Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eva the artistically incapable swordswoman (Beginner's Adventure Mode Story)  (Read 1824 times)

Lukepop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to my writeup of my first proper Dwarf Fortress adventure mode game, and my first Dwarf Fortress game in a long while! There isn't anything particularly different about this world, character, or author, but I'm just going to try and make the best story I can from the fun I've had playing DF. My notes started out very sparse but developed as time went on, and hopefully my writing skills will follow that development. I encourage anyone who reads to engage with the story via memes or honest interaction!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:02:37 pm by Lukepop »
"Eva the artistically incapable swordswoman," my beginner's adventure mode story. "Beginner" in terms writing as well as DF!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177413.0

Lukepop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bronzedstring is a small castle in the Hills of Steam. One of the northernmost fortifications of the Union of Couples, it is part of a line of strongholds that run east to west and defend and patrol the river valleys of the northernmost lands of the Union. This land is new to Union settlers too, Bronzedstring was only founded in 157. The castle has it's dramas, but they are all small; It is a rare thing to see armies march in these valleys and Bronzedstring has never been assaulted. Instead, in the classic role of border fortresses, the warriors of Bronzedstring range out atop their warhorses to the wilds in and amongst these valleys to surveil and purge these dangers before they can assault the hamlets.

I was one of these cavalrywomen, a human. My name is Eva Ushanova, Eva Bladeriver. My hair is long and wavy though I wear it tied up. I have spent most my life working outside or training for war and so I am more muscular than most. My pale brown eyes are very round and I'm told my cheekbones sit very low in my face. My nose turns up slightly and is broader than most. My hair is the colour of chocolate, something I've only seen once or twice, and my skin tone is copper. I dutifully served the Baroness Buqui, who ruled the League of Weather from her domain of Bronzedstring. We were surrounded by dark pits of the Goblins, and it was often our lot to fight off their raiding parties before they reached the villages. I was born and raised in these valleys, and as I grew I admired the skilled knights and horsemen that rode past our homes and seemed to travel everywhere in their quest to keep us safe. I had just come to join the Baroness when my adventure began, and I was about to start seeing just how large, beautiful, and unfair the world could be.

14th of Granite, 250.

We first spoke in the entry hall of Bronzedstring, busy with the constant energy of that place. "Baroness Buqui, my name is Eva Bladeriver. I have arrived to serve as your hearthperson, praise the night."

The Baroness was an older, demure woman draped in wool cloth dyed light blue. The closest thing she had to a weapon was a dagger by herside. Her skills were in understanding and leading others. She had a level head on her shoulders and  was a powerful counterbalance to the natural tendency to violence of most frontierfolk. Her tired eyes turned to face mine, and a small smile settled into her face, "Ah Eva Bladeriver, it's good to see you. You've come to be one of the riders, I remember now. This is a dangerous path you know. These adventurer-soldiers often face their foes alone. Hopefully your friends can dissuade of this foolishness but still, praise the night and long live the cause."

I shook my head, just slightly, and smiled. I joked, "I'll be alright Baroness. I've got my sword and I've got my horse Nisam. I'll use my sword on the things I can kill and I'll use Nisam to get away from the rest!"

Her smile stayed in place for a second, before she began to laugh. To be honest I though the joke was kind of terrible but oh well! In the lull in our conversation she resumed, "Since you are so eager and optimistic, how would you like your first duty?"

I nodded and she continued, "Well then, the giantess Leya..."

I sputtered out, "A giantess? By Mukca... a giantess? Baroness I've never killed anyone and you wish for me to fight a giantess?"

She was frozen for a moment then resumed, "Well you don't need to fight her immediately. In fact this giantess, Leya Strengthfly, lives in Phrasescars cave in the Jungle of Leaves. As you know the Jungle is a fair distance to the south-east from here, though I couldn't tell you where."

Her eyes and posture softened a little. "Eva, I agree that it wouldn't be wise for you to face the Leya Strengthfly as you are. She has killed three and her strength is that of many men. But this is what the League of Weather needs from you. This is the danger in your position. You ride out to face it, and our hopes travel with you"

In the face of this danger a plan began to form in my mind. I asked the baroness about other troubles plaguing the area. Other dangers I could face for now. I learned about many, but a single issue stood out to me. Half a day to the east a group of outlaws had encamped in the abandoned monastery of Twistgripped. The monastery was founded in 157 by the Creed of Standing, and the central shrine was known as the Chapel of Esteem. We agreed this was a good place to begin as I could also rescue whatever relics remained in the Chapel. I equipped myself by adding a bronze helm, leather armour, iron mail, a hood, some bags, copper low boots, and a bronze morningstar and shield to my kit. The most valuable of which was far and away my bronze greatsword. It wasn't particularly well-made but I still found it beautiful in it's own way. Just before I left, almost on a whim, I also grabbed 25 silver bolts and arrows. I doubted I would find a bow or crossbow but they may prove incredibly useful in a bad situation, the same with that morningstar and shield as backup weapons.

Just outside the keep, adding to his already prodigous bulk, was my horse Nisam Kamlocquenir, Nisam Coupleseal. I had known him his whole life and he passed into my care after my parents passed away. He was too valuable and too important to me to really be called a possession. His hair was chestnut brown and kept shortcut to stop him from sweating too much in the Savanna we called home. His skin was a dark peach in tone.

I rubbed him down and fed him some hay from the Baroness' stables. I had only just arrived at the keep so his saddle was still affixed, I merely retightened it and packed his bags with various things. As we walked out of the stable I felt his head jerk to look back mournfully at the hay and apples glistening in the sun.

"Hey now Nisam! Haven't we trained you up to be a big strong warhorse with an iron will? Come on, we'll find you something to eat I'm sure."

As we rode past the outer walls I waved goodbye to the guards then began to pray. Mukca Dreamyflash is the Goddess of the Moon, the Night, and dreams. She isn't worshipped by that many but I've always found her tenets comforting. That there is harmony to be found in the depths of night, a light amidst the darkness, and a milky pale hand to lead you to salvation if you have the strength to follow.

"Mukca Dreamyflash, pale rider. I'm going now to fight my enemies and the enemies of people. In that inky darkness, I pray you will see fit to hide me from their  sight and to illuminate their weaknesses, that I can better serve your will. Your nature, and all of nature, is a blessing on the world, and we are fools to be caught up in our drive to own everything in this world. Your majesty is beyond our mortal reach, and your beauty drives us to acheive the heights of skill and art. Praise the night."

Many people lock themselves away and deny their own emotions until they get so wound up they burst. I've always found value in having someone to talk to and that has often been the Goddess. Or... well, Nisam too.

The monastery was a cluster of stone buildings, interspersed with open air shrines and gardens built around a central statue and altar. Most of the gardens had gone wild and their heady scent filled the air. If not for the mission I'd have taken time to enjoy them, pick some and lie down amongst the verdant field. The central grotto had a small open air shrine surrounded by water at the bottom of a shallow pit. Above ground it was a square shape with columns at each corner and walkways connecting each corner to it's two neighbours. The rest of the building was open and you could see down to the pit.  The majority of the stonework was engraved in swirling patterns, most of which recounted the history of the monastery itself. In the grotto itself I found a porcelain statue to the God Uce Canyonwills that blocked me from walking past, leading me to have to jump over to the other ledge. I also found a scroll and a book, the "Hidden meaning of Rasparanov" and "Common Sense Composition" respectively. The scroll was an essay on travel, and the 22 page book explored the author's journey when writing the essay. Both were adequate at best.

There were four more buildings with two to the north and two to the south. The closest southern building was unremarkable but as I snuck close to the southernmost structure I heard raucous laughter and the sound of people walking about. The Bandits. I slinked away to the northern buildings.

As with the southern buildings the nearest was unremarkable. The furthest of the two was a dining room still filled with furniture. All fair and normal. Fair enough except that every single one was fabulously decorated and they were in all kinds of materials from marble to rosegold. A peal of laughter nearly escaped my lips before I tamped it down at the last moment. To compare this extravagance to the sombre nature of their shrines was... just comedic. And it was all sitting there too. Abandoned. Pointless vanity left to rust and stain. This monastery still might be in use if they'd been a little less greedy and a little more pious or giving. Just outside was a refreshing taste of simplicity. A single stone statue amidst an earthen pattern dedicated to the God Em Fortress Stubbed.

With my reconnaisance done I rode out to wait until nightfall and read through the book and the scroll. A few hours afterwards I was sitting down and heard something crunch in the underbrush. I peeked out behind me from the corner of my eye as I surreptitiously hovered my hand just above my swordgrip. There was a copper-skinned woman there, same broad skin tone as myself and most people from the Union of Couples. She grasping a copper halberd. Past the brush I could she was wearing bronze mail and iron low boots with the rest being leather armour and clothes. My shoulders tensed up as I waited to see what she would do. Half a second felt like hours. Then she sprinted away and I jumped upright, drawing my sword with one hand and hoisting myself up into the saddle with the other. Before I was in the saddle she was gone but her tracks were easy to follow in the dense scrub and was soon on her heels. Before we came to blows I cried out, asking her who she was and what she does to see if she was a bandit. She replied, heart in her throat, that she was a soldier of the boss Thrimes Glowshins. The leader of this bandit group.

I called, out "Yield and you'll come to no harm!"

She replied, snarled and breathless, "You first coward!"

The world is brutal enough, and I'd hoped to let her live but she was a bandit. I rode her down on Nisam and cut into her while he bowled her over, stamping and furious. He then galloped right on top of her and crushed her lower leg. Her eyes rolled back in her skull as she gave into pain. His hoof soon made a gory mess of her head. I looted her armour, coins and weapon as was my right. I stored the loot on Nisam then went down next to a tree and held my head in my hands. I don't know how long I was there. I almost vomited. I thought fighting would be loud. Nisam and I were loud but she was so quiet. So terrified and desperate she didn't even scream. Eventually, after he calmed down, Nisam came over and pressed his head against mine to rouse and reassure me. I smiled up at him and basked for a second in the leafy green light filtering down from the canopy. With my resolve now restored I cut free some cloth from her clothes and laid it over her ruined visage. I murmured a quick prayer then turned around to mount Nisam but I had lost him. It took me a few hours but I eventually tracked him down as he was just meandering about. I shook my head and tied him up while I ran to the river and back to get a drink without breaking a sweat. I mounted up and rode back to my first camp, all thoughts of that woman's death now in the back of my mind. Nisam's hooves were still coated with her blood and his hoofprints tracked a crimson smear through the forest as the first of the flies began to descend on the scene.

I waited until late at night, then rode Nisam close to the monastery. I dismounted at the Grotto and slinked towards the dormitory I'd heard them in earlier. I don't know if that Halberdier had been sent out to find me but I was concerned that they suspected something was up. There was a good chance she had just been returning from some other business though, and I kept that hope in my mind.

Surprisingly, I managed to sneak up to their barracks without raising any alarms. I even slid in through the door as one of the sleeping outlaws began to snore. Mukca had blessed me. Only a handful of the outlaws were awake and I managed to get up almost next to them before they looked up from their cardgame. I charged in and hacked away at them. A bowman dropped his weapon as I sent his hand flying. Two wrestlers angled towards me. I eventually cut them down but one of them landed a punch that tore open my cheek.

I tried to respond in kind with a flurry of my own unarmed blows. My mother Ulana had been a traveller and an adventurer before settling down in the valley. She was the one who taught me how to fight, to ride, and to worship the pale rider. She had few treasures but her one prized posession had been a combat treatise from the Dwarven Holds, detailing their martial art of Kisat Dur. My kicks and strikes missed or were dodged easily. Well, my classes with her did always spend a lot more on the art of swordplay than on unarmed combat. When in need, fall back on what's natural. A goblin halberdier, a speargoblin and the unfortunate bowman were left. They blocked some blows with their shields or their heavier armour and it took some time but I managed to wear my way through the defenses of the goblins and destroyed their abilities to stand up or to hold anything, before soon finishing them off. The archer was quick work after that. The handful of other bandits were asleep or beginning to wake and I quickly finished them all off without any issues. I looted the corpses of coins, weapons, and metal armour, including my new bronze bow, and walked out. That had been frantic and messy but I had come out on top. I had tested my skills, my drive, my pure being against half a score or more and they had been found wanting. My face broke into a grim smile as satisfaction set in at a job well done. Triumph danced up and down my mind like summer lightning.

I screamed. A harsh and conflicted cry. Their mangled faces and bodies looking up at me. A lifeless eye cut open and oozing. A hand, seperated from it's body and lying in a pile of blood with a single fly perched atop the yellowed thumbnail, staring at me. A terrified face and a mangled throat, woken from rest;  it's yell of surprise is choked with it's own blood. I looked down at the coin purses I had taken. Had I done this just for wealth? For my pride? I knew I had done it for my duty and to perfect my skill as a fighter, but in the moment I felt tainted. I looked down at a gold piece in my hand. My hand was spattered with their blood and it began to spread to the gold. I tossed it out into the forest with a curse. I knew why I had done this. I know who I am. I am in control of my self, and I bend my self to serve my liege and my goddess and to perfect my skills. I sunk to my knees in pre-dawn light, and thought I could see the moon just slipping beneath the horizon. Breathless and ragged I cried, "I swear to Mukca Dreamyflash and on the souls of my mother and father, I will put this wealth to good use and I will not become corrupted by greed or pride. I will do what I have sworn to do. I will serve, teach, learn, and grow. I swear it."

The moon, seemingly hung in place for those few seconds, slipped below the horizon. When I got back to Nisam I gave him a pat on the head and some hay from his saddlebags. I then loaded him up with the loot, including that book and scroll and my new bronze bow, and mounted up. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:09:50 pm by Lukepop »
"Eva the artistically incapable swordswoman," my beginner's adventure mode story. "Beginner" in terms writing as well as DF!

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png

First, welcome to the fourm. Second, I really enjoyed your story. And third  I have a bit of a suggestion, could you add screenshots? Not really needed, as your writing is good enough as it is. But having a few screenshots scattered around could really boost what you write.

I'm looking forward to your next write up :).

Oh! Also, could post the map. I want to get the feel of the place.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:00:32 pm by Luckyowl »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Welcome as well, I'll be reading along. Cool stuff, so far, Lukepop.

Sounds like this is an after-action report from notes, Luckyowl - doubt there are any screenshots sitting around.

Lukepop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

16th of Granite, 250.

A herd of Rhinos were grazing amidst the savannah. From out of the brush came the twang of a bowstring, and the shining point of a bronze-tipped arrow. The herd scattered in a thunderous cacophony but something else added to that mess of noise. The clatter of galloping hooves and the curse of a swordswoman turned erstwhile huntress.

On the way back to Bronzedstring I had spotted a chance to test my skills and learn to provide for myself. My entire life my mother had been a hunter and she had always stressed to me the need to be self-sufficient when travelling the open road. Put she had only ever given me the broad outlines of bow usage and I'd never put in much practice.

I urged my horse onwards after the rhino I'd fired at, "Come on Nisam! After it!"

I loosed arrow after arrow, burning my way through the ammunition I'd taken from that bandit archer. A few scored their mark but most went wide. Snap, crack. Dry grass and dead branches sent flying by our frantic chase. I began to lose my patience.

I shouted out, "Ack! Screw all this I'm just going to cut it down. Come on Nisam let's close to melee!"

By the time we closed my bow was hanging down by Nisam's saddle and I was grasping my sword in both hands. When we came alongside the rhino I brought the blade down in a quick and violent thrust and Nisam began to maul it. The Rhino tossed it's head off to the side and Nisam dodged away with the nimbleness of a veteran warhorse, despite his corpulence. The rhino scored a shallow strike that tore open the skin on my left leg, but with another few blows from our side he came to his knees with a trumpeting cry and then passed into unconsciousness. It's a nasty path to take but my mother always said it's best to let them bleed out in order to avoid damaging the meat any further. Nisam kept mauling it as I waited. The rhino was a tenacious beast and he took a long time to bleed out even after passing out.

I sheathed my sword and dismounted, flicking out my carving knife as I did so. The process of cutting open that rhino was a hell of a crash course in butchery but I was no stranger to seeing an animal die. I'd seen the end products from when my mother had cut up her quarries so I had some idea of what I was after and how to get there but no experience at taking the actual journey. Despite all this I managed to do fairly well. I managed to wash most of the gore from off my body and armour in that stream and I was soon back in the saddle headed for home.

A voice cried out from atop the gatehouse as I approached, "Ho rider, what business do you have here?" I could see him poking just above the battlements. It was Lir the Spearman. He stayed in the castle whilst the riders went out and I had known him my whole life. "Ho Lir, it's me Eva returned from Twistgripped. I've cleaned out the whole place."

I heard the clap of boots on stone as he walked down. The gate eased open and I saw his crook-toothed mouth open in a smile.

"Ah well alls the worse for them then. Come on in and best of luck to you Bladeriver. That's a mighty feat to face them all down alone. Maybe you are some kind of a Deified champion eh?"

A rueful smile broke out on my face as I dismounted and lead Nisam inside, "I wouldn't say anything like that but did seem like the Goddess was watching over me then. I felt almost invisible you know!"

As he closed the gate I noticed the quality of some of Lir's equipment and was reminded of my oath. I traded him my helm and all my coppers and silvers for his well-made breastplate, helm, and bronze gauntlets. Lir seemed a decent man but had a greedy streak a mile wide and accepted my generous deal without comment. I bid him goodbye and made my way to the stables.

I slid out of the saddle and loosened it. I wasn't planning on staying for long. The blood came off his hooves with some elbow grease and he seemed to enjoy the chance to relax and eat. When I turned around I saw the baroness looking at me from the steps of the keep.

I walked up to meet her, "Greetings Baroness, I've slain those bandits and I've brought back most of their supplies for Bronzedstring."

"Greetings Eva Bladeriver, it is good to see you again. I see you've sustained a few injuries but nothing too serious. It's good to see you're well. To have taken them all out on your own... I think you are well suited for this position. You honour me with your service."

She paused and smiled mischievously, "And it seems you honour Mukca Dreamyflash as well. "Practically invisible?""

I drew near and gave an embarrassed half-bow, "It was something said in passing Baroness, I did not mean to boast. I only seek to-..."

The smile broadened, "No I don't imagine you did Eva. In fact, I think you may have been right. Eva Ushavomba the Deified. I think it fits you well for the skill and devotion you have demonstrated."

"Th... thank you Baroness. I have some gifts for you specifically that I recovered from the bandits in case you need to defend yourself." I handed her some mail, a shield, and a spear.

"Well Eva I'm not a warrior but I will keep all this with me. I think you're right that it pays to be prepared. If you are heading out again soon then I wish you luck. May the night shield you and the pale rider guide you."

I nodded and returned with my own goodbye then entered the keep itself to drop off the rest of what I was giving. I kept all my own equipment and the coins but gave most of the spare arms and armour, such as the two halberds I'd gained, over to the castle armoury.

I remounted Nisam and rode out towards the south-east, towards the Jungle of Leaves and the cave of Phrasescars. I had no idea where Phrasescars itself was but now I had experience under my belt and I knew I could handle whatever the journey threw at me. I would speak to the Elves in the Jungle and learn of Phrasescars location from them.

Along the way I stopped over in the local Hamlet of Tellplumed and traded coin and equipment with the local warriors to upgrade my own defenses. By her permission, I slept in the mead hall of the lady Mel Erratad.

17th of Granite, 250.

Because I was still a fledgling warrior, my full battle regalia slowed me down significantly when I wore the whole kit. After my various trades I now had a full suit of armour except for greaves. My gauntlets and high boots were bronze, and the rest was iron. I regretted the lack of greaves but my high boots, iron chain shirt, and iron leggings covered my legs regardless so I would still probably be able to run a marathon if someone took an axe to my calves. Probably. Eventually.

Nisam and I made excellent pace to the Jungle and we arrived at the Elven retreat of Splashedlathered in no time. I was deeply unfamiliar with how these settlements worked but I called out regardless.

"Greetings elves, I am Eva Ushavomba... the Deified. I am a hearthperson of the Baroness Buqui and a swordswoman and I'm looking for some directions."

From out of the canopy poked an elven face, curious but reserved. The Elves have often warred with the various human nations, though not so much with my own people. I didn't believe them to be inherently evil creatures, but they could be capricious and as vicious and cruel as any goblin. The elf called out,

"Greetings human, I am the elven bowyer Ditari Rinsescales.  Come up the tree so that we may speak."

Half-suspecting the elf was going to shoot me and eat my corpse, I obeyed. I dismounted and shimmied up the tree in my full regalia.

She looked up from a carving workshop that seemed adorned with holy symbols. The subtle smell of incense arose from a hardwood bowl. The entire place had a mystic air but she invited me in regardless and bade me sit. "Eva... that's an interesting name. Does it mean anything?"

"No, not really. Just a fancy of my parents. The giantess Leya Strengthfly has killed three in her lust for murder. "

"It is terrible. But why do you bring it up?" She paused and looked up and down over my kit. "You're not planning to hunt her are you? Leya Strengthfly has defeated many fine elven warriors. "

"I am confident I can kill her, rest assured. Could you give me the directions to Phrasescars or not? The sooner I end her the better."

Her eyes hardened, "If you wish to die alone in a lightless cave headstrong human, then I won't stop you. Phrasescars is a few hours travel to the west..."

She continued and gave me a detailed description as I felt my blood begin to simmer. Arrogant and overbearing. She did not know me or my dedication to my craft. I bade her a curt farewell and set out to the west.

I found Phrasescars in without delay, but it was drawing late. I drew back to sleep far enough away that I hoped the giantess would not notice me. Or any other would-be ambushers for that matter.

18th of Granite, 250.

The night passed uneventfully, and I awoke just as dawn broke. I rode Nisam to the entrance. There were no tracks nearby, only the whistling of wind through the canopies. I left Nisam by the entrance along with most of what I had on me. I took only my sword, armour, carving knife, and some water and rations.

The cave soon became lightless and I went back outside to grab my lantern and oil, then continued my descent. The lantern hung at my belt while I grasped my sword in both hands. The space was small, but a ramp led down to another level. Then another and another. Spiralling ever downwards. I checked every section but found no trace of the giantess except for a wooden amulet and gnawed bones. One pile seemed far less yellowed; some scraps of decaying flesh still clung to it. I wondered if that person was why I had been sent here.

The lowest level of the cave opened into a twisting network of tunnels and caverns. I clambered my way down the narrow shaft leading down into the darkness. My memory was by no means terrible, but I knew that I could easily forget where this exit was when I was navigating those twisting depths. I dropped two copper coins on a stone outcropping where they could easily be seen, and headed into the darkness.

Up and down, left and right. Twisting, grasping, squeezing. Eyes flickering between searching for tracks and keeping an eye out for what might be lying in wait in the shadows. This was not the night. This was not the embrace of Mucka. This was a cursed realm where the moon never shone.

I picked up tracks. Moss and ferns on the cavern floor that had been pushed aside. I followed them, low to the ground and taking precise care with where to place my feet. With one hand on my lantern to keep it from clattering too much, I silently crept closer. A family of dog-like creatures, pale and pink. They were not my prey, and I didn't want to waste the time or energy to kill them.  I slinked away. Despite their somewhat repulsive nature, it was interesting to see such a different creature to the ones I knew. It was also deeply satisfying that I had picked up their tracks, even if they hadn't been what I'd hoped.

The path took me down another slope, squeezing through another tunnel. Deeper and deeper. Peeking out from behind a stalactite I saw another amulet. Then tracks. Footprints this time, colossal ones. Now this was the trail. I dimmed my lantern and moved forwards. I found several different tracks and followed them up one by one. Most doubled back on themselves after passing by another artifact or piece of jewellery. A rose gold crown and scepter stood out to me. Both were beautiful, but the scepter in particular had an uncommon elegance. I noted them in the back of my mind. The Baroness would have a good use for those, or at least she would appreciate their value and enjoy posessing them in a way I do not. I didn't take any of the items when I found them, because I thought it would be best to leave as little trace as possible until the giantess was dead.

The final trail led deeper in. I heard a deep female voice humming out mangled syllables to herself, "Crunch, munch, boil some brunch. This is what the pointy-ears eat, this is why they make good meat." A crude and bellowing guffaw echoed throughout the caverns.

I crept over to where the laughter had come from and closed the lantern to keep me from being discovered. I craned my head and, after my eyes adjusted, saw a huge humanoid woman cramped over something in the cavern. Her hair was mangy and brown, and her skin was a dark brown. Her entire body was caked with filth, and I doubted she had ever bathed. In one meaty fist I could see she was holding a leather gauntlet, inscribed with elven runes. Her other hand held a skull tied around the end of a wooden pole. She seemed preoccupied so I crept over towards her.

I flicked open my lantern and drove my hand at her left hand, severing the tendons and sending the gauntlet flying off into the darkness. Her idle mutterings erupted into bellows as she turned around. "Filthy human! I've killed-..."

Her words faded into the background as I drove another thrust at her leg and dove away from her strike. She stepped away from my blow and she swept the skull totem at me. I brought my sword up in an arcing parry and carried it forward into her head, rupturing the flesh in her face. She charged at me and I wove away. The battle continued onwards as I would step away from her blows and parry her strikes. I focused on her legs, to bring her to the ground, and I eventually broke through.

She cried out, "Can it all end so quickly? This doesn't scare me." and her movements began panicked and wild as vomit rolled out from beneath her lips. She was still dangerous, but her life was near to it's end. She soon gave into pain and her eyes rolled back into her final sleep. I cut apart her throat and with a few vicious strikes she bled to death like a stuck pig.

I was breathing hard. I was satisfied. The whole fight, and not a scratch. Some tension escaped my shoulders. So much for "fine elven warriors" I suppose. It was through the grace of Mukca that I survived but it was also through my own strength to follow her. I picked up the skull totem, now flecked with the giantess' own blood. I promised then that I would see the skull disposed of respectfully, though I couldn't know who it belonged to or what they followed. To treat her with her own medicine and as an experiment, I cut off Leya's head and remove all the flesh. Now I had taken her skull in return. I began to gather up all the other artifacts I could find, including the gauntlet now that the giantess was dead.

I was picking up the rose-gold scepter when I heard huge footsteps pounding throughout the caverns. Before I could hide, we saw each other. Another giantess. This seemed like it could be a serious problem but there was also a good chance I'd kill her too. I dropped the artifacts I was carrying and leapt back, drawing my sword as I did so. She slammed her fist against the wall as I wove out of the way and slashed away at the fat. She bellowed, "Stupid human! I'll turn your bones to flour! I am Famebristle the Unswerving! Killer of..."

Her braggadocious prattle continued but my focus faded away as battle resumed. Parry and thrust, weave and strike. This Famebristle was a far less threatening opponent than Strengthfly and she seemed younger as well. Throughout the battle she continued to brag, cry out in fear, or deny the terror that was setting into her heart. My fight with Famebristle lasted longer, but I was in less danger throughout. I thrust at her stomach and she began to spew forth bile. I slashed out her left tendon and she sunk to her knees. Now she was prone and incapacitated her death soon followed. I took her skull as well as the last of the jewellery. In her hand had been a figurine made from pipe opal. It was incredibly beautiful, even in that dank and oppressive space. I took the figurine, her skull, and the last of the jewellery and made my way into the winding tunnels. Two giantesses. Both slain without a scratch. My sword had felt natural in my hands, as all my focus had narrowed down into the fight. It was deeply gratifying to wield such mastery over myself and the lives of others.

I collected one of the two coins and shimmied my way up to the caves, and then out into the surface. Nisam looked quizzically up at me and his eyes seemed to ask why I'd left him alone so long. I walked over to him, laid my hand against his neck, and fed him some hay while I just stood and watched the world. I sat down against the cave and stared out at the forest, cleaning and tending to my sword and listening to the birdsong.

After a few minutes I roused myself. Nisam had gone back to nibbling away at the grasses and I murmured half to him and half to myself, "Slaying some monsters Nisam..." I paused and looked down at the sword in my hands as I was sharpening away a small nick, "Slaying them with this, with Slodinazweng." An ordinary bronze sword that had slain two giantesses. Leya Strengthfly had even been born since before time began. Such a feat had more than earned it it's name. Slodinazweng, Monsterbane.

Lukepop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
-snip-

Thank you to both of you to reading and for your suggestions! It is indeed an after-action report though this game is still active and I can access the map etc. In that spirit, here it is!

"Oh, you want to see a map from that area? Sure no worries." She gets up from the table you two have been sitting at and walks over to a stepladder, and from there accesses a small hatch in the roof of this jungle cabin. After throwing it open she searches around for a little while and a few half-muffled curses make their way down to you as you sip at your drink. After about ten minutes she comes down. "I suppose I should put it on the floor really, there's not much space left on that table. Anyways, as you can see..."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png

The dwarf  put his mug on the table and got on the floor. He strokes his  mighty braided beard in admiration closely examining the map. "Very interesting, indeed. I'm quite interested in your story so far. If you keep this up, I might lend you a barrel of dwarven booze from my wagon as promised." The dwarf looks up to Eva and gives a massive grin, "With no further interupption, please continue", The dwarf gets up from the floor and sits back at his chair. He takes a sip of his drink and patiently wait for Eva to get back in her chair and continue her story.