Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitfox is advertising other games through the DF Community hub on Steam.  (Read 2894 times)

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
  • Join the Cult of Toady today!
    • View Profile

I saw an announcement on steam earlier about dwarf fortress. Kinda got excited, only to notice after clicking on it that they were announcing a completely unrelated game using the community hub. I ended up making a thread over there about it, but I wanted to see what other Urists thought about it. I was somewhat annoyed, personally. I dont think they should be using that hub to advertise their other games. What are your thoughts? The people commenting on the actual announcement are, shall we say, less than pleased.

Here's the announcement

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370

Here's the thread I made over in the steam forums

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/discussions/0/1640913421091532082/

Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

With all due respect I don't think anyone's but Tarn's and Zach's opinions matter on this issue. Others might disagree with me but I also believe things like this should be brought up directly to them.

If you want to discuss about it, then let me tell you that there is already a thread about DF's steam forum and people are already talking about this affair. Personaly I find importing drama from the other forums to be unnecessary and I would really like this forum to not turn into a cry fest about steam/kitfox.

If you find yourself disagreeing with anything about Kitfox or Steam, you can alway just opt to not buy it from them. There is always the option to donate directly to the devs if you still want to support them.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Comment from developer a couple of minutes ago:
Yeah that was a mistake, in retrospect. I was excited about our new game, so I did a whole "HEY STEAM PEOPLE" announcement to all Kitfox-related games, but I overstepped a bit. Sorry about that. Will keep the DF announcements to primarily DF-related content in the future. :) Thanks for being civil with your frustrations!

End of story. Preferably close the thread, we don't need several Steam threads, as mentioned above.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was absolutely not trying to start drama/witchhunts. I just thought that was a slippery slope to start going down. I even expressed that as respectfully as I could in my forum thread there as well as in the comments on the announcement. It just didnt seem appropriate, but luckily she agreed and said they will try not to do that again in the future. Apologies to anyone I upset, I just thought it was worth mentioning.
Core i5-2500k @ 5.0Ghz, 2GB Geforce GTX 770, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Asrock Extreme3 Gen3, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x2 (RAID0), Samsung 2TB + 64GB Agility 3 (Intel RST Cache)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but it is a convenient mistake.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, Im willing to let it be water under the bridge and not worry about it unless it becomes a habit. Either way, Im still really excited about them bringing the game to steam and I truly hope it helps Tarn and Zach out in accomplishing what they want.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile

I was absolutely not trying to start drama/witchhunts. I just thought that was a slippery slope to start going down. I even expressed that as respectfully as I could in my forum thread there as well as in the comments on the announcement. It just didnt seem appropriate, but luckily she agreed and said they will try not to do that again in the future. Apologies to anyone I upset, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

It's cool, man. You didn't do anything wrong.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's cool, man. You didn't do anything wrong.

I appreciate it. I was afraid I had made a major mistake even posting about it, considering how annoyed Ulfarr was that I dared even bring it up.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Hi!  Yeah, my understanding is that Steam added a "cross-game announce" feature recently for developers to use, and while the devs on the other Kitfox game knew the post would show up in the DF news section (which is fine with me, generally), the fact that we hadn't posted any DF news there made it really stick out (since we on the Bay 12 side haven't had anything to announce, since I'm still finishing villains...)!  And that wasn't intended.  It was a mistake and it shouldn't happen again.  Hopefully I can wrap up this villain release before too long so we can get some proper DF news posted everywhere, but it'll be a while yet, as you all know.  Again, sorry for the mix up!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Maybe Mike and me should bundle up a few of the sprites, talk a bit about the process and sit down with Victoria... Creating actual DF news for steam. ☺️ Things have happened and I'm sure the community loves more transparency.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Ha ha, yeah, I think there are three separate conversations going on now related to actually using the DF News feature now.  This'll all turn out to be a positive thing.  Probably going to start by getting dev log information over there (a lot of people don't read or know about the bay 12 logs), and then on into News News, as you say.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile

I think those are both great ideas for sure. I make sure every DevLog entry, FotF reply, and Bay 12 Games Report get posted/linked to on the /r/dwarffortress subreddit, and "Oh, wow, I didn't know they did that!" is a regular comment. The more channels the better, I think, and I'm sure Steam people would be interested in all those!
Team Bug Fix!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe Mike and me should bundle up a few of the sprites, talk a bit about the process and sit down with Victoria... Creating actual DF news for steam. ☺️ Things have happened and I'm sure the community loves more transparency.
Even just condensing the stuff that's been discussed in the thread on these forums into an organized news post would probably be enough to merit the ding in people's feeds - there's definitely plenty of people who won't have seen it.

Darkerson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!  Yeah, my understanding is that Steam added a "cross-game announce" feature recently for developers to use, and while the devs on the other Kitfox game knew the post would show up in the DF news section (which is fine with me, generally), the fact that we hadn't posted any DF news there made it really stick out (since we on the Bay 12 side haven't had anything to announce, since I'm still finishing villains...)!  And that wasn't intended.  It was a mistake and it shouldn't happen again.  Hopefully I can wrap up this villain release before too long so we can get some proper DF news posted everywhere, but it'll be a while yet, as you all know.  Again, sorry for the mix up!

No worries at all. I really appreciate the response! I really hope I didnt cause Tanya any undue stress or to receive any hate. It truly was not my intent.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:22:09 pm by Darkerson »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ha ha, yeah, I think there are three separate conversations going on now related to actually using the DF News feature now.  This'll all turn out to be a positive thing.  Probably going to start by getting dev log information over there (a lot of people don't read or know about the bay 12 logs), and then on into News News, as you say.
And what a tremendous devblog to start with this week!
All that work in Worldgen seamlessly crossing over into actual gameplay. Very cool.
(And gives us a response to all the "yeah, but none of this is related to actual gameplay is it?" people...).