Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 103609 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #300 on: September 07, 2018, 11:03:46 pm »

I am looking for stories with great descriptions. What I mean by that is stories where when you read them you think that it would be amazing to see something similar. Even if the plot is bad or characters shallow, I am looking for stories which are an experience to read through. I am also looking for stories about the nature of reputation and a good name. Stories that address the topic of focus would be interesting as well.  If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2018, 01:11:50 pm »

Pact is frequently praised for its worldbuilding and characters, but criticised for its pacing. It's also very heavily focused on reputation. It isn't a fanfic, tho.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2018, 03:31:00 pm »

Pact is frequently praised for its worldbuilding and characters, but criticised for its pacing. It's also very heavily focused on reputation. It isn't a fanfic, tho.
I mean, yeah, it's an experience, but one of grinding misery.

The author's other works, however, are superior. Worm is good, but Twig was my favourite (and I haven't actually read much of Ward).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2018, 03:58:18 pm »

I really enjoyed Pact. All of Wildbow's work is good, but Pact is directly relevant to the question.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2018, 03:59:38 pm »

Gods, I can't and probably wouldn't recommend doing it, but a lot of martial arts fantasy -- check, say, novelupdates -- involves those things in a sort of conceptual sense. They just also happen to largely be barely mitigated shite in terms of general quality and their outlook towards reputation and a good name is more like an excuse for mass murder and atrocity. Focus also isn't uncommon to see, being an aspect of the general punch magic fantasy thing!

It's just. Hell. Wuxia/Xanxia/etc. -- largely stuff translated, mostly unofficially, from chinese/korean/japanese (in roughly that order in terms of proportion) -- hits pretty much all of that request just in like probably the worst ways possible :V

... I read bunches of the stuff, lately, 'cause people throwing landscape at each other apparently really does it for some part of my brain, but I can't really recommend any off the top of my head 'cause they're largely just kinda' terrible.

E: And most of the stuff I've read that approached decent veered pretty hard from those sorts of themes so welp. Basically I'm saying go to novelupdates, sort by hits/views/popularity/whatever-it-is, and you'll have as good if odds of hitting what you're asking for (if not actually looking for) as me trying to recommend one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:02:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2019, 02:44:54 pm »

I have found something that peaked my interest recently and and looking for similar stories.
Stories involving Magical Law and lawyers. Magical detectives are not quite as interesting but can be really fun too.
A Sci-Fi lawyer series would probably be interesting if it was soft enough.

This could stories about the effects of laws that are magical on a society.

It also could be stories about lawyers who have to defend or prosecute in a magical setting.

I have found several stories that come near this particular itch and I am wondering if anyone knows of any other ones that I could read.

First is the anime wizard barristers. There was also a quest about Ema Sky form Ace Attorney going to King DeDeDe's Kingdom. I also found a few stories about one off arcs about people in D&D campaigns dealing with being shuffled through a legal process. I also have seen that one fan-video series about Phoenix Wright solving a case in Equestria. I also found a few pretty awful harry potter fanfics which have a pretty big focus on the law in some !EvilDumbledoor stories.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2019, 09:11:46 pm »

I also have seen that one fan-video series about Phoenix Wright solving a case in Equestria.

Operation Turnabout might be your cup of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C87tIT8VzS0&list=PLHngGFL9-q1nmevxFgpi4VWQv-hiSmMIy
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]