Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Can I Alter Suscepibility to Stress  (Read 974 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Can I Alter Suscepibility to Stress
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:46:33 pm »

That's what I want to do; change how stress impacts fortress citizens. I don't know the mechanisms by which I'd do that, or if I even can. Is there, I don't know, a line of code somewhere I can remove or edit that would, for example, remove or reduce the stress caused by seeing an invader corpse? Because at the moment citizens flip out over dumb, mundane stuff that piles on top of things I cannot help like not being able to see family who live offsite.

And discuss the topic at hand; if I wanted to discuss stress-related strategy I'd make a thread about that. I've explored that avenue already and the game is still immersion breaking in how stress works, so now I just want to edit the game as far as I'm able to.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Alter Suscepibility to Stress
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:47 pm »

Now, I'm no modder but this is what I've picked up.

In your raw files there's a file called creature_standard.txt. Open that up in your preferred text editor.
The first thing in that text file is dwarves. It describes pretty much everything there is to know about dwarves as a creature. (Though anything that pertains to dwarves as a civilization is found in entity_default.txt)

Anyway, somewhere in that file it says [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]. This describes the personality trait of stress vulnerability. I believe that the first number is the minimum, the second number is the median, and the third number is the maximum. Dwarves have 0:45:100, which means that on average they'll be a bit less stressed out than humans and such would be. If you want your dwarves to have personalities less prone to stress, just adjust the numbers for minimum and/or maximum downwards.

Changing that line to be [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:15:100] would make it so that all the dwarves in your world are on average more able to cope with stressful situations. Only dwarves though, humans and elves and such will stay the way they are in vanilla.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Alter Suscepibility to Stress
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:29:36 pm »

Now, I'm no modder but this is what I've picked up.

In your raw files there's a file called creature_standard.txt. Open that up in your preferred text editor.
The first thing in that text file is dwarves. It describes pretty much everything there is to know about dwarves as a creature. (Though anything that pertains to dwarves as a civilization is found in entity_default.txt)

Anyway, somewhere in that file it says [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]. This describes the personality trait of stress vulnerability. I believe that the first number is the minimum, the second number is the median, and the third number is the maximum. Dwarves have 0:45:100, which means that on average they'll be a bit less stressed out than humans and such would be. If you want your dwarves to have personalities less prone to stress, just adjust the numbers for minimum and/or maximum downwards.

Changing that line to be [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:15:100] would make it so that all the dwarves in your world are on average more able to cope with stressful situations. Only dwarves though, humans and elves and such will stay the way they are in vanilla.

This sent me down a fascinating rabbit hole. I play a version of Masterwork that I've heavily modified for myself, and I was hoping to find ways to edit stress that are universal across the races. I think I found just that.

Anyway, the code you mentioned wasn't in standard.txt because in MW each race has its own file, such as creature_civ_dwarf.txt. What I found was that there is a personality code line that you mentioned for dwarves, but not elves or humans. I play human fortress, so I know humans do vary in how they can handle it, so what I assume at the moment is that without that special line of code the stress variability defaults to 0:50:100. Someone's almost certainly already done this but I'm going to add that line of code in for humans at 0:25:75 and see what happens.