Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434443 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1755 on: June 01, 2020, 04:50:25 pm »

My preference is workshops with a thin border to define their area, but no floor; I would prefer to see the floor underneath
because then I could make it smooth, engraved, rough, dirt, stone, wood, or wtf-ever I pleased.
 :D
But I'm just going to wait and see what the graphics gurus come up with and not stress over it.
It should all be moddable in the steam release, eh?  Not long after release, there will be several graphics mods, I'm guessing.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 02, 2020, 09:22:41 am »

My preference is workshops with a thin border to define their area, but no floor; I would prefer to see the floor underneath
because then I could make it smooth, engraved, rough, dirt, stone, wood, or wtf-ever I pleased.
 :D
But I'm just going to wait and see what the graphics gurus come up with and not stress over it.
It should all be moddable in the steam release, eh?  Not long after release, there will be several graphics mods, I'm guessing.
this.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 02, 2020, 06:21:33 pm »

Will full mouse control be a game changer? Once you can flick the cursor quickly across the map and have the workshops and stockpiles highlight as you pass over them, maybe the need for defined floor area isn't so important any more?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 02, 2020, 06:42:55 pm »

Will full mouse control be a game changer? Once you can flick the cursor quickly across the map and have the workshops and stockpiles highlight as you pass over them, maybe the need for defined floor area isn't so important any more?
Not for me. I play with 2 hands on the keyboard and don't prefer to use the mouse. A game breaker for me would be if the mouse ever becomes required to control the game in any way. Optional mouse is fine, "required" is not.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 02, 2020, 09:23:46 pm »

Not for me. I play with 2 hands on the keyboard and don't prefer to use the mouse. A game breaker for me would be if the mouse ever becomes required to control the game in any way. Optional mouse is fine, "required" is not.
Not sure how a natural workshop floor design would somehow make a game unplayable regardless of your choice of controller? Might make them hard to spot for complete noobs, but then, they'd likely be using the mouse anyway.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:57 pm »

I must have missed something, but what does mouse vs keyboard have to do with workshops? 
So I'm not sure why mouse control is being discussed (aside from the "flick the cursor" thing).

I certainly didn't intend to infer that a natural workshop floor would make anything unplayable, for me
it's only an aesthetic issue. Having an integral floor just looks worse imo.

The border really helps me to pick out the workshops amid a cluttered area, especially when zoomed out.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 02, 2020, 09:57:44 pm »

I asked if being able to tell exactly which tiles a workshop was taking up clearly (and therefore requiring a clearly visibly defined floor) was going to be less of a problem in a mouse controlled game where you can highlight the whole screen in a couple of flicks. Was hoping someone with UI experience would chime in.

Not likely to use a mouse either, certainly not demanding it be "required". Was just asking if it makes a difference to tileset design philosophy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 03, 2020, 10:02:55 am »

As it arose from how you'd differentiate 'baseless' furniture, yeah, you could make your cursor produce hovertext hint-bubbles, dynamic 'boundary roping' and/or 'fog of attention' area overshading to indicate what is at your focus.

You have two potential focii, though, as pointed out, mouse-cursor and text-cursor. It needs to work for either (mouse-hover is pixel and/or mickey resolution, text is tile-per-tap). And both. If I'm using the text-cursor to shuffle along the viewport scroll, by nudging the edges, while applying mouse-touches (fine-tuning a non-trivial long feature) then that'd be an interesting challenge to correctly mark without being potentially annoying.

But that's GUI design, applicable regardless of tile design.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 04, 2020, 01:26:13 pm »

This is great, I love it.

This is not. The light colored water just looks like a puddle, rather than a deeper pool.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 04, 2020, 01:42:05 pm »

This is not. The light colored water just looks like a puddle, rather than a deeper pool.

Was just about to say, that brook is a 10/10, just exquisite, and while the regular pool isn't necessarily bad it just pales in comparison. Not sure how to match it to the quality of the brook tho.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 04, 2020, 01:45:30 pm »

I like the rippling effect on both.

The top (image) is obviously shallow because you can see the bottom (of the ?stream?/?brook?), the bottom (image) shows no obvious bottom, but could just be "blue lagoon atoll sand" maybe, psychologically.  Can we easily get a version with lightness+rocks and darkness=depths to compare? Or is "darker-blue lagoon" already reserved for greater Zs of depth than 1Z streams/etc (and maybe the rocky version just doesn't look right as a bright-blue brook).

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 04, 2020, 01:47:50 pm »

My 5p is that all art so far has a "shimmer" problem. Animation makes it stand out more.

Brook water is nice but it has exact same big oval rock in a good dozen of adjacent tiles. It does not look naturally random. Also a dark line separating water tiles is very pronounced. A bit of a gradient would probably solve it.

Lake looks like teal coloured TV noise. Very not naturally looking + now that a repeated pattern moves, repeatedly = water uncanny valley.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:50:45 pm by ror6ax »
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »

Also, I want different water depths to cover different amounts of ramps.

NotEvenBatman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:45 pm »

Can I ask where did u get those 2 images from?
I only follow this thread for the updates on graphic stuff.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 04, 2020, 02:09:21 pm »

Can I ask where did u get those 2 images from?
I only follow this thread for the updates on graphic stuff.

From an announcement on the DF steam page:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2226414325782852009
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 178