Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434602 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1770 on: June 04, 2020, 02:16:51 pm »

Not those, but a number of images commented upon here were linked to in the https://bay12games.com/dwarves/ notes (don't know if that's still behaving badly to some ISP users, I'm on my mobile one l, right now, and that seems to never have had the problems my landline Internet has recently exhibited).

I think people have mentioned Reddit before now, though I stay away from there (mainly on the basis that I would waste even more time/bandwidth than I do now). The images themselves are hosted on Steam Community, so that might be another clue (I used to read the Steam boards, but not yet paying for anything on there makes it impossible for my registered self to post, or sensibly keep abreast of conversations, in the DF subsection).

@Rose: You could confirm for NEB, and maybe me if I'm way off-piste, right?

((Ah, ninjaed. But the maybe I still said something else useful.))

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 04, 2020, 04:03:56 pm »

Fantastic looking water. How will it look with water levels displayed? Might spoil it a bit.

Nice to see Toady confirm a carved minetrack is meant to be a groove. Looks nothing like a groove.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 04, 2020, 04:31:22 pm »

Fantastic looking water. How will it look with water levels displayed? Might spoil it a bit.
That's the kind of thing that could be done as a toggleable overlay. We aren't limited to the strict binary numbers of waves that ascii required.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1773 on: June 05, 2020, 04:07:58 pm »

The pool water is just a placeholder. It took me about 5% of the time that I've spent on the brook.
Right now I'm mostly interested in feedback on the brook . There's currently 2 tile variants, I'm planning to have 4 on total, I was just wondering if my idea for it works.
<3

CL3AR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 05, 2020, 04:14:21 pm »

The brook looks very good

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 05, 2020, 04:54:22 pm »

The brook looks very good, really.Good job

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 05, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »

The pool water is just a placeholder. It took me about 5% of the time that I've spent on the brook.
Right now I'm mostly interested in feedback on the brook . There's currently 2 tile variants, I'm planning to have 4 on total, I was just wondering if my idea for it works.
Well, if I didn't say so already, inbetween the pool chattering-away, I think it does.

I spotted the two tile-types, or four if you count the edging/middle differences. Is that just edge/middle layer differences over them all ('runtime', as it were, or at least intended to be) or the two templates hand-crafted into four sub- (and not so sub!) tile masters?

Either way, the method you used for how much of (particularly) the large rock breaks into the air is interesting, and I'm wondering if additional depth (darkened, no protusion at all, similar (or slightly increased?) ripple-wobble waveletting) is therefore on the cards without greatly increasing the work.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 05, 2020, 05:21:13 pm »

Hmm, if the point is to drive home that it's a shallow, walkable stream I guess there could be a bit of stone protruding above the water also towards the middle areas of it?

Edit: Would also help give it more of a natural appearance. While it's been common practice for ages to clear out rocks from small streams for various reason they're generally not that "clean" if untouched. But that's mostly a flavor thing, either aesthetic works.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:57:54 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 05, 2020, 05:38:32 pm »

(There is. Or at least not totally submerged all the time. That's pretty fordable for a mediæval setting.)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1779 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:29 am »

The brook looks good, even with only 2 tile variants. I wonder though, how do they (it and the pond) look compared to the rest of the environment? I think it is Toady who is taking the screenshots, so maybe you can't grant this request, but it would be nice to see the brooks/pond in a literally bigger picture, instead of these very zoomed in ones.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 06, 2020, 11:01:09 am »

I think the idea works, the lack of variants is the main problem now. I feel like six would be better than four, but then, when wouldn't more be better?

For pools, it would be cool if the pool could define a graphical zone and a wave pattern (picked from like three according to wind speed) could move constantly in a direction corresponding to wind direction.

I don't expect that to be in this initial version since it's complicated, but just thinking about an ideal case and the kinds of options that are opened up by more graphical support. For now, I think the pool graphics will be fine if they're just darkened a bit, ideally enough to be in-line with brooks.

I look forward to seeing how you do seas as well, and in particular, how the wave animation is able to transfer while ideally improving on, rather than forfeiting, its original beauty.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 06, 2020, 02:43:15 pm »

Things like lily pads would be a good way to identify standing bodies of water, at least in appropriate biomes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 06, 2020, 10:42:03 pm »

Things like lily pads would be a good way to identify standing bodies of water, at least in appropriate biomes.
Plants are significant in Dwarf Fortress. They shouldn't be represented when they're not there. Especially a plant like that, where people are likely to see it as a potentially edible lotus.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 07, 2020, 06:13:39 am »

First impression, a little concerned it will look kind of busy. But I guess water does that?

How do the variations where you can see the direction of water look?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:11 am »

double posted like an idiot
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 178