Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 38083 times)

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2019, 04:09:11 am »

Axiom:
All DF forums are madhouses
Most forum members are presumably dwarves deprived of alchohol.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:14:57 am by Craftsdwarf boi »
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2019, 05:44:27 am »

Some people think a community is like a country, everything legal can be discussed and should be allowed. But it is not. It is like a club, the moderators have right to remove topics they think is harmful, inappropriate or unsuitable. If we discuss whether a certain kind of topic should be allowed to discuss, it takes forever to decide. :-X
In any club worth the time it takes to attend, people are free to speak their minds and everyone is sufficiently acquainted that they can do so in a reasonable way without jeopardizing their relationships or greatly offending their peers through misplaced word.

Ah, the second part is the real sticking point, though.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2019, 12:47:42 pm »

Some people think a community is like a country, everything legal can be discussed and should be allowed. But it is not. It is like a club, the moderators have right to remove topics they think is harmful, inappropriate or unsuitable. If we discuss whether a certain kind of topic should be allowed to discuss, it takes forever to decide. :-X
In any club worth the time it takes to attend, people are free to speak their minds and everyone is sufficiently acquainted that they can do so in a reasonable way without jeopardizing their relationships or greatly offending their peers through misplaced word.

Ah, the second part is the real sticking point, though.
The problem is that it can't be created top down, and top down is how online communities, because of the fundamental structure of the internet, inherently work. IRC has been the closest thing to an exception in recent memory, but it hasn't grown like the more authoritarian protocols and now Slack and Discord have been eating into its meme share.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2019, 12:50:45 am »

The refrain I am seeing on the steam forum, is that they want context sensitive right-click menus.

The issue is that the game has far too many options for "easy" gameplay.  NetHack has the exact same problem.  Even the root menu of such a right click popup would have over 16 entries in it.

I really dont think that what casual players want, can effectively be delivered, no matter how savvy you are with UI design.
Why not adopt an MMO-style interface?

Think World of Warcraft customizable toolbars. Are you currently working with stockpiles a lot? Drag and drop "create stockpile" to the first slot of a toolbar, then just click the button to create stockpiles.

Rimworld and Gnomoria have some good concepts as well.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2019, 12:54:01 pm »

The issue is that the game has far too many options for "easy" gameplay.  NetHack has the exact same problem.  Even the root menu of such a right click popup would have over 16 entries in it.

Hmm, I don't think so. You can use a context-sensitive right click to replace all instances of k, plus v, q and t, plus i and p on stockpiles. It's surprisingly easy to get proper trisecting nesting entries, too.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2019, 05:03:56 pm »

How would a context-sensitive right click know when you wanted t rather than q?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2019, 05:40:17 pm »

It wouldn't, which is why it would have the popup.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2019, 02:20:31 am »

I'd give this guys $60 instead of $20, they truly deserved the money and also.. the game is way more competent than a 'AAA' and they're charging way more for what it really is!

I'm really impatient for the game release!

About nine years ago or so, I donated $50 because I realized that I have had as much if not more enjoyment from this game than any other "AAA" game title.  I will gladly buy the game again on Steam (already wish-listed).  I will do so a third time if it ever comes out on GOG, too.

As for the various forums, I think it's just that this one is more like how game forums used to be, rather than how many are like now.  A sort of time capsule.  Trolls and whatnot have always been around, but our overall culture is becoming more toxic/aggressive/obnoxious.  It is hard to escape.  I'd have never thought that I would look back on the early 90s Usenet as a (relatively) pleasant and constructive place, for instance.  Maybe it's just because I'm getting older.  There is still a lot of good discussion out there though.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2019, 10:10:03 pm »

Hm, yes. This is a rather timeless game we're playing, after all. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »

Or is it declinism taking place?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2019, 12:56:16 pm »

Looks like Kitfox announcing their new game on Dwarf Fortress Steam's page backfired heavily...

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2019, 01:09:35 pm »

Looks like Kitfox announcing their new game on Dwarf Fortress Steam's page backfired heavily...
In all honesty, I can kind of see why. It doesn't even seem like something a DF player would be interested in and is a pretty dumb move after being accused of trying to ride off of Toady One's coattails.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2019, 03:46:15 pm »

Yeah, wow. That's a surprisingly scummy move from a company that definitely doesn't have the bulk to ignore PR like such giants as EA and Epic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »

Re: Kitfox is advertising other games through the DF Community hub on Steam.

Developer apologized for that a short while ago.

Yeah that was a mistake, in retrospect. I was excited about our new game, so I did a whole "HEY STEAM PEOPLE" announcement to all Kitfox-related games, but I overstepped a bit. Sorry about that. Will keep the DF announcements to primarily DF-related content in the future. :) Thanks for being civil with your frustrations!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2019, 08:34:16 pm »

Huh. Kitfox didn't really think that one through, I guess... ah well.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16