Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode ideas  (Read 831 times)

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode ideas
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:41:39 pm »

Hello, longtime lurker first time poster. Been playing on and off since 2012 and I’m very impressed with how far adventure mode has come, so much so that it’s been all I’ve realjy played in the latest version of the game. Exploring my world in the past two weeks I had some pie in the sky ideas for additional ways of fleshing our the worlds. I imagine the devs already have some of these in mind

Peasant weapons: this was spurred on by a cool encounter I had where I entered a town in the middle of an undead siege and the butchers at the market fought off zombelves with carving knives. Peasants should have access to tools and rudimentary weapons befitting their profession- clubs/truncheons, stone work hammers, sickles and scythes, stone axes, pole axes, etc. naturally, you could start with a peasant weapon closely affiliated to your max weapon skull if you don’t begin your game locally important.

Construction: it seems like coming in the future are more varied town/city interactions. It would be interesting if, when founding a site, you could hire peasants from a nearby hamlet or town to construct the site for you, in opposition to duping a bunch of art lovers into joining your “performance troupe” just to perform manual labor out in the woods. This could be a perk of service to a lord or just paid for with sums of local currency. Likewise, delivery of furniture produced by craftsmen in town.

Site magnet: right now interactions and intrigue/quests involving the player are a result of the player choosing what to pick up on in the world. And right now sites you build are sort of just cool places to store your loot. It would be interesting if as your reputation increases, sites were the way the world came to you. If you’re a master bonecarver, collectors will travel far to see your products, if you’re a bard travelers will stop by to make merry and bards and poets will come to learn from you (potentially a way to introduce poetic forms to new cultures). If you’re a great warrior, beast hunters may seek you out to join your band. Then prominent figures could send out agents and couriers to make direct requests of you- to solve disputes, slay monsters, commission crafts or request you travel far to perform for them. On the flip side thieves can respond to your reputation, and perhaps religious orders opposed to licentiousness will demand you cease merry making.

Provisions: having to stop fast travel to eat/drink when traveling over long distance can be annoying. Perhaps you could mark comestibles in your inventory with a [p] and they’ll be consumed as necessary while traveling.

Religious and military processions: which could either be merry making and musical or dark, self flagellating, I’m thinking death temples parading skeletons. Victory parades where loot is displayed, or military parades as a show of force after taking over a settlement or resisting an insurrection. Commemorative parades held on specific dates to mark site specific historical events. Could take the form of fairs as well

Symposiums: towns with libraries and certain conditions around peacefulness/conflicts could hold symposiums where intellectuals and artists from other civilizations can arrive and possibly create new art forms. This could be a world gen event impacting knowledge of art forms

Cults: marginalized or subversive cults meet on the outskirts of society, in the woods or perhaps ruined buildings/sewers/catacombs. You could track them down for purposes of eradication or joining up by following known members, or on the flip side, waiting around shrines you stumble upon.

Sand: throwing sand/dirt in someone’s eyes should have a chance to stun/blind an enemy

Drawings/prints: like books and scrolls but as a portable way to admire art. Could require a press (not as in a Gutenberg press) in order to make copies. Presumably your engravers would be skilled at this and could choose to do them in their free time if materials are available.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:50:32 pm by horribleflesheater »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Adventure mode ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:39:18 am »

Peasant weaponry are something I'd like to see too, but I guess the weapons system isn't too detailed yet, considering that adventurer stone axes were made into a separate tool instead of understood as a weapon. (And this in turn had something to do with avoiding exploits in fort mode, but I am not sure what the precise details were)

Anyway, yes, we need this for authentic ninjas and other 'insurgent factions dealing with not being allowed proper weaponry' in our fantasy world ;)

Hiring people seems like it would sort of be planned, especially as there's going to be a trader role and you can hire people for a caravan there. It would be the type of thing that'd be done on a tangent though.

People coming to you already sort of happens for artifacts, so once that kind of ai is smart enough to understand the relationship between you and the site I wouldn't be surprised seeing this.

Processions are already half-in: they only happen in world-gen fairs, which stop after the initial worldgen because there's no code yet to make the histfigs perform the fair. Symposiums would probably work with a similar framework, as would public executions and rituals like miracle plays.

Cults: Are sort of going to be in the next release. As in, there will be religions, and there is religious tension to marginalize a religion, so somethings there.

Sand: planned in the old devnotes.

Drawings/prints: I think drawings are planned, prints not sure, but given the amount of techniques out there it is not unthinkable. (though proly no lithography ;) just woodcuts, I think).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!