Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you even still reading this :P ?

Yes.
No, just passing by.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudarkalur  (Read 72911 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2019, 12:43:24 pm »

: "What about cats? Do you have cats?"
: "Striluot? Whe have two in crate, they're pretty fierce beasts you know."
"I'll buy that crate. Here's one gold bar."
"No, two. They're fierce and aloof, highly prized!"

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2019, 03:36:00 am »

"Oh, these are nice boys!" said Alak.
"We should name them." Urnût said.
"Hmmm... We still have some gold bars... I'm not going to puzzle my head with cat names now, I'm going to find something worth of buying."

If you come up with some good name, you can suggest!  :) The caravan of dwarves will soon depart.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2019, 05:07:14 am »

This is great!

For cat names, I suggest Bomrek Bomikbshoth (Whip Verminscourge) and Catten Deshlirnog  (Catten Cuddlefoot).
One wheel short of a wagon

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2019, 08:55:50 am »

For cat names, I suggest Bomrek Bomikbshoth (Whip Verminscourge) and Catten Deshlirnog  (Catten Cuddlefoot).

+1, on the condition that of course Bomrek Bomikabshoth is the friendlier and purr-ier of the two. :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:58:50 am by mightymushroom »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2019, 09:23:48 am »

+1, on the condition that of course Bomrek Bomikabshoth is the friendlier and purr-ier of the two. :P

Great! Tomorrow story will continue, so last chance for suggestions at this place. What do you always wanted to say to Duto Kosethrunim? Say it now!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2019, 10:48:12 am »

Buy crossbows and ammunition, food for the road, any books, and a barrel of venom if they have one
One wheel short of a wagon

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2019, 12:03:06 pm »

I invented a new way to make quick replies, look!

: "Do you have crossbows and bolts?"
: "Excuse me?"
: "Nevermind. Ermis will take look at your food, she's unparalleled expert. Books?"
: "I am a storyteller, a Xemfedem, I keep every Xedem, story and tale in my head. Only few of our Alho mastered art of writing, and we don't unfortunately possess any scriptures."
: "And what about venom? In a container."
: "Ámtoc, Quazi?"
He came up closer and whispered: "I've got few, and I need to get rid of it. Tribesmen... Don't really like this stuff. I'll give them to you, let's say, three bars?"
: "What kind of venom is that?"
: "I don't know really, it smells like no one I know. And I know a lot."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 07:22:27 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2019, 10:22:33 am »

"Okay..." Ermis said. "I'll take some of this llama cheese and those fancy fruit you have, I'll experiment a little bit. I think some cloth won't hurt too."
"Good." said Duto. "These few gold bars are enough. Glad you've traded with us!"
"We're glad too." said Alak. "But now we must depart. Farewell, tribal friends!"

"Razes! Unnos!" shouted Urnût. "Stop chatting with long-necks. We're leaving!"
"Moooo!"

"Thanks for everything! You've helped us a lot!"

"Okay fellow tribesmen, let's move too." said Duto.
"Wait. What do I see?"
"Something small is crawling towards us." said Ibon, the Apucemir.

"Go hide under the tent. Now!!!"
"But..." said the warriors.
""I told you, hide! Now!"

"I'll face it alone."
The toad crawled right before Duto. They stared into each other.
Then Duto started to dance and chant.

Budokercasser is a dance originating from the Issokmong. It consists of furious stomping, chest bashing, rapid moves of arms and head.
"Budok! Budok! Rêïm-Shin! Mestri-Kar! Opkiwan, Opkiwan! Ahangsmomper! Usmonashra! Usmonashra! Usmonashra Aboalho! Muthroothag! Er! Er!"
"Your request has been taken into consideration."

Duto said: "A talking Budok! Aren't you Ahang yourself?"
"As you like it. Anyways, I need to catch up one dwarf caravan."
"Pasubabo? They traded with us. This way they left, if it helps."

"Okay, thanks." said the toad and left, but it noticed something in Dutos face. He was thinking. He could think about cheese or labouring dwarves, but he looked puzzled and confused about what the toad said.
Ibon came out.
"What was it about?"

"If seems that some Budokahang pursues this group of Pasubabo. What could it mean, I don't know. Though I know the lore well as a Xemfedem, this seems strange to me. We should take a seat in Alhoñilun, and divine what it means."
"You heard him! Let's pack and leave!"
"This man is hiding something." thought the toad. "I bet he is. I should inspect that, after I'll finally meet the dwarves."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:58:48 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:58 am »

And now, here comes the episode we all were waiting for...

Sun was slowly setting down, when Berath called: "Hey! I see another smoke!"

"Hey, and it is by the Imkegethonol." said Olmul. "That's our destination!"
"Hurry up then!" said Alak. "Who knows what's there, but we must secure the area."
They hurried up, and soon they saw what's under the mountain.

Simple tents were there, campfires, and many dwarves, too.
"Migrants?" whispered Ermis.
One of the dwarves, with a sun-burnt face and hair, in a noble red coat, turned to our settler party.

"Look! That's them! They're here!"
Everyone turned too.

"Welcome fellow dwarves." started Alak. "We're honoured that..."
"You're late."
"What?" asked Urnût.
"When we arrived, there should stand a fortress, or at least few tunnels with food and room."
Everyone turned at Olmul.
"What's up again? Everything went according to the plan. Don't worry, I'll calm those migrants."
"Dear migrants, we are very sorry, but there were troubles on the road. Goblins, carps, giants, discounts..."

"You!" someone shouted from back of the crowd. "You!"
A tall, tan-skinned tattooed dwarf came to the party.
He pointed at Vúsh.
"Oh dear. I hoped I would never see this guy again."
"It's all you fault!" shouted the dwarf.

"What's this about?" asked Alak. "I am the overseer and I could be of help."
"Because of her, our Meden perished!"
"What?" said Vúsh.

"When you left our Meden to join this expedition, people started leaving as well! Now it's only me and these few!"
"That's not happy indeed..." said Alak. "If you want, you can have your own community in the fort, later even a new tribe. You would be citizens, and we would mutually respect our laws. Isn't it a good deal?"
"You heard the Kezardurad?" said the dwarf. "Your offer suits us. We accept. And you'll come with us, Vúsh. And maybe I won't need to use Mothram."
"Okay then. I'll live with them guys." said Vúsh. "It's for the best."
"You must be surely a prominent man!" said Alak.
"I am Zegmatul, my name is Zeg Erlinmatul. Nice to meet you too." said the dwarf.

Then he left to tell Urnût something about his proud tribal heritage he refuses, or something like that. Alak meanwhile came to the dwarf in the red coat.
"Lolor, I couldn't recognise you at first! Your beard is darker than the one I remember... Old chap, so everything went good? By the way, you didn't pack an anvil, but we have one now."
"Glad you've recognised me. Really? I am sorry for anything that wasn't in supplies, but it was difficult to get at least this. Now that the Mountainhome is in danger, hard times for fortresses came."
"You were doing a manager, weren't you? Would you like to be one here?"
"I wouldn't mind. If you want to speak to someone worthy, speak with these guys." said Lolor and pointed to a group of dwarves.

There was one blonde dwarf in black coat, and three soldiers. Alak came to the one in the coat.
"Hello there! I heard you are some prominent people, so I would..."
"I'm just Urist." said the dwarf in the coat. "Ask this one."
"You look like seasoned warriors!" said Alak.
"We were beast hunters, but when we heard about new fortress, we've decided to settle. My name is Rikkir Baktuskugik, I am sort of leader of ours."
"Okay Rikkir, you shall be militia commander. I'm glad we have militia so early! You, Urist! Can you read and write well? You look like you can."
"I can."
"Then you shall be bookkeeper."

Then Alak came to his settler group.
"I think you now what you are going to do, Olmul is soapmaker, Urnût farmer, Kin woodcutter, Ermis is my personal cook. Vúsh and Berath, eh, I guess you will farm as well."

Then he stood on a stone, as he was going to speak to all the dwarves standing there.
"Dwarves! A new chapter of our history starts here! Our kingdoms are falling, but our fortress will prevail! Our fortress shall bear the name Kudarkalur! Strike the earth!!!"
Dwarves were joyful like homeland of a unicorn, they clapped and the tribesmen danced.
Zeg: "Dural! Dural! Ïssun! Êr! Im! Ïssundural Geshud Kudarkalur!!!"
"Great." Alak said. "Now I mandate one throne."
Two dwarves took the two picks and hit the earth. That day was truly a happy one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:58:09 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:19 am »

Urist wants to make a list of citizens for Alak and Lolor, but lots of dwarves remains unnamed! If you like some dwarves in the backround of last pictures, you can name them. You would really help me! Thanks!  :)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2019, 09:30:31 am »

And then Alak the Great became king of the whole continent.

He conquered deserts and desert dragons...

Swamps, bogs and dragons within them...

And forests and their dragons, and most importantly, hippies!

"Alak Zilirdural, hereby, for your great deeds, I proclaim you my rightful heir and new king. Long live to Alak!"
"Hey! Boss! Hey!"

"Wake up, boss!" called Ermis.
"What's up? Breakfast?"
"Precisely."

"I was just... daydreaming. It looks good! What's that?"
"Ah, that's beer in the rock-salt flavor cup, your favourite, a cave wheat Lamesfathkal and fruit we bought from tribesmen. Have a good meal!"
"Thanks! Man, where are the nobles again?"

Lolor, Urist and Rikkir came in.
"Finally! Any reports?"

"We spotted a rat, but our war beasts took care of it." said Rikkir.

"Because we have only one axe, we don't have much wood." said Urist. "But we have plenty of stone..."
"Surprisingly."
"Kin's working well. We'll sustain with him for the time being. Olmul built his soap workshop, he's got a jug of oil so he started doing soap immediately. Livestock is good, eggs, milk... Room is a problem, though, miners are working slowly and some citizens complain about barrels and same old booze, or something like that."
"Good. Lolor?"
"I don't have an office. But I am okay. They obey."
"Great. Is someone waiting outside for a meeting?"

The toad came in.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2019, 08:53:02 am »

The toad wanted to say something truly important, but Alak told it to wait.

"So..." said the toad. "Hey, speed up little bit, this is important!"
"And because it's important I want every citizen to be here!" said Alak.
When every dwarf was inside, toad started.

"Good. You can call me Luslemnod. I came to your fortress, or fancy cave at the moment, with an offer. I lead a secret meeting of those, who want to make the world better than it currently is. Seriously, it's bad. You have spoken with Limulsheget, and helped him against the goblin Âs... deities, if you call them so. Plunging them into war wasn't bad for Limul, but it was dangerous business. I don't know what consequences can be in our world. I want you to join our organisation. Help the world."
Silence.
"We should obey this Nod." said Zeg.

"Who are you, Luslemnod? Some kind of wizard?" Urist asked.
"You can imagine me like that. Creature with innate powers."

"Cool!" said Olmul. "I want to be a follower of a sorcerous toad!"
"What should we do, toad? How do you, and how should we help the world?" asked Lolor.
"I see your point there. Do you know who truly rules goblins, for example?"
"I know." Lolor said. "You want to eliminate those or what?"
"In the end, it will be inevitable. But that's not the main thing. You know, there is good a..."
"Oh noes, toad's just boring moral mentor!" sighed someone in the crowd.

"Shut up or I'll shut you up!!!" shouted the toad. "Just try to do that what more helps than hurts! Then, and only then, you can do something truly right. Don't succumb too much to wrath, pride, and other things that datken your mind. Hey, I don't really want to make a speech here, but I guess you got it, right?"
"We'll beat the bad guys up!" said Alak.
"You got it."

Some time later, the nobles were on a cliff with the toad, looking down on the dwarves.

"Do you see that, Lolor?" said Alak. "When I tell them to mine shafts, they're throwing parties, when they should haul this mess, they're going to sleep. Only when I mandate new mugs they start singing and doing something."
"I must insist, lord overseer." said Olmul, who came from the tunnel. "Look at this soap! Yesterday I was making these all the day long!"
"And today?" asked Alak.
"Today... I need to get something to eat." said Olmul And quickly ran back into the tunnel.

"By the way, Luslemnod..." said Alak to the toad. "Now that you gave us moral instructions, are you going to stay here with us? You know, if those powers of yours..."
"I'm afraid the answer is no." said the toad. "I would love to watch this comedy play a little bit longer, but I need to go. You know what's the problem with sane races?"
"They detest toads."
"That's true, but they're divided. Everyone is opposing the others. They're not united. That's part of our plan, unite them. Make them friends again."
"Friends with hippies, eh? Sounds bad."
"I know, everyone is imperfect. Justice isn't bad, but... It's not enough. Farewell, dwarves. Keep up with the good work."
"Good work?" asked Alak. He was confused. "Farewell to you, Luslemnod. May you succeed in your goals."

"Great. Dwarves don't seem so bad after all. Dorfy they are, but not bad." thought the toad. "Now I'll go and find the tribesmen. They're... Secretive."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:31:17 am by Quaksna »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudalkalur
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2019, 12:34:18 pm »

I am impressed by how readily the dwarves took a magic talking toad in stride.  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »

I am impressed by how readily the dwarves took a magic talking toad in stride.  :D
Yeah. But their overseer was in goblin "deity" realm and returned with a blazing sword, I think nothing's gonna excite them after that all.  :D
I enjoyed taking pictures of this part. I could place Alak on the bearded dragons back, and he wouldn't care. He reminds me of phlegmatic giant gobbo goose.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:47:51 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2019, 07:31:14 am »

"Well, you heard the toad. Work!" called Alak and he came down from the mountain, to see how dwarves are doing.

"That's all wood we have?" asked he angrily.
"Sir, it was processed into beds as soon it was chopped."

"Beds? But that's great! Haul the mine into the hall. And tell miners that they should speed up. We can make rooms now."

"Is farming going well?"
"Crops were planted, and are doing well." said Urnût. "Our livestock too. The bull's stalkin' Unnos, but I guess that's okay."
"What about plump helmets? We need to brew, that strange purple plant is nearly all in beer!"
"Plumps? We planted three of them."
"Three?!!"
"The rest was eaten by dwarves on break."
Alak turned red, red like his sword he was, but only for a moment.
"Okay. But we need hammerer. This can't be tolerated!"

"Lord. Ertatlosh. Here." said the tribesman.
"Wow! Nice!!!"

The tribesman took the most corpulent one.
"Yours. Lord."
"Thanks! Take it to Ermis, okay? She'll cook something good from it."

The tribesman left, Ermis came.
"What's up?"

"It's not breakfast, I fear. I am glad we have carps and eggs, the bad thing is now we are going to have them every day. Our supplies are already eaten. I didn't counted with so many hungry dwarves, so if we don't want to starve, we must quickly get some more food."
"I see. We can't wait for liaison in these conditions." said Alak.

He looked at the wagon.
"Olmul! Come here!" he called.
"Yeah?"

"You know the area well. Are there some hillocks near?"
Olmul was thinking. "The closest one is three days of travel on feet. Why?"
"You're going shopping."
Olmul froze for a moment, surprised. "Okay. Alone?"
"You'll have wagon. Take Berath with you. Razes and that grey ox can pull the wagon. But Razes will come safely back, do you understand?"
"Completely. What should I trade?"
"Take remaining gold, and your soap, we need food, plump helmets would be best. I entrust you pretty important mission, so don't fail."

"No need to fear, boss. Wait for one week and I'll be back. I know what I'm doin'."
"You don't. But you know the way. Good luck. By the way, Ermis! You know, for me these new dwarves are still passing acquaintances, have you learnt something about them?"
"Yeah, I brought some food to tribesmen. This fisherdwarf and that brown-haired are brothers. They work well with the livestock. That tribe woman can sew and weave well."
"Well, what I know, the brownish red-haired one is apparently farmer. The one with brown braided hair and beard likes working with stone, he's mining and he made table and throne for me. Good boys."
"They brought two geese, a chicken, ox and bull."
"You're talking like a bookkeeper, Urist should be telling me such things. Share these valuable informations with him!" said Alak and he laughed.

"Hey, Berath! We're goin' on a trip. Pack your stuff and we'll be off!"
"Wha..."
"I told you. We're leaving. To hillocks, we'll do some shopping."
"Okay?"
"And there'll be some bandits and ogres for sure!"
"Shut up, I'm coming."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:36:24 pm by Quaksna »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19