Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)  (Read 37425 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • the earth spins very fast
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam forum is already toxic (I love Bay12)
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »

2012 get out noobs

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2019, 03:57:24 pm »

Mine was created in january 2014, clearly we must delete all accounts created after january 2014 8)
Then i'll be the master and not even you, the great clinodev would survive the great purge of accounts. And I, finally would be the top dog of this forum.

Ah, but this is my new account, youngling! Switching to my old, real name connected account would be but a slight nuisance to usher in an era of unrivaled gatekeeping!
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2019, 04:39:51 pm »

There are old users and bold users but no old, bold users.

(I'm not amongst the oldest, by creation date, so I'm just bold enough to state this on their behalf.)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:24 pm »

2012 too :D (a few days later)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2019, 05:45:58 pm »

Bwahaha. Mind if I sig this one?

But yes, that sort of gatekeeping would be completely ridiculous, on multiple levels. And I don't even know how to respond to the censorship thing.

I was following that post just fine, too, right up until "goblin cosplayers". Just... what.  :o
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2019, 06:16:57 pm »

Bwahaha. Mind if I sig this one?
Fill your boots, if you can't find better. (I half expected to be argued about it, but maybe the more established illuminati forum-goers are too sensible to say anything.)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2019, 04:01:56 am »

I hope not too many people are taking schwartzhund's (or my,) "gatekeeping" seriously. If you think they meant it, you might want to reread their comment, which is either plainly true (mostly at the beginning,) or utterly silly (all the way through after around the midway point. )

As for me, well, at least one person in this thread has taken time out of their day to come over to /r/dwarffortress and let people know I was completely wrong in saying the bay12forum was for all players, because we're all full up of stinky redditors already, thanks, so, there's that, lol. I regularly explain to people that talking about things on reddit or other unofficial forums is great, but if you want to have an actual impact on the game, you have to come to the official forum. There's no doubt in my mind that there's valuable feedback to be gained from newer players, or really anyone who hasn't dedicated a few dozen hours to micromanaging and working around bugs and quirks that "everyone knows about" because it has two and a half pages of comments on the "What's new in 40.09" thread from August 2014.

To be fair, I never expected DF to go to Steam, though, so I might revisit my opinion over time. ;D
Team Bug Fix!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:11 am »

As for me, well, at least one person in this thread has taken time out of their day to come over to /r/dwarffortress and let people know I was completely wrong in saying the bay12forum was for all players, because we're all full up of stinky redditors already, thanks, so, there's that, lol. I regularly explain to people that talking about things on reddit or other unofficial forums is great, but if you want to have an actual impact on the game, you have to come to the official forum. There's no doubt in my mind that there's valuable feedback to be gained from newer players, or really anyone who hasn't dedicated a few dozen hours to micromanaging and working around bugs and quirks that "everyone knows about" because it has two and a half pages of comments on the "What's new in 40.09" thread from August 2014.
I mean, all that's well and good, but if we were to pick a specific group to exclude, redditors would be pretty near the top of the list. I can't blame somebody for not wanting such people to come here, independently of whether they're new.

schwartzhund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2019, 11:19:10 am »

Well, some combination of gatekeeping and censorship is needed to keep a forum from going crazy, but I think that's fairly obvious to anyone. As for me only joining the forums in 2019, technically I had an account fifteen years ago or so, when I posted all of once or twice because I had nothing to say besides embarrassing myself. I still don't have anything to say except to embarrass myself, but I wanted to ask a question about the game.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »

Truly inspiring for all of us striving to embarrass ourselves, the only virtuous goal on the internet.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2019, 11:09:43 pm »

Some people think a community is like a country, everything legal can be discussed and should be allowed. But it is not. It is like a club, the moderators have right to remove topics they think is harmful, inappropriate or unsuitable. If we discuss whether a certain kind of topic should be allowed to discuss, it takes forever to decide. :-X

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2019, 11:28:04 pm »

Some people think a community is like a country, everything legal can be discussed and should be allowed. But it is not. It is like a club, the moderators have right to remove topics they think is harmful, inappropriate or unsuitable. If we discuss whether a certain kind of topic should be allowed to discuss, it takes forever to decide. :-X
In any club worth the time it takes to attend, people are free to speak their minds and everyone is sufficiently acquainted that they can do so in a reasonable way without jeopardizing their relationships or greatly offending their peers through misplaced word.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:23 pm »

What I want to say is sometimes it is not because the topic itself is wrong/illegal, but it may cause undesirable consequences, so it gets removed. But the topic starter think the moderators offend them by removing the topic and bring it up again and again. It is really not worthy the time IMO.
I've seen that happen before, some vegeful guy harassed a forum for years.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2019, 05:26:28 pm »

[offtopic] I really, really loved old bob in my childhood days ;> [/offtopic]

Edit: Ok, the cite modified by Starver wasn't from "old bob", but from "vincent" ... sigh, my childhood time was in the time of that movie - oh boy, I am feeling old now %^]

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:45:20 pm by Shandra »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2019, 12:21:36 am »

/wanders around the search engine looking for Old Bob and/or Vincent in context.
/gets President Lincoln's horse, the 'plucky little good robot' from The Black Hole, beer, a band leader, motorcycles, GTA V videos, etc... Nothing obvious.

What I ripped off was the "old XOR bold soldiers" that seems to be timeless (at least as far back as Napoleon, likely not original then), as have been many prior rippings off of it e.g. "pilots" (both military and seat-of-your-pants-era civvie pioneers e.g.), but glad everyone liked it. Everyone who stated an opinion, leastways.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:28:41 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16