Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inbuilt Diary (simple text edit and save)  (Read 933 times)

Lestrage

• Bay Watcher
  • novice creature of the night
    • View Profile
Inbuilt Diary (simple text edit and save)
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:41:43 am »

Suggesting to add a diary function to Fort mode and possibly Adventure mode. This could be a simple option to type in brief text at a automatically assigned current date (option to manually select).

User selects option to create a diary entry object, and you are given a field with  a few details (like date, region, fort / character, world name) already added quickly for you. You can select to save and it will add a text file (with the typed info) into to a folder. It would be good if the function can be selected quickly to make brief entries as events and thoughts happen.

I did not see any external utilities developed for this...but if inbuilt diary is impossible is it may be good to develop as a utility also (eg use with LNP)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:35:26 am by Lestrage »
The platypus is making a plaintive gesture. The pangolin is striking a menacing pose. The penguin is laughing.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Inbuilt Diary (simple text edit and save)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »

If you set the date in the future, you could have it work as a reminder.

103-03-21: Full moon.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:41:54 pm »

I think this is a great idea and I'd also like it if we could make it into an actual (blank) book and only be able to access it in Fortress Mode if you have a record keeper dwarf while you would only access it in Adventure Mode if you know how to write and read. If the book is stolen you actually lose that information that can only be accessed again if you recover the book.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 01:27:32 am »

I think this is a great idea and I'd also like it if we could make it into an actual (blank) book and only be able to access it in Fortress Mode if you have a record keeper dwarf while you would only access it in Adventure Mode if you know how to write and read. If the book is stolen you actually lose that information that can only be accessed again if you recover the book.
Surely the presence of any fortress mode scholar should enable reading of the book? And indeed, why block it in the first place when every other book in the library is readable?

Adventurer having an actual book is a good idea. I have a vague feeling I've seen this done somewhere before in long forgotten rpg.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:30:59 am by Shonai_Dweller »

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:23:26 am »

Surely the presence of any fortress mode scholar should enable reading of the book? And indeed, why block it in the first place when every other book in the library is readable?

Adventurer having an actual book is a good idea. I have a vague feeling I've seen this done somewhere before in long forgotten rpg.

I agree in not blocking it for reading, but for writing you would need a scholar, like you already do to write books anyway. That would keep things consistent. Makes sense?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:15:33 am »

Adventurers can write without being scholars, can’t they? They should be able to. Either way it might be annoying if a feature like this is locked behind skill and tool/material requirements. The bestiary doesn’t need a book to be carried around by the adventurer, and neither does the map require an actual map item.

I’m for this idea, either way, as I already make notes outside of the game, and having it be properly implemented would add a certain flow, especially with automatic date marks etc.

+1

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:24 am »

Adventurers can write without being scholars, can’t they? They should be able to. Either way it might be annoying if a feature like this is locked behind skill and tool/material requirements. The bestiary doesn’t need a book to be carried around by the adventurer, and neither does the map require an actual map item.

I’m for this idea, either way, as I already make notes outside of the game, and having it be properly implemented would add a certain flow, especially with automatic date marks etc.

+1

I meant in fortress mode, sorry lol (regarding the scholar thing).

And I think DF in general already puts features behind skill walls. You can't read a book in DF if you don't know how to read for example. But either way for me is fine. It could be simply a moddable feature if people feel strongly about it.