Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430443 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2610 on: August 03, 2021, 07:01:28 am »

Meph mentioned he would be mountaineering and significantly offline this Summer in the context of a DF community thing he wanted to be involved with but couldn't be.
Team Bug Fix!

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: August 03, 2021, 01:21:27 pm »

Meph mentioned he would be mountaineering and significantly offline this Summer in the context of a DF community thing he wanted to be involved with but couldn't be.

Can we get same kind information, but about Mike Mayday?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:43 pm »

If you mean what I think you mean, I can't see that as relevant.

(To ror6ax, my impression is that there's so much that is inextricably indivisible from placeholder/prototyping/TBC at this point in time that you couldn't realistically use transparency/white-out/background-mask/censor's-pen and still have anything useful left. Not that I want to pre-empt the Word Of God(s) on this, which is part of my above point, but I think it's not as useful as continuing to see any WIP/mockup presentations and letting feedback on it all be considered, whether it's supposed to be a 'finished' and polished element.  BICBW!)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2613 on: August 03, 2021, 04:45:15 pm »

I'm back from my first mountaineering trip btw; will go late summer again, but I'm currently available. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 12, 2021, 02:35:50 pm »

I will just put this pic here without any further comments by my side.
Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2615 on: August 12, 2021, 02:57:46 pm »

That human looks plenty dwarfy to me... That aside the time has propably passed for making major changes to the main species design, since the armor sprites would have to be redone with them. That even if the design changes would be objective improvements, which I would not say the ones in the picture are.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 12, 2021, 04:36:07 pm »

Simply a matter of broadness in the TL modifiers really if you ask me, for reference a rough scribble of the mechanical cutoff points are (with about a cm3 0.25 creature mass in either direction off base without going exceptionally over 150) which might be a interesting visual thing to facet into some of these values.

Code: [Select]
>150: gigantic
>125: very large
>110: large
91-109: average size
<90: small
<75: very small
<50: tiny

So really here, you could be looking at a tall dwarf to the left, broad short dwarf to the top right, and a thin very tall dwarf to the bottom right. If you count the way the face has heavy cheekbones, you can still tell they're a dwarf even through the skewered proportions, like the monster hunter in this post has a noticable difference in posture (and presumably face, i can't recollect what this tilesets humans look like.)

In the animal world and maybe creatures like snake-people, there could be some TL modelling for reptiles, fish and earthworms of exceptional sizes via the length modifier to make them 2 tile.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: August 12, 2021, 06:48:55 pm »

That human looks plenty dwarfy to me... That aside the time has propably passed for making major changes to the main species design, since the armor sprites would have to be redone with them. That even if the design changes would be objective improvements, which I would not say the ones in the picture are.
For myself, and for gathering some particular ruminations of others on this matter (https://discord.com/channels/329272032778780672/555404726817259580/875465493513916437)....I can only hope for now, that some kind of 'Abracadabra' pass could be made in post, to resolve what appears to be a very...minor issue overall.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: August 13, 2021, 02:35:01 pm »

This looks good, it always bothered me that dwarves are not stout or "dwarfy" enough, they don't have shoulders, they are not wide.
But this one looks almost perfect, maybe just move dwarf's head a bit upwards.
And people say it would take too much time to redraw everything? I thought DF has not a lot of equipment, and it would be a simple edit anyway, not complete redrawing from scratch.
I wish this became new design.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: August 13, 2021, 04:12:02 pm »

I thought DF has not a lot of equipment, and it would be a simple edit anyway, not complete redrawing from scratch.
Well, take this example of some possible art variations done for just one weapon and one bit of clothing, and assuming you aren't 'just' mathematically squeezing and squashing everything (perhaps both, if you want the head upwards after compressing them vertically as a whole/compressing them irregularly/both compressing most but expanding the neckline) and accepting the imperfections[1] then every current bit of originally-dwarf-fitting/positioned equipment has to be revisited and retouched-up.

If the artwork was vectorised from the start (a whole different issue), then the above issues would not be there. But add a number of vector-based issues instead.  It's not ASMOC.

[1] Everything has been deliberately and lovingly crafted pixel by pixel, and then they end up being smooshed around and anti-aliased.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: August 14, 2021, 01:26:03 am »

It's not worn items, it's sprites for items on the ground. Displaying quality/decorations on worn items would be unfeasible, it won't be seen. Most of items also wouldn't need redraws: boots, weapons, helmets. Only torso and legs gear would need to be readjusted.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: August 14, 2021, 04:41:47 am »

Take that as an example of the detail (multiple treatments vs multiple armour variations, I found that post before I found the worn-armor-sets one, then there's the clothing/profession-coloured sets). I'm just doubtful that it's as 'only' as you think. But maybe my skepticism is misplaced.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 24, 2021, 09:33:51 pm »

Hey guys, just asking the community, approximately how far is the sprite work along?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 25, 2021, 11:01:13 am »

Hey guys, just asking the community, approximately how far is the sprite work along?
The impression I get is that almost all of the sprites are done. Toady is now working on menus and other interface stuff, and the end of which will be another art pass that finalizes the appearance and design of the various buttons.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2624 on: August 25, 2021, 04:49:01 pm »

It's pretty much done, except for some procedurally generated critters. It's still an open question how far we delve into that. Otherwise we have a looooong list of things we might want to try, but it's additions, not necessary to play the game. It mostly comes down to not distracting Toady from the UI work. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 178