Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 434074 times)

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2325 on: October 15, 2020, 10:50:49 am »

yeah agree it look good and its 2SP00KY5ME, though maybe for future patch after this is complete or something, since seems like its quite heavy and require lots of work for doing it now.
I've read Meph's post on DF subreddit, and he said that it's going to take him a few days.
That sounds too quick for ~4000 sprites, but if that's true, then it might be better to make at least some of these sprites.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 15, 2020, 11:29:48 am »

Wow, that looks even better than I expected! I really think it's awesome, adds useful visual information and would be a great addition.

Just a thought, couldn't you save space on the mutilated corpse by having a bloodstain spite that the standard corpse is rendered on top of? Same with rotating the the corpse/skeleton for whether or not it's dead/reanimated? Or is it easier on the game to just have them ready to grab on the sprite sheet like this?

That's around 1300 skeletons, and 2600 rotten/decayed corpses. The child skeletons make up around 650 of that, so 650 left, if every skeleton fits on average two creature types, that's 325 skeleton sprites to make. (Edit: Wait, some are animal men/giant versions, so much fewer) Mh. Certainly a thought I'm willing to entertain. ;)

Certainly a thought I'm willing to encourage!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:38:09 am by Pillbo »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2327 on: October 15, 2020, 12:19:50 pm »

It's easier for modders and other tilesets; and the mutilated corpses are already done for all creatures. :)

A lot of the 4000 sprites would be more or less automated. For example I just made some cats for fun, all it takes is one skeleton. The cats themselves are also done, so the only thing left to do is to copy the skeleton behind the cat, erase part of it, done. Maybe recolor some parts red/green for blood/rot. But it's 30 sprites made from 1 sprite I had to draw by hand.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 15, 2020, 12:50:43 pm »

If it can actually be done quickly/easily, then that's cool. I think there would also be value even without intermediate stages but if there's that many units on the same chassis (as it were) where you can literally just erase bits, then that's great. I would be concerned about cases where not many animals use the same pose and therefore would each need their own skeleton if the skeleton has to be usable in this way, though. Birds come to mind in particular but I'm sure there's a fair few cases like that.

Also since I always gotta quibble on something, it's a bit odd that the leopard consistently decays back to front. I wonder if it would go quicker, instead of erasing individually, to just make a mask for the animal group. Might be a pain to get the red/green right doing it purely that way, I dunno. Might be better (cleaner colors) to just use another layer on top without masking or any overlay effects if considering that workflow.

Also I reckon the blood in these cases would also be old so more of a dark red, I know a small amount of blood and a large amount of bone in a single pixel should average to pink but I'm not sure it works in all cases. Really like the bloody face of the lion though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2329 on: October 15, 2020, 01:57:13 pm »

Yeah, as long as the body shape is the same, it's quite easy to mass produce them; same for animal men and giant versions. As I've said, it would take about 200-300 skeletons I think.

I prepared some more examples with 10 different snake skeletons (straight, coiled, cobra, -man, giant, both adult and child) 10 skeletons, 174 sprites based on them.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2330 on: October 15, 2020, 01:59:40 pm »

The pink could be blood on bone, but also muscle tissue, fatty tissue or maggots/eggs, all lighter. I reckon pink is a fine color. Searching ”animal carcass” also gave pictures of mostly pink/bright red, though some were dry and brown from fly infestations.

tpssurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 15, 2020, 02:17:08 pm »

Hey Meph, or Mike, we've seen the dwarf variants and they really look amazing! But I'm mostly interested in humans! (since they are the main civ I always play with, through mods). Do you guys have some of them ready to show?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2332 on: October 15, 2020, 02:21:09 pm »

tpssurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 15, 2020, 02:33:48 pm »

A concern regarding the critters in various states of decay (I really like the images themselves, though):

What was shown earlier made it very clear which critters were undead (having the undead color scheme), and which ones were alive. The mockup/tentative "more realistic" (whatever a realistic zombie is) images makes it hard to see the difference at a glance, unless there's something else that tells you "look here! an undead!" or at least "an enemy".

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 15, 2020, 02:36:22 pm »

I've already seen this method of drawing corpses somewhere before, and there was no such hype.
The earnest request.
Change this bones color palette - ultimately, it has already been used in the local tilesets, and some sort of problems may arise between tilesetmakers and publishers, despite the fact that this palette is from the free sources.
Here were already shown pictures with bone figures (on UI design pics) - there was a good and quite different palette.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:44:09 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2336 on: October 15, 2020, 02:42:50 pm »

Vordak, I didn't take the color palette from that image. I'm using the same one I have in my tileset, from the example image I posted earlier.

EDIT: nevermind, you are right. It is almost exactly the same palette. O.o

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:51:17 pm by Meph »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 15, 2020, 02:47:04 pm »

A concern regarding the critters in various states of decay (I really like the images themselves, though):

What was shown earlier made it very clear which critters were undead (having the undead color scheme), and which ones were alive. The mockup/tentative "more realistic" (whatever a realistic zombie is) images makes it hard to see the difference at a glance, unless there's something else that tells you "look here! an undead!" or at least "an enemy".

If one really wanted to emphasize it one could put a purple aura around them or something similar I guess? Personally I think it'd be enough to just avoid the unclear cases, that is not have too many intermediary stages where there's barely any visible decay.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2338 on: October 15, 2020, 02:52:20 pm »

Just to be clear: There are 3 corpse stages, but only 2 undead stages. 

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 15, 2020, 03:53:30 pm »

Those cats and snakes (especially giant snakes) look amazing! I'm very happy you are at least trying this out!

Judging by this image the difference will be undead = standing up, corpse = laying down.

Edit: I misread your message at first, I read it as 'how to see the difference between dead and undead'.  Perhaps somewhere between the purple version of the undead, and the rotting corpse would help? A purple rotten corpse? Skeleton with glowing creep eyes?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:58:04 pm by Pillbo »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 178