Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procgen tavern music  (Read 751 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Procgen tavern music
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:57:09 am »

So, now that Dwarf Fortress has a music person, we can start throwing out procgen music dreams without having to worry about Toady having to waste time trying to deal with it...

While I don't think it would be feasible (or indeed particularly pleasurable) to play constant procgen music based on the in-game musical styles and instruments, I would like to see it represented audibly in some way.

If sound effects are also going to be added to the game (and that's a big if, I've seen nothing official either way), while I'm hovering over my tavern, or wandering about there during Adventurer, I'd like to be able to pick up (amongst the tavern chatter effects) actual snippets of procgen music based on what's playing at the time. In the background, just adding to the atmosphere, but unique each time and "correct".

An alternative if even that's too advanced for realtime play, how about pre-made music snippets which are able to adjust according to the instruments actually being played in-game?

Again, not a complete track, just part of the general background noise a second or two at a time (think sound effects rather than music).

(Putting this here for now until it's clear where non-Toady suggestions are supposed to go to ensure they're seen).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:59:15 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Procgen tavern music
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:06:33 am »

The hard part of procgen music isn't just the music, the programming is hard too, and you need pretty in-depth knowledge of both for it.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procgen tavern music
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:13:02 pm »

one song and one song only https://youtu.be/jM8EaL1Zm6w