Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434111 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1860 on: July 06, 2020, 09:21:02 pm »

Particularly the sperm whale making a weird pose (do they ever move their cores that much? Can they, even? The only examples I can find that even kind of look like that are the result of severe foreshortening).
I think it's a size constraint issue. Can't have it looking smaller than the whale shark. The pose is exaggerated, but it differentiates them from fish.
Is the sperm whale at maximum possible size already? There aren't that many things it needs to appear smaller than, and since they don't go through narrow corridors, (except maybe as zombies) there's no visual downside to making it huge.

I think even taking that into account though, it looks a bit too weird.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 07, 2020, 02:26:50 pm »

Ok, I have a question for you guys.
After some initial hiccups, I've tried to maintain a consistent perspective for all the land creatures (I probably didn't succeed in all cases...).

How do you feel about this? Do you think perspective is not so important for birds and fish or does it look noticeably wrong to you?

I think you did a great job with them and the perspective looks fine to me.

One suggestion for the heck of it would be to have two sprites for the flying/swimming birds if possible. One for in flight/swimming and one for standing. It'll be good either way but it would be a nice touch.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1862 on: July 07, 2020, 03:25:00 pm »

After some initial hiccups, I've tried to maintain a consistent perspective for all the land creatures (I probably didn't succeed in all cases...).

How do you feel about this? Do you think perspective is not so important for birds and fish or does it look noticeably wrong to you?

One suggestion for the heck of it would be to have two sprites for the flying/swimming birds if possible. One for in flight/swimming and one for standing. It'll be good either way but it would be a nice touch.

”Swimming birds” never swim in DF afaik, so for now it’s a non-issue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 07, 2020, 04:51:14 pm »

”Swimming birds” never swim in DF afaik, so for now it’s a non-issue.
Seperate sprite for standing birds, not swimming birds. Birds stand don't they? Especially when you pluck their wings off.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 07, 2020, 05:19:37 pm »

I don't think they'd stand for it.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 08, 2020, 06:04:35 pm »

Which one of them is the Kea?  I'd like to start hating them on sight.  :)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 08, 2020, 08:08:30 pm »

As to the birds, some of them would technically be flying upside-down given how they're drawn, but really whatever.

If at some point in the future DF starts having things like animation for flying/moving, or even just different sprites for a bird that is flying vs. a bird that's perched on a twig, I think that's the point where it becomes worrying about specific poses.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 10, 2020, 05:38:13 am »

I'm going to re-raise suggestion to animate branches being moved by the wind. IMO it would really add to the life-like-iness of the view.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Surprisekitty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 10, 2020, 12:26:19 pm »

Seeing that picture reminds me of the fact that doors don't seem to have a "direction" when it comes to their sprite. Like, your always looking at the door head on. That's the #1 reason I don't use diagonals with doorways, because the door looks hideous. The door doesn't "look" like it's a diagonal door. It's just a door facing forward that your looking at head on while sitting in a diagonal mineshaft. Is there any possibility of that being changed in the Steam tileset? Like, giving sprites context or something? Like "Oh, you placed the door in a diagonal corridor, so lets use a different sprite that would fit" sort of deal? I'm probably being overly critical, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 10, 2020, 03:11:35 pm »

Perhaps with ramps now doing realistic context-sensitive shading[1], and already having wall-end/corner respriting of some kind[2], it is possible.

Though it would need redrawn versions to suit every situation (including dog-leg, like S to NE, assuming you don't just choose E-W or NW-SE spanning door in the middle square - and what do you do with a more complex door like one placed in a four-quadrants/four-demiquadrants junction?) and the graphic for a door betwixt E and W would be just edge on and difficult to make at-a-glance doorlike (especially if the standard is a door-with-jamb+lintel-frame graphic, which those you 'quote' aren't but we've seen elsewhere).

Still, I'm sure it's now at least considered, next time they get back to FixturesvAnd Fittings with a vengeance (seemingly on the Menagerie bit right now).

[1] Though I don't think it's so much meticulously-drawn sprites for every supportable consideration, but rather a rule-based subdivision of shade-filtering applied to the 'ground' graphic.
[2] Though I think this is partial-tile mix'n'matching too, unless I miss my guess/forget it being shown to be otherwise.

edit for tyops
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:24:51 pm by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 10, 2020, 06:19:44 pm »

"Realistic" door would be really poor for gameplay. I like to see where my doors are. An overhead line just isn't easy enough to spot in a busy fortress. We all know how annoying one-tile raised drawbridges are right now.

Graphics are representative tiles. They don't need to be realistic. We've all coped with "wrong" doors for years without (much) complaint. It'll be OK.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 11, 2020, 05:12:45 am »

I like the idea of the diagonal wall...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:16:01 am by Novaris »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 11, 2020, 08:35:42 am »

General thoughts on tileset realism:

Since Dearf Fortress is entirely grid based, with each movable object occupying 1 tile, lifelike visuals don't seem like a realistic goal.  Cool looking sprites - of course!  But since each item no matter how big or small takes up a single tile, the view will always be interpretative.  In that case, I prefer having tiles that clearly indicate what each item is at a glance, rather than losing some clarity to make it more orthographically correct.  Ramps are a great example where it both looks more real, and is more clear, so it is certainly not always a choice between the two. (Walls seem like a similar candidate for sure)

Do some people have the opposite preference?  That it would be better for everything to look as real as possible, even if that means it's sometimes (not always) harder to tell things apart.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 11, 2020, 10:41:40 pm »

the bed look weird, i think because the pillow is to small or the bed is to wide.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 178