Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam impact  (Read 1768 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Steam impact
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:52:13 pm »

So Steam release will increase DF playerbase.

If it is small these forums will probably still notice more activity.

But it probably won't be.

Making this thread to talk about what DF on Steam means for the (near) future of the Bay 12 Games forum. And DF community at large.

I suppose on the extreme end there might be cause for a convention. DwarfCon. Is/was that a thing?
Awesome With Autism

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam impact
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 11:05:11 pm »

More likely it will just be a booth at one of the various game cons.

I was also a little concerned about the equivalent of an "eternal september" moment, since this forum tends to weed out the more puerile and offensive over time, and it's been several years since the last great purging.  However, Steam has its own forums, and from what I have been seeing, the new kids seem content to stay there.  I poke in from time to time to see how they are doing, and to answer some questions here and there.

Only time will tell how this all plays out. It's a bit premature at this point I feel.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:29:49 pm »

I don't think it will mean much at all. I doubt it's going to bring a huge influx of casual players who couldn't play because ASCII, because DF just isn't a game you can pick up and casually play. You need to invest time into learning multiple systems. Most likely they'll get stuck on the UI, the control scheme or the overall style of the game and quit.

The small amount who stick around will most likely go to Reddit or Discord, I think.

Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:03 am »

Most likely they'll get stuck on the UI, the control scheme or the overall style of the game and quit.

Weren't UI and control scheme on the list of things being evaluated for possible updating before the Steam release?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 10:28:31 am »

Not that I recall. He said that sounds were going to get reworked and it was going to ship with a default tileset. But I didn't read too deeply.

I imagine we'll see a bump in forum activity, at least for a while.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:55:09 am »

There apparently will be a DF booth at PAX, or at least a kitfox booth with DF featured.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:11 pm »

Most likely they'll get stuck on the UI, the control scheme or the overall style of the game and quit.

Weren't UI and control scheme on the list of things being evaluated for possible updating before the Steam release?
Yes, to a minor extent at least.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.