Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 38124 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 04:27:16 pm »

I say the best thing we can do as a community is not be elitist and do our best to help new influx of people fall in love with the game as we all did.
Dont worry about crticisms or impatient users getting worked up, all of that is to be expected. We are the old vanguard and its our responsibility to these people to help them and show them what makes DF so special.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 09:29:42 pm »

I say the best thing we can do as a community is not be elitist and do our best to help new influx of people fall in love with the game as we all did.
Dont worry about crticisms or impatient users getting worked up, all of that is to be expected. We are the old vanguard and its our responsibility to these people to help them and show them what makes DF so special.
That's fair.  So would it be good or bad to encourage new players that the center of the world contains a fountain of infinite booze?  :P

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 11:14:41 am »

That's fair.  So would it be good or bad to encourage new players that the center of the world contains a fountain of infinite booze?  :P

Good of course!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 01:21:26 pm »

That's terrible. Why lie directly, when a lie of omission is less obvious? Tell them there's a way down to more candy below the magma, you just need to dig out enough of the candy to find it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »

I remember my very first fortress, about 8 years ago, died due to that. I just dug straight down, missed two caverns, hit candy (oh, what's that?) and dug into it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 01:11:14 pm »

That's how it used to be a decade or more ago, after all, when DF was at the height of taking in new players.

That said, I think the nature of the updates we've been getting is also at fault. There hasn't been anything big and interesting to people only peripherally involved since like the cavern update. Maybe the tavern update, but even things that sound good like activating the world don't mean that much to actual gameplay, and other than that, things that directly impact core fort mode gameplay have been very much on a slow drip. The myth and magic update will (I sure hope) be the kind to get people interested again, but that's going to be years from now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »

I find the DF forum to be rather friendly and civilized. Now, the trick would be to get new players to actually find this site, as it's not referenced from the Steam page.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 07:41:16 pm »

Some pointers towards here have been made by posters there, specifically to answer what we might term FAQs.

And I'm all aquiver to help people out, if they arrive with their continuingly enquiring minds. (Like "Didn't you mean 'continually', just there?" No, but it's a fine point, and you're a fine person if you considered that.)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 01:35:04 am »

I'd just point out that apologism does not help anyone.

You can't just tell people that bad interface is going to be remedied by learning it enough to gain muscle memory.

Because interface is definitelly a mess. If you say otherwise, you are not fooling anyone and are alienating a lot of people.

What should happen instead is helping people overcome their specific problems.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:55 am »

I'd just point out that baiting does not help anyone, either.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:17 am »

This is not troll attempt. Just stating simple fact that if you meet any criticism with statement that player has to endure it, game is not getting represented well.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 10:12:27 am »

Not even sure why that would be a baiting.

Community changed a lot in few years.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 10:31:38 am »

Then I'll expound.

There are people who genuinely don't have a problem with the menu/lists aspects of the interface, because of muscle memory or not, so saying that anyone who might admit to that is only trying to fool people and drive prospective players away could cause offense.

You could have made your point with less unilateral hostility.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 10:43:58 am »

Some people answer to common complaints about DF with a very disregarding attitude (I'm not saying that this has happened in this thread; I have in mind another ones). I don't think there is unilateral hostility in pointing that this happens and that it's not something that should happen in a healthy community.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:44:18 am by Tinnucorch »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 11:33:12 am »

Then I'll expound.

There are people who genuinely don't have a problem with the menu/lists aspects of the interface, because of muscle memory or not, so saying that anyone who might admit to that is only trying to fool people and drive prospective players away could cause offense.

You could have made your point with less unilateral hostility.
Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean new players also won't, and bringing up that you're fine doesn't change their experience; he's making a valid point.

He also wasn't hostile about it, you're reading things into his post that are, at best, an attempt at a read at his intent; it's not actually in the post itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16