each other and into the unknown area texture. This has the disadvantage that, being different from how anything in DF currently works, it would probably be a hassle for Toady. It has the advantage that it doesn't prevent him from adding stuff to reveal non-visible tiles in future releases. Although that could be done other ways too.

A pretty straightforward and simple way to do this, as I  Rekov's mockup, would still be considered a good thing although I find that gradient to be too steep for visual appeal.

We also have little pebble-sprites to fill in a few random unrevealed tiles in the fog of war, just like the occasional # , . ' that you see in ASCII, but a variation of slight rock-like texture is a nice idea. Giving information about the unrevealed walls, like color or material is a no-go.
The pebbles and the bad texture aren't incompatible.

I think the way this is implemented is not a distraction or misleading, so it's a success in that regard, however the actual texture used is kind of gross. Looks like silty dead mud (as in, small particles without healthy organic matter) that dried out in the sun. If this gets implemented, please do something not gross. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't have to be drawn out on the same scale as everything else.

Here is part of what I was talking about, mocked up with what I believe are constructed walls made from blocks, not sure:

Obviously you could come up with a pattern that's less regular than a series of elongated blocks, but the idea is that single-tile-thick walls get filled in completely.

Pretty sure ain't nobody voted on what you just described, and I haven't seen it said either. People voted that block-constructed walls should be able to look similar to smoothed walls so that your fort can look nice and tidy. Nobody voted on thin or thick walls, which I'm can't tell if you're trying to imply or if this is brought up as an incidental. I definitely don't think you can correctly infer from the poll that people want block-built walls to look like your current implementation of stone walls of any particular sort. But also, nobody voted on different kinds of block walls. Since the goal from everyone who described their votes and who said similar things in previous discussions over the years (including, at times, with regard to Stonesense) is to be able to patch up holes in places that look nice, I don't think raw stone and rough blocks, therefore, need to look totally similar to respect the intent of the public.

It should be noted that the poll on walls is from before Toady announced he's going to allow us to smooth and engrave constructed walls. Not sure how much that changes the community's opinions, but they probably don't need to look too similar anymore.
Did Toady actually announce this? I checked the devlog, the Steam announcements, and FotF and didn't see anything of the sort. Mind linking where it was mentioned, or at least pointing me in the right direction?

NINJA: I guess what rekov posted is what's called an announcement, though I wouldn't have taken "current thought" to mean "confirmed for next release". I'd still like the link for context if it's handy.

Also, although I know mentioning it to you guys isn't necessarily meaningful, I reckon it would make sense for block-constructed walls to be smoothed from the get-go.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:53:35 pm by Cruxador »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1406 on: April 07, 2020, 12:42:40 pm »

I think there's a misunderstanding here so please let me finish what I'm working on and we'll discuss it then.
<3

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 07, 2020, 01:03:50 pm »

Did Toady actually announce this? I checked the devlog, the Steam announcements, and FotF and didn't see anything of the sort. Mind linking where it was mentioned, or at least pointing me in the right direction?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

03/25/2020 entry, near the end of the second to last paragraph.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 07, 2020, 01:39:49 pm »

While I'm not entirely sure everyone is talking about the same things in any of the recent posts, I wanted to chime in with my take as far as the poll and everything goes. While I can't remember the exact wording of the poll and while I voted for very close representations of smoothed/block walls, I didn't think that included the marked bit above. Those I'd definitely want to be different, but I imagine people might have different opinions on that bit too.

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 07, 2020, 01:52:06 pm »

I think this runs the risk of looking like asphalt floors with ramps on the level below. Maybe something more abstract is needed.

I agree. It doesnt Really look unexplored, more like soil.
I would like some more abstract approach. This exactly an area that would be better abstracted, since you, as a Player looking at the screen, technically CAN See the unexplored tiles from the top down perspective, but your dwarves can't. How do you visualize something looking unexplored when you are in fact litterally directly looking at it. You hide it from the player with an abstract fog or something. It can look beautiful, and add so Much charm. Just look at older games. You WANT to explore the mists of the unknown, expand your horizon.

Honestly, the blackness did it better in terms of feeling unexplored, but the dirt pattern obviously fits the saturated colorscheme better. If it could be just darkness, that isnt just complete blackness, but an acutal carefully picked palette of colors, and all that Stuff, little details, it would totally do the trick of looking unexplored and mystical, while Also mixing well with the general colorscheme of things.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:13:10 pm by MoltenIdol »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 178