Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 37493 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:50:57 pm »

I just want to say thank you to all of the wonderful, patient, bloodthirsty insane monsters who call this forum home.  You guys are the best.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:06:48 pm »

I don't see anything to bad over there yet, but give it some time lol. I am sure people will gripe you have to pay just because they can, and even though it's still going to have this original version available free.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:46 pm »

It is inevitable.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 08:08:32 pm »

Lemme give my +1 to OP. You guys are the best of the internet. Litterally best community I've ever been on.
Love to you bay watchers

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:27 pm »

I've gone and browsed the Steam subforum. It's mostly Ok (as much as I've seen so far) except for:

1) Silly things about the UI (key-powered menus are much more efficient to navigate than mouse-clicking a similarly nested menuing system, and for something with the complexity of choice like DF I'd stick to the keys, cheers), and,
2) Neonivek prominently displaying the chip on his shoulder, thus justifying the enforced exile he's complaining about.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:16 pm »

I'll give you another +1. The steam page seems to be a lot of criticism. Not that those are invalid, but here on the forums we have basically all embraced Dwarf Fortress no matter its flaws, and we're making the best of it. And making the best of Dwarf Fortress is one of the most incredible things I've ever been able to witness.

I'm glad to have all of you mad folk around.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:52:50 pm »

i started answering questions on Steam and quickly stopped. Someone said he refuses to play a game in which females have beards, which strikes me as odd, considering that you don't see them in Ascii, and that female dwarves don't even have beards. ^^

I really hope the community hear stays as is. You guys are the reason I stick around. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:01:04 pm »

I'm actually curious to see if the Steam forum receives any kind of moderation.  We do things in this game that would make Crusader Kings II blush.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:33 pm »

On the plus side, I did find out that an old friend of mine apparently has been playing DF for a long time. Saw his steam account answering questions on the forums.

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:22 pm »

I've gone and browsed the Steam subforum. It's mostly Ok (as much as I've seen so far) except for:

1) Silly things about the UI (key-powered menus are much more efficient to navigate than mouse-clicking a similarly nested menuing system, and for something with the complexity of choice like DF I'd stick to the keys, cheers), and,
2) Neonivek prominently displaying the chip on his shoulder, thus justifying the enforced exile he's complaining about.
This, Neonivek was all over the place telling people DF is bad/overhyped.
Didn't even know who he was before today.
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

sokmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 12:32:19 am »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:03:02 am »

2) Deliberately Obtuse prominently displaying the chip on his shoulder, thus justifying the enforced exile he's complaining about.
This, Deliberately Obtuse was all over the place telling people DF is bad/overhyped.
Didn't even know who he was before today.

You only ever overlapped very briefly, so that's understandable. They were fairly prolific in the latter days.

1) Silly things about the UI (key-powered menus are much more efficient to navigate than mouse-clicking a similarly nested menuing system, and for something with the complexity of choice like DF I'd stick to the keys, cheers)

To be fair DF's menus have been need of a clean-up for a while. Requiring mouse usage to navigate them really wouldn't help though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:40 am »

Muscle memory will take care of the eccentricities of the interface given enough time and practice.  It's a part of the experience I think.

Perhaps we should take a rotating turn, helping to tone down the horror in the steam forum, and being actually helpful?  That way we dont end up with cranky people with axes to grind driving people away from a quirky but fun game?

Marlhin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 01:59:14 am »

I've been lurking this forum for a long time and I also want to say thank you all for your helpfulness and your awesome stories and of course a big thanks for all the modders out there!

It is always the same: take a niche thing, whatever it is, onto a platform with a broader audience and it will not only attract more people to it but it will unevitably lure out the "I-always-have-to-make-known-my-unjustified-opinion-on-things-I-am-not-interested-in"-folk.

But I am on @wierd side of things! Let us be helpful and polite to create a nice atmosphere for newly interested players and if there are people who behave immature then it won't be us and nobody can say "the df community is toxic".

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:43 am »

It is always the same: take a niche thing, whatever it is, onto a platform with a broader audience and it will not only attract more people to it but it will unevitably lure out the "I-always-have-to-make-known-my-unjustified-opinion-on-things-I-am-not-interested-in"-folk.

But I am on @wierd side of things! Let us be helpful and polite to create a nice atmosphere for newly interested players and if there are people who behave immature then it won't be us and nobody can say "the df community is toxic".

Firstly the Steam forum looks fine to me. There are a lot of clueless people who think Workshop integration is going to solve every problem, and there are people like me pointing out that this is hogwash. I'm probably the most toxic part of the Steam forum right now because I've been pretty blunt about the flaws that DF needs to address before it should be selling a version.

Let's be clear here, there isn't thorough play-testing for new versions, and an assumption on the part of Tarn that the community is going to sort out and address bug-finding after release. There have been some badly broken releases that weren't addressed for weeks or months - I'm thinking about stuff like a lack of sieges but my memory may be deceiving me. I haven't actually played for a while, though I've been on the Patreon since it opened and registered here for nearly a decade.

My point being, to get into DF currently you download it for free, watch Youtube videos, check the forum, become inculcated into the community, or you bounce off it hard and move on with your life.

Look at the current Steam listing, presumably curated by Kitbox. Looks great, doesn't it? All inviting and cuddly. It really needs a big banner across the top warning people that major new releases (which may take two years to happen) can be seemingly arbitrary in the way they change features and will probably be buggy for a few weeks after a major release. Without that kind of warning, and frankly even WITH one, you are going to be getting a lot of frustrated players wanting to refund the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16