Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 430396 times)

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #2625 on: September 01, 2021, 03:44:58 am »

What about design pass on the menus, will that happen or what we're seeing now is the final product?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: September 17, 2021, 04:06:27 am »

Anyone?

Erendir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:21 am »

Looking at the latest gameplay video - New Desert Fortress in Action! - I noticed when a dwarf is hauling an item that item isn't shown in any way. A suggestion: show the hauled item over the dwarf (with some offset to a side).

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: September 24, 2021, 03:26:45 pm »

I noticed in the desert video when you click to add a task to the workshop (the lever) that the task is added where the buttons were and the buttons move down, away from the mouse (as you can see in this kind of crappy gif I made). This UI would be a little friendlier if it put the new task below the buttons and did not move them. It's pretty frequent that you add several identical tasks in a row and the buttons shifting around will likely get frustrating.  Especially since this interface was working unpaused, so you could be clicking at buttons while tasks are being completed, moving those buttons the other direction as well.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: September 30, 2021, 11:44:38 am »

When painting zones, stockpiles, or whatever, will we be able to paint shapes other than rectangles & fills?
I'm particularly fond of circular shapes.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: September 30, 2021, 02:01:02 pm »

When painting zones, stockpiles, or whatever, will we be able to paint shapes other than rectangles & fills?
You can paint a rectangle and then remove stockpile designation with d-x to subtractively create the desired non-rectangular shape.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: September 30, 2021, 02:53:08 pm »

You can paint a rectangle and then remove stockpile designation with d-x to subtractively create the desired non-rectangular shape.
Yeah, I do, but that's pretty tedious work  ;)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 11, 2021, 02:22:59 pm »

I have a super minor graphical suggestion that may not be relevant if these menu icons are just placeholders:

Use a slightly different icon for bedrooms and dormitories; for example, using the "bed with 2 pillows" sprite instead of "bed with 1 pillow" to emphasize the more communal nature of dorms, or a lower quality level (or both).

And also maybe use a brighter sprite for the dungeon; what's there now doesn't contrast very well with the background and it's hard to make out what it is.

Oh, and maybe it was left out for lack of room, but shouldn't that be changed to "Sand Collection" and "Clay Collection" or something? It's what we have currently sure, but it's still weird to just say "Sand" and "Clay".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 12, 2021, 03:15:18 am »

"Gather Sand" and "Gather Clay" would match the pattern of "Gather Fruit", but that conflicts with the active "Fishing" and "Animal Training" as well as "Archery Range" (which would be Archery Training" if described as an activity zone).

I'd probably go for
- "Animal Training Area" (which would probably be cut by the box edge to show "Animal Training"
- Fishing Area (which could be "Fishery")
- Fruit Gathering Area (Again, it would be cut off), although "Orchard" could work
- Sand Gathering Area, but could be "Sand Extraction"
- Clay Gathering Area, but could be "Clay Extraction"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 12, 2021, 10:59:03 am »

I know a fishery is a building, but so is a bedroom, an office, etc. I'm less concerned with the name selected than a somewhat consistent naming scheme (or at least a smaller set of schemes).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 13, 2021, 10:15:03 am »

"Gather Sand" and "Gather Clay" would match the pattern of "Gather Fruit", but that conflicts with the active "Fishing" and "Animal Training" as well as "Archery Range" (which would be Archery Training" if described as an activity zone).

I'd probably go for
- "Animal Training Area" (which would probably be cut by the box edge to show "Animal Training"
- Fishing Area (which could be "Fishery")
- Fruit Gathering Area (Again, it would be cut off), although "Orchard" could work
- Sand Gathering Area, but could be "Sand Extraction"
- Clay Gathering Area, but could be "Clay Extraction"

Saying that, explicitly the interaction zones are explicitly dealing with verb-actions rather than generalized names for the real kind of area those activities would happen in.
  • On the other hand, places like the new "Dungeon" isn't a "imprisonment zone" because the building precludes the activity, like shrines and temples aren't praying zones
Like saying "Saddling Area" to dock horses and other animals in case of a military alert (theoreticaly) instead of "Stable"

Gathering fruit in Crabman's suggestion could also be mistook for the harvesting designation if someone was playing DF blind (which a good amount of people probably will)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:18:43 am by FantasticDorf »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: November 05, 2021, 06:42:37 pm »

Not sure if artists read this thread anymore but I'd like to suggest that shortening names aka "Urist McSometh...." looks really weird given the modern wide screen real estate to stretch on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: November 05, 2021, 07:18:39 pm »

Probably not even an artwork issue, though.

And traditional DF shortening isn't that, so I suspect it's a default thing for whatever the newly-imported Window Manager module is. (j.e. text-labels truncated until they (and an ellipsis) fit into the designed in space). Not sure whether there's going to be the option for mouse/widget-interaction methods to resize tabular columns, or more advanced automation to 'try' each label to discover the range of widths needed and piping the largest (sane) requirement into each respective column.

(The gods know I've often spent loads of time at the start of a projet trying to get details like that to work in an aesthetically pleasing manner, then found I still need to work out how to do what the interface was always supposed to be doing, behind the scenes, and I've spent too much time worrying about border-line thicknesses/whatever. Really I should have tidied up the procedual appearance after I showed it actually processed the data like it should. ;) )

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Şjóğalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: November 13, 2021, 09:54:34 pm »

Vordak, I didn't take the color palette from that image. I'm using the same one I have in my tileset, from the example image I posted earlier.

EDIT: nevermind, you are right. It is almost exactly the same palette. O.o

Denzis bones.
Galacti-Chrons Palette

Back to open game art we go...

Words can't describe how disappointed I am

Stop claiming other peoples work as your own
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:20:46 pm by vettlingr »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178