Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you even still reading this :P ?

Yes.
No, just passing by.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudarkalur  (Read 72003 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudarkalur
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:56 am »

"And to the south, if I remember correctly, is the Umomidteling, and further Togalarel lies. I never was there myself." said Olmul.
"Still, you're pretty well-traveled!" Berath said. "My adventurer career ended soon. Beasts were far to the west or innacesible from here. Then I asked that mayor: "And what about me?" And he said: "Probably traveling or deep underground, I can't be sure." I told him that he's in wrong mound, the drinking one is just next door, and he said it's pleasure to speak with me. Few more of these weirdnesses and I quit, going back home, Alak needed help there. I thought, he's a noble and he's my cousin, so I lived by him then. Hey, and you and Ermis? You seem.. related."

"She's my aunt. We used to sell soap and meals together."
"She seems to be mad at you from time to time."
"Oh yeah, we're teasing each other but we're friends. Hey, do you see that? Some green guys before us! Goblins?"
"Nah, too small for goblins. They've got... Tails?"

The green beings ran towards the wagon. They seemed curious.
"Some lizard-kin." said Olmul. "Greetings, friends!"
The lizards stared at the dwarves, bobbing their heads.
"I'll try it in goblin. Obu, Rosusm!"
The lizards didn't apparently understand. They were hissing some words to themselves, but not they, nor dwarves were able to understand each other.
"They're green iguanas, if I am not wrong."

"What are we going to do with these guys?" asked Berath. "Maybe we could bob our heads back."
"Hmmm... We don't know what that means, so better to be safe."
The iguana men seemed happy that they found dwarves. They were jumping and waving, and pointing their spear in one direction.
"They want to take us somewhere!" said Berath.
"Ahh, nothing to lose. Some iguanas can't harm us, can they? Let's follow them."

They came to some tall iguana man, with two strange animals next to him.
"What's that?" asked Berath.
"Never seen it before. Looks like some tailed frog with teeth and reptilian legs... What's that thing on its back?"
The tall iguana man looked happy too. He ran towards the wagon, and the frog-like beings followed him. It was funny to behold, these stout animals running on their short legs. The tall iguana man lifted his hand to the dwarves, who shook it.

"This one knows manners!" said Olmul. "Anyways, what do you want from us? If you wanna soap, that'll be..."
The iguana men pointed at Olmul weapons.
"Hey! I can't give you my tools of war! Or you wanna fight?!!"
The iguana men pointed first at Olmuls hand, then at the weapons. Olmul grabbed his sword and shield. Iguana men started joyfully hopping around.
"Huh?"
Berath took her spear, reaction of iguana men was same, they happily bobbed their heads. Then they pointed in their favourite pointing direction, they took dwarves by hands, and tried to pull them there.
"You want help in some fight?" asked Olmul.
"Seems so." said Berath.
"Okay, let's move where they want."

After a while, the iguana men tried to stop Razes and the ox, and were pointing at the ground.
"We should stop, if it is what they want." said Olmul, and they got off the wagon.
"Wait here, Razes, and fight for my soap if necessary!"
"Mooooo!"
Few steps later, iguana men stopped.
"So, where's our enemy?" asked Olmul.
The tall iguana man pointed with his spear.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:24:09 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:33 am »

"But... That's an ogre!!!" Berath whispered.
"Ogah!!! Ogah!!!" whispered iguana men.
"Strange enough, he could came here from Munsogsil, but that's few days from here!" said Olmul.
"Few days for us, but few steps for such an ogre." said Berath.
"Okay, iguanas. What's the plan?"

Iguana men charged with a warcry, their war-beasts hissing with fury.
"Got it. These fierce frogo guys, they're just awesome. Charge!"

Frogo 1 bites the Ogre in his lower right leg, tearing the muscle!
Ogre misses!

Ogre attacks Olmul but he jumps away!
"Yikes!"
Iguana man stabs Ogre in his left toe, tearing the muscle!
Iguana man stabs Ogre in his left lower leg, tearing the skin and bruising the muscle!
Ogre bashes iguana man in his upper body, bruising the skin!

Iguana man is propelled away by the blow!

Berath stabs Ogre in his right foot, tearing the muscle!
"This is useless, he's just too big!"
Frogo 2 bites Ogre in his left foot, tearing the muscle!
Ogre misses!
"Nah, we need to bring him down, then he'll be vulnerable! Just keep striking the legs!
Iguana man stabs Ogre in his right lower leg, bruising the muscle!
Ogre misses!
Ogre attacks Iguana man but he rolls away!
Olmul banged on his shield and pointed at right lower leg of the Ogre.
"There! Attack there!"

Iguana men got the plan, their leader hissed something towards frogos, who came to help to the right lower leg afterwards.
Ogre misses!
Ogre misses!
Olmul slashes Ogre in the right lower leg, tearing the muscle!
Berath stabs Ogre in the right lower leg, tearing the muscle!
Iguana man stabs Ogre in the right lower leg, bruising the muscle!
Frogo 2 bites Ogre in the right lower leg, tearing the muscle!
Iguana man stabs Ogre in the right lower leg, bruising the muscle!
Frogo 1 bites Ogre in the right lower leg, bruising the muscle!

The Ogre falls over.
Olmul and Berath swiftly climbed on his back, iguana men following them.
Then they slashed and stabbed, frogos have bitten like never before. Ogre was turning himself, trying to get up, and he made one last effort.

He grabbed Olmul and threw him away.
"Whoa! No no no nooo!!!" yelled Olmul.
"Mooooo!" could be heard from the wagon.
The Ogre was struck down

"They're breathing, but they fainted. We should... Ah, I forgot." said Berath. She picked up the iguana man, the others helped her. They loaded iguana man and Olmul on wagon, on pile of soap.

Iguana men then tried to push the wagon in one direction, so Berath rode that way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:50:53 am by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:22 am »

I think the poll result is clear, Ôvok the toad is the most favorite character!
Now the story continues, with another short, yet very important interlude...

"Keeeeaa! Keeeaaa!"
"Shut up, Ralsinsot! We don't need to be heard."
Lolor took of a ring from his pocket and sealed the scroll.

"Now it just need to be delivered." said Lolor to the kea. He then grabbed its upper body with right arm and hid it behind his coat.

Then he went out, to safe distance, with no dwarf around.
He handled the scroll to the bird who grabbed it with its claws. Lolor then whispered: "Ziril."

Kea flew away with the scroll.

"Good girl." said Lolor and went back to the fortress.
"Hey! Hey!"

Lolor turned. He saw a dwarf, lacking right lower arm, banded in bandages.
"Huh? You're migrant? A refugee? Are you alone?"
"I need to speak with your leader! It's urgent!"
"Okay, okay. Stop yelling. Everything will be fine."

Alak sent for his fellow noblesmen. They gathered at the council room.
"Welcome, dwarf! I am Alak Zilirdural, overseer of this fortress. Who are you?"
"My name is Otad Isanberdan. I am a veteran, I barely escaped alive. I was a member of Udirizden, squad within the Mountainhome. I was sent here to deliver a message."
"What kind of message?" asked Urist.
"The Mountainhome has fallen."
Silence.

"We'll, I guess we're the new Mountainhome now!" said Alak and wanted to end the meeting, but, of course, the rest wasn't so optimistic.
"When did it happen?" asked Lolor.
"I was sent here immediately when it was clear we lost. That could be... Week and few days."
"Goblins? There were lying siege there recently!"
"Goblins were there. But also some strange creatures, we have never seen before."

Now Alak became curious.
"What kind of creatures? I saw a lot of weird guys on way here." said Alak.
"I'll try to describe. The siege was truly terrible. We sealed the fort six times, but they've got some huge beast that was able to get through everything."

The Mountainhome
"*Cough* Filthy goblins..." said the old bleeding dwarf.
"Filthy you dwarves! Your realm will now fall apart. And we'll be those who rule these lands, and after that, all of the lands beyond!!!"
"Who *cough* who are you? You're not ordinary goblin."
"Puny mortal, you know nothing."
"Our kingdom is strong. You might have won today, but we won't fall. Never."
"Enough of your foolish words. End him."

The Dwarf Count 1 was struck down.
"Sir. This apparently wasn't the king."
"Shut up. But you're right. We must pursue the king. As long as he's alive, dwarves are strong. Too many refugees slipped out of our hands. Find him. End him."
"As you wish, sir."

"Sooo... Bogeymen you say?" asked Alak.
"Bogeymen vanish under roofs, everyone knows that!" said Urist.
"These haven't vanished, sadly." said Otad. "I think that by now, last defences must have been breached. Thanks to our underground tunnel many of us managed to escape. But some of the refugees were said to be pursued by the enemy while travelling."
"We must be prepared then that the enemy might lay siege on Kudarkalur, and migrants may come here in big numbers. Correct?" asked Alak.
Everyone nodded.
"Thanks for the message Otad."
"You said you're veteran, would you like to join us in the militia?" asked Rikkir.
"I would... Rather not. Along with my arm, I've lost my military prowess."
"He could help me in kitchen." said Ermis.
"Good idea!" said Alak. "Meeting is over! Back to our duties."

"Man, if Otad arrived just a while before, I could have updated the letter!" thought Lolor. "Phew, but what can I do. Hope it'll be delivered fast. Now with these circumstances..."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2019, 09:49:10 am »

Welp, there goes the neighborhood...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:13 am »

That's just the beginning. ;)
Here is some related art, first our heroic Kodolith, Udma Thremlurakbin:

Recently I entered the magical world of heraldry, now I love to create and decipher coat of arms. Here's the one belonging to Alak:

The crescent is especially fitting symbol for him. I would desribe this coat of arms for you, but I am not so experienced at blazon yet  :)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2019, 06:52:02 am »

Under the heat of the sun, some dwarves were marching. Where did they go? They didn't really care. They were happy they ended like this, and not worse.
"Man, this is annoying, unfocusing, terrifying." said the most armored one. "We, the great Udirizden, once famous and proud squad, now bunch of crippled, barefoot..."

"Hey, it's not that bad!" said the one with big axe. "The only one who's crippled is Gemesh, he's not barefoot and Otad is who knows where. So I must insist, captain!"
The one who knows these squads and groups would also know, that this captain must be lord Īlon Urirlînem himself. But you don't know that so I'm telling you.
"Neth..." said Īlon. "How can you say things like that! And all of you, are you just okay with that we lost our home, fortress... You're not like... Upset or something?"
"It was inevitable. Losing is fun." said Gemesh with a grin.
"You're bunch of madmen!" said Īlon. "Only Adur's okay."
"And me?" asked the marksdwarf.
"You're okay too, Alåth. Hey, so you're not a bunch after all, you're only two madmen. That's good to know." He got a good thought. "Wait. Where's the king?"

"This stone is beautifully arranged."
"Are you kidding me? You lost a king?!!"
"No..." said Neth. "He went with the other group."
"Phew... Wait. You lost the main group?!!"
"We? That's impossible! We've been just following you, captain!"
Īlon looked as he was going to throw tantrum. He was really mad, he wasn't so experienced in looking like he was going to throw a tantrum as Alak, with the hopping eyes and stuff, still, very dangerous to behold.
"Captain? Where are we going then?" asked Adur.
"Wait a moment. I need to CALM DOWN!!!!!"

"Have you calmed down, captain?" asked Gemesh.
"I remember Udirizden as a proud, powerful, and obedient squad! How we could let this happen, such weird dwarves infiltrating to our barracks!" shouted Īlon. Besides, you're cheeky for you're crippled and can fight no more, and because I am too kind to hit helpless!"
"Captain, you seriously insulted me. I can fight and I ain't helpless!"
"Nevermind. Where are we going? Well, if you are capable of something like losing the main group, we must plan where to go, for we don't have plan right now. It left with rest of refugees."
"We could go to Belbezstodir. It's closer than the other forts." said Alåth.
"We truly could, but it's way too close to goblin nations."
"What about Emenkegeth? That's a safe distance. I think it's where the royals escaped." said Adur.
"Better than Belbezstodir, but I fear that's too far away for our little group. But we would handle it, wouldn't we?"
"Then there's the fort Alak Zilirdural went to found. That's a lot closer, but I don't think it is a good option, it's too young fortress." said Neth.
"Finally you said something clever. Alak's good man, but we can't count on him now. So... I think we'll try to get to Emenkegeth. I know there are some hillocks between us and the fortress, so we could make it."

"We are Udirizden, we are strong, and we'll preserve!!!"

Meanwhile, at the forest of A˙evamame...

"I have to say something to thee, life is, in a word, a tree."
"I completely agree."

"Hey, fellow watchmen! What do you see?"
"Nothing at all, watching the woods tall but there's nothing to be seen, not dwarf, nor goblin, only trees and plants of green."

"Hey, you... Hip... Eh... Elves!"
"What's that? It's a toad? Finally something to behold."
"Are you bored on the watch you started composing poems?"
"Not really, tree-toad, we're keen, our eyes too, but toads don't climb trees, so what's up with you?"
"What have you been smoking? Anyway, I need to speak with a druid. Is there some druid near?"
"Druid truly dwells near, we can take you to him, for toads clumsy are, don't fall from the rim."

"Hah, really funny." thought the toad. "If those will ever join us, we'll prohibit narcotics. This can't be tolerated!"

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2019, 01:27:25 pm »

With heavy heart I must tell you, that my stocks of green and brown color are nearly depleted, inspiration hasn't come for few last days, but what's worst of this all, I've lost Tarmid! I fear it's gone forever. Only sweet memories remained...
Under these circumstances, I am forced to use my last weapon, and that's, user interactive fights! Hope you're prepared...  ;)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:48 pm »

Ahh, don't burn out Quaksna! You've been updating like a madman; it's OK to rest and resupply!

That said, I look forward to the upcoming carnage with glee and trepidation both. All luck to you.  :D

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2019, 10:11:51 am »

"Phew. Is it over?"

"Anybody here?"

"I'm here."
"Oh, it's you. Where are the others?"
"Well, I took advantage of the chaos and threw Ongnguutgub out, you've struggled with Zomus and you're here, so Zomus is elsewhere, and Ngoruboxox... Hey I don't really know, I'm glad I'm standing here."

"Hope Aspdosusmat remained here too, he's especially dangerous for mortals."
"What are we going to do now?"
"I would personally cleaned this mess, then we should check how it looks like in other realms."
"Sounds like a plan."

"Hope I'm not interrupting, gentlemen!"
"Oh snap." said Oströtakåtôz. "Here we go again."

"You! You're responsible for this!" shouted Uxzoustug. "Aslezslagka! Attack!"
"Strange, I don't see any Aslezslagka here! Last time I was on visit there was a lot more colorful goblins..."
"Now isn't a good time for jokes!"
"Still, if we want to bring balance back at least a little bit, we need him."
"Oströtakåtôz speaks wise words. You don't want to fight me now, do you?"
"Alright, alright!" shouted Uxzoustug. "Take a seat."

"Finally you younglings got a brain. Not really big one, but everything counts. Now you threw Zomus out? You know, it's very interesting by mortals when he's there! I think we should intervene as soon as possible, for sake of the world. And our honor."
"Okay, Ongongera. But what exactly should we do? I can't unleash army of Aslezslagka, that wouldn't work, it would only make this chaos even bigger." said Uxzoustug.
"But we must do something, he won't be weak forever!"
"Why you hadn't fought him there?"
"Guys, the emo guy's gone, no need to fight again." said Oströtakåtôz. "Really, let's clean the mess, sit down... Okay?"
"Okay. But listen, Ongongera, we're not friends. This is only because it's emergency. You're not part of the Alsmustspås."
"Understood. You're still jerks, but it's emergency. It's pretty boring idea, but..."
"Yeah. Way too boring!" said Oströtakåtôz, and what came next, the others couldn't see coming.

He lifted his arms towards Uxzoustug, said an incantation, and then it went BOOM!!! Then they could see shine of his blazing armor falling from the edge, and hear goblin curses.

Limulsheget stood there with a mouth open, staring like a cacatonic dwarf.
"Man, Oströtakåtôz, you're a jerk, but this was awesome!" he said and laughed. "Great, now without the fiery guy we're the true bosses, right?"
"No."

Whoosh!!!
"Oströtakåtôz!!! I'll turn you into a..." shouted Limul as he was falling down, too.

"Not really. I am the only and true boss here. I... Am the Alsmustspås."
The bird screeched.
"Oh shut up, Többogosma! Or I'll call plague on you!!!"

"Great. Just great! I'm stuck here in some dumb cavern with this glittering gilded..."
"Golden. Not gilded, but golden. Encrusted with golden scales, to be precise. Where were we? Ahh... Hey! You think I'm okay with this? I thought Oströtakåtôz got a brain, but he lost it just as fast!"
"I agree on that. C'mon, what are we going to do now? He blasted off the last few of power I had after the battle, I'm exhausted!"
"You're telling me! It was pretty difficult to get to Alsmustspås, and for what?!!"

"Hey, calm down. I am more the less head of the pantheon, am I not? If we find some goblins, we might get the help we need till we get enough of power again."
"That's good idea, but we must be faster than Zomus. Who knows how much he managed to strengthen his position here. What about my friends dwarves?"
"Nah, that's not a good idea. This is not their war. Let's go to goblins first."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 03:47:26 pm by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2019, 09:02:28 am »

"Behold now, o the toad, for this is our druid!"
"Thanks. Greetings, o druid. You can call me Cuquimoimadu. I came with a plea for a little assistance."
"Greetings to you, Cuquimoimadu. I am Ebeca Alenewo. Life is, in a word, tree. What do you need from us?"
"I need help with one particular spell that could speed me up on my journey to unite nations. By the way, would you like to join us? We help the world and organize interesting events and..."
"No. I would, rather not."

The toad noticed the same thing in eyes of the druid that Duto had in his. But Duto seemed doubtful and surprised, this druid seemed confident and determined.
"Why's that? You haven't heard everything yet."
Druid was silent.
"You detest toads or what? Is that some cultural problem?"
"I won't tell you." said Ebeca.
"Men of mystery, ain't you all? And what about that spell?" asked the toad.
"Where do you want to go?"
"I can't tell you." said the toad with a grin.

"You're hiding something." druid said.
"Oh c'mon, you're hiding something! You detest toads! Why?"
"So you must have spoken with another one of ours... Are you stalking someone?"
"Hey, listen. I don't have bad intentions. I just need..."
"Everyone says that. But now really... Who are you?"
"I shouldn't have come here. If you're not willing to help... Why do you detest toads?"
"You're too curious for one little toad." said Ebeca.
"Now it's just enough!" shouted the toad. "Do you know what I think?"

"You know, it seems like the toad wants a fight, we should help our druid, who knows the toad's might."

Three elven watchmen came from behind.
"This toad has nothing to do here. It cooperates with tree-murderers... Cast it out from our tree."
"As you wish, elves. I don't favor violence, but if you want it so much... Hmmm... How could I pacificate bunch of angry elves?"

How to pacificate bunch of angry elves? That's, again, up to you!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:40:08 am by Quaksna »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2019, 09:34:44 am »

Quote from: Quaksna
"Life is, in a word, tree".
Truly, the depth of elfin philosophy knows no bounds.

------------------

Oh dear. Our little toad's in over his head. I'd suggest he simply get out of there, but if he insists on making this a proper fight...

Jump down the back of an elf's shirt.

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2019, 08:28:04 am »

"Elves are all around us. This doesn't scare me." said the toad. "Oh c'mon, they don't have usable shirt. This one has armor, though, if it can be called so!"
The toad looses a roaring croak!

"Where is it? It disappeared!"
"Ack, it's stuck in my armor! Take it off! Ouch! It bites! Take it off!" yelled the spearman.
"It's a wizard!" said the javelin thrower.
"It is terryfing." said the fencer.

The elves tried to shake the spearman, hoping that the toad will fall off. The druid raised his staff and started muttering something. Another elves were coming.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:35:59 am by Quaksna »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2019, 11:20:06 am »

Awright!

Quick, jump down the back of another elf's neck while they're shaking the first one!

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:38 am »

And you! Aren't you ashamed, bay watchers, that you need Superdorf to do your chores?  ;D I know, I update like a madman. Because +Papercrafts+ intensifies. Anyway, here we go!

The toad hopped down, elves, confused, were still shaking the spearman.
"Hah! My sneaking has improved, that was very satisfying!"

The toad looses a mighty, roaring croak!

The toad transforms into a... toad. But it started to shine and dazzle, and it conjured itself a pair of swift wings.
"Let's fly to freedom! No elves will stop me!"

Crash.
"Oh c'mon, what's with the wings again!"

The druid was still muttering something.
"I see it now, he tries to disrupt my innate toad powers! But he stand no chance against..."
An arrow flew next to the toad, thanks to small size of toads, it missed.

"More elves are coming! What now? Shall I stay or shall I go? Shall I fight with honor, or escape these mad green-cloaks?"

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2019, 08:55:02 am »

In situations where I'm outnumbered, I'm recall the old maxim: "Discretion is the better part of valour." Meaning our favorite toad needs to continue his mission of unity, not get potentially get skewered by intolerant hippies.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19