Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you even still reading this :P ?

Yes.
No, just passing by.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudarkalur  (Read 72547 times)

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress +Papercrafts+ : Tales of Kudarkalur
« Reply #225 on: September 06, 2019, 01:19:58 pm »

"We don't want your money. We want something more." said Len.
"I'm your lifelong slave!" yelled the bandit.
"Really?" asked Olmul, with pleasant glance.
"Keep your filthy lucre!" said Berath. "We won't kill you. But you must promise us you'll never ever rob and you'll never ever bedevil respectable people again!"
"I listen and I obey!" said the bandit, bowing to the ground. "What's lucre, anyway?"
"Hey, I want a lifelong servant!" said Olmul.
"You can't trust this guy. Even if he lacks one arm." said Len.

"At least their greaves!" insisted Olmul. "We could make good use of it!"
"Okay, okay! Take it, if you want so much." retorted Len. "Come on, we have still long way ahead!'

"Wait! I must equip it first!"
"Let's..."
"Hey, and what about the breastplate?"
"Waagh!!!"

"How's the arm?" asked Olmul.
"Gettin' better." answered Berath. "What about yours?"
"Still numb. Phew, this reminds me of my past adventures..."
"What were you doing back then?" asked Len.

"When goblins kidnapped me, they carried me with other children to their desert domain. First few years I was serving the taskmasters at their homes. When I grew up, I, my arms and beard, the goblins saw it and sent me to sandstone quarry. We immediately sticked to some big dwarven boys... There weren't many spots with stones in Stothoaslud... The desert, you know."

"How many years were you enslaved?"

"Erm... Six, seven? We rebelled at least four times, it was hard to steal gear, I'm glad I survived till the successful try. Near the quarry, there was a statue of a knight, big, brawny goblin, with fire under his feet. The goblin slaves told me he's gonna free us one day. Interesting stories they had..."

"Once, I managed to sneak into a pub, there was some goblin in pock-marked coat, he got into argument and put a spell on his opponent. He turned pale and started sweating and coughing, guards sent beak dogs against the mage."

"You saw wizards?" asked Berath. "You never told me."
"Not many. I believe they were persecuted. We all had to bow before some kind of idol, they called it Akudul. I hated it. They knocked down all the knight and wizard statues later, we called the event Dasnurodan. But back to the story."

"Fourth try, I broke free. We were three, I, one-eyed Tad and Dozo. I was called Ustaber back then, for goblins never caught and punished me. They punished hard, cut out tongues and worse. We had one rule, don't get caught. And we didn't get caught that uprising. We wandered the desert, trying to escape from goblin domain..."
"Ustaber Angsikel... Wow. Your story is like travels of Rane..." said Len. "He isn't bragging, though..."
"I'm not bragging! I'm telling a story, entertaining you! Goblins never fed us, we tried to describe them hunger, for nothing. We had to get food and water ourselves. There wasn't many taskmasters aware of dwarven needs... In the desert, we had to eat every animal or plant we spotted in order to survive. Once, a giant gila has shown up. It has bitted off Dozo's leg, and injected it's venom to his body, crippling him. Poor guy, he died in next sandstorm, falling into pit, we couldn't bury him. That was last drop for Tad, who started throwing tantrums."
Olmul uncovered his chest. There was a scar, not very deep one, still visible, going from his right shoulder to left knee.
"Ouch." said Berath.

"Ouch indeed. Fortunately he wasn't very aware of what he was doing, and he forgot he was trying to kill me, so I ran away, still a pity, once such a good friend... I never saw him again. Don't remember what came next."

"One goblin guy found me in the desert, and took me to his hideout. He told me later I was behaving like wild animal. I served him and his friends, that's where I learned how to make soap. This one was hunting and butchering animals. He always gave me meat and fat, and kept all bones. Weird guy he was."

"Once, he asked me: "Don't you want to be deathless?" And I was like: "Hey no, I wanna die." Still bad thoughts from the desert. Then the guy banished me again to desert, but this time, I managed to get out myself. Then I headed towards my homeland."

"Your life sounds pretty much like fairy tale to me!" laughed Len.
"Well, your lives sound like fairy tales to me. I had to rob, mug, steal, kidnap to achieve something in the goblin society. You were on your farms, eatin' your crops, happily ever after. How glad I was when I found Ermis, I could go on travels again, for adventure and trade this time. Yeah... It was lots of work, adapt to dwarven culture again... But here I am. You know, times will come, when you'll just want to end everything. All the suffering... But life... Life is worthwhile, and it always shall be."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:13:35 pm by Quaksna »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2019, 04:04:20 am »

"Alak! Belbezstodir answered!" shouted Lolor, as he swiftly ran towards the overseer.
Alak turned, with eager expression in his face. The toad was nearby, it hopped close to both dwarves.

"What do they say?" he asked.
Lolor gave him the letter, it was still sealed.
Alak broke the seal and read. His eyes were moving rapidly, after few lines they turned red and started hopping. As he finished, he threw the parchment onto ground.
"Outrageous! How dare they!" he yelled.

Lolor frowned, picked up the letter and read it too.
"That's bad." he said slowly.
"Bad? Bad?!!" shouted Alak. "Outrageous! They laugh at us! Dimwits! Dimwits and cowards! They laughed at me when I planned building fortress in Imkegethonol, and now, when I need help and the whole realm is in peril, they're making fun of it as well?!! Stupid count!"
"That's what people do..." said the toad. "Sad it is."
"We can hope Emenkegeth will be more... Apprehensive." said Lolor.

"We can't rely on this!" said Alak. "It's hopeless! I can tell them over and over, we have a magical toad, it's gonna be alright, but some outcome, please? Dorf, this world..."
"That's why we must clean it up before it gets polluted even more!" said the toad. "But I agree, if kingdom's attitude is like this, it's hopeless to get help there! So we must turn elsewhere!"
Both dwarves turned and asked simultaneously: "Where?"
The toad was thinking, trying to scratch it's head with its toady feet.
"We don't have army! We don't have power! We..." cried Alak.
Kin, who was just hanging around, turned and walked towards his leaders.

"You don't have army..." he said. "Not even much beer. But you have us. Point in direction of our enemies, and I'll chop them! A lot."

"Yeah!" said Zeg, who came up, just passing through, now he stopped. "We're not afraid."
"I am not doubtful about that..." said Alak. "But..."
"Bring the cave dwarf here!" ordered the toad. "I should interrogate him."

Zeg went. It took a while, to fetch him and pull outside, he vomited twice in the upmost hallway. But, just afterwards, he was standing in front of councilmen, listening.

"You told me there are networks of little civilizations in caverns. Oh, I should convince the Wõrv one to help us, there we go. Heh. But back to you. Are you numerous?"
"We have like, eh... Four, five tribal groups, some crafty secretive individuals..." said Id.
"Great. Are they able to unite under banner of Kudarkalur?"
"They are struggling for own survival, so, yeah, they would be glad to belong somwehere."

"Fine." said the toad, and started crawling inside. Near Lolor, it stopped and whispered: "I need to talk with you privately."
Id, apparently eavesdropping, whispered: "Me too!"
Toad frowned and looked at him, it waggled at him with finger, and the three entered the fortress, heading to managing quarters.

"Oh, you've got colleagues 'ere! Very well. Miner, you stay outside... For now." ordered the toad.
As soon as Id was gone, the toad hopped on table and started.

"So, tell me... What was that about?!! I thought you'll just blow up a downward passage leading to magma sea, not blow up two cavern layers!"
"Yeah!" said Keshan. "Dear Sįkrith, brilliant plan!"
"Calm down!" said Lolor. "It wasn't my fault! The powder... Malfunctioned!"
"My powder malfunctioning?!!" growled Ziril. "That's a joke! I'm high master alchemist!"
"Anyways, you wanted to have that passage, Luslemnod. And I'm curious, why?"
The toad jerked. It thought it's asking questions there.

"You know... There's adamantine! And adamantine, as we know, is cool! How do you call it, caddy?"
"All you wanted is adamantine?!!" yelled Lolor. "Are you aware of..."
The toad nodded, Lolor stopped yelling.
"We must mine it safely. It's slow and stuff, but breaching the gate is not worth it."
"I hope so." said Keshan. "We can protect dwarvenkind against perils of caverns, but not armies of underworld!"
"Wasn't that why you disposed that king once?"
They all three nodded.

"Don't worry. Though the cave-ins and earthquakes weren't planned, we achieved what we wanted to. I think your order could help greatly in warding off the darkness, don't you think?"
"Everything that threatens dwarvenkind is to be stopped!" said Ziril.
"What about that Āsem you're lookin' up to... Eh, you know, Kādol. Can you... Contact him somehow?"
The three Kādolites scratched their dense dwarven beards.
"We could perform a spell at the magma sea." said Ziril.
"We need the scrolls for tha..." started Keshan, but Ziril has shown him parchments under his cloak, so he shut up.
"I don't know your... Eh... Pantheon well. Do you think dwarven Ās... "deities" would be helpful?"
"Kādol definitely." said Lolor. "The rest... I don't know, they're constantly mad at each other."
"I was afraid of that. See? It would be no problem if everyone was willing to help... That's the power of virtue and unity. Well, I guess I'll leave you now, and move for the Wõrv thing. Goodbye."
The three dwarves waved simultaneously. When the toad hopped away, Id came in.

"So, Id. What's on your heart?" asked Lolor.
"I wanna be wizard just like you!" he said with wide smile. "Will you teach me? Please!"
The three looked at themselves and chuckled.
"That's not so simple... It takes many years to master... How old are you?"
Id scratched his head, then counted on his fingers, muttering something, then he shrugged.
"I was afraid of that..." sighed Lolor. "But you're trustable, we could take you in our order."
Id leaped and clapped his hands, he was really enthusiastic about wizardry.

"You may die before you'll get experienced enough to be a sorcerer, but still, you'll be big help for us. Marker!"
Ziril searched his cloak from inside, and took out small pouch, Keshan drew a small knife.
"Raise your arm! No, the one you're using, the right one! Good."
Id raised his right arm. Keshan shaved his armpit, then each of the three dipped their fingers in the pouch and came to Id one after one, muttering something in ancient dwarven dialect, and drawing him some kind of mark on the shaved armpit.
Then they approached him for the second time, and each of them burned their part of mark with a little thin firejet.

"You'll have to pick a order name." said Ziril.
"That's right. How should we name you?" asked Lolor.
Id thought, but he couldn't come up with a nice, fire-themed name, so the three helped him a bit.
"You'll be... Sarvesh."
Id nodded, smiling, his eyes flickered.

"Okay. Welcome, Sarvesh, in the order of Kādolites."
"Now that you're in our order, there are obligations coming with it." said Lolor. "You shall call your new brothers and sisters their order names, and us three, you'll address as "Kōn" <order-name-placeholder>."
"Fine..." said Id, wiping a little tear from his eye. "What's your order name?"
"From now on, I'm Kōn Sįkrith to you."
"As you wish, Kōn. How long it takes to become a Kōn?"
The three laughed.

"Now listen." said Lolor. "Great Kādol gave us the power of flame in order to protect the dwarvenkind. It's noble task, and we're not to misuse our power nor social position!"
Id, now Sarvesh, nodded.
"The order matters are just for the order only. You may use your order name outside, but no secrets of ours shall be known for them! That you're Kādolite hasn't to be secret, but you're not to brag and show it, unless needed. Understood?"
"Understood. What now?" he asked.
"Your first assignment is to come with us down, to the magma sea. There..."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2019, 06:51:13 am »

Hm. I get the sneaking suspicion that Obok has other reasons to be seeking out adamantine... now what would a magic toad want with the blue metal?

Oh. Wait. What if Obok wants to have words with the underworld?  :o
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2019, 08:25:18 am »

Hm. I get the sneaking suspicion that Obok has other reasons to be seeking out adamantine... now what would a magic toad want with the blue metal?

Oh. Wait. What if Obok wants to have words with the underworld?  :o

Sneaking suspicons are everywhere... But yeah, everyone's keeping secrets as well. Guess we'll have to trust the little guy for now.

As you could see, in terms of drawing, I was very productive yesterday.
Since all sketches don't belong in the "Olmul's past" section, here you have the rest.

Two new friends, who enjoy nudging each other, and Kōn Sįkrith.

Whatever wants Ōvok to do with adamantine, let's turn our attention elsewhere. Someone's apparently having big plans as well...

Tommorow's gonna be wild...
You don't want to miss it...

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2019, 07:21:23 am »

"Wįlim?"
"What's up, wizard?" asked the Tādi.
"You're full time guardian?"
"More or less... I don't see family often but as you could see, for a good reason. Man, I was just while before chatting with that druid, I would never see this coming..."
"Come here!" called powerful voice from the mountaintop. "I see him, it's Zärseīl, I can see him!"
The two immediately ran up.

"He's coming to the valley, with another Āsem!" said the Exalted one, with a smile, they hadn't seen him smiling for long, long time.
"That's wonderful! How far are they?" asked Cilko.
"Soon they'll cross dwarven villages, but... Wait. What is this?"

They heard flapping of wings. Exalted one knew he hasn't any bird of this size.
"Something another is coming towards us!" said Wįlim, striking defensive pose.
Soon, it landed.

"What on earthly realms is that?" asked Wįlim.
The being opened its wings.

"Finally I found you..." it hissed.
"How could it find us?" asked Cilko.
Exalted one frowned and turned to Ebeca's corpse.

"You see what you done?!! For a moment he broke my concentration enough for the ward to come off!"

The being drew two large wavy blades.
"I didn't come to lisssten to your chatsss... I came for your treasssuresss!"
The three stroke menacing poses.

With speed of lightning, the being charged them, bashing Cilko and Wįlim with it's wings, propelling them away.
Exalted one gazed upon his foe, his eyes glowed, but nothing happened.

"Curse you, mage hunters! How is it you still exist?!!"
"How'sss it you're ssstill alive?" hissed the Golden Queen.
Exalted one saw he must fight the mundane way.

Exalted one misses!
Golden Queen misses!

Golden Queen tries to slash the Exalted one but he jumps away!
Exalted one tries to stab the Golden Queen but she flies away!

Wįlim, who wasn't completely knocked out, stood up and charged the Queen.
She opened her eyes wide, green spirals were spinning round in them.

Wįlim closed eyes and collapsed, like unsupported cavern floor.
Golden Queen slashes but the strike is parried with adamantine spear!

But Exalted one lost hold of it, it flew away from his hand.
Golden Queen slashes the Exalted one in the upper body, tearing the skin and tearing the muscle!
An artery has been torn!

But right before her eyes, the skin immediately sealed again, like if there never was any wound.
"What'sss..."
Exalted one muttered a spell, the spear lifted and leaped back to his hand.

Exalted one slashes the Golden Queen in the right wing joint and the severed part sails in the arc!

As the blade of the spear touched the flesh of the Golden Queen, the stub that remained in the place of wing was immediately covered with blisters and disgusting mould.

Exalted one tries to stab the Golden Queen but the strike is parried with pale metal blade!
Golden Queen tries to slash the Exalted one, but the strike is parried with adamantine spear.
They both were gasping, the Queen was hissing angrily, and tried over and over to hit him.

Exalted one stabs the Golden Queen in the left hand, piercing it!
Golden Queen loses hold of pale metal blade!

Golden Queen snatched with the now empty hand on the spear and held it tightly.

Golden Queen slashes the Exalted one in the right hand and the severed part sails in the arc!
As the spear was loose, she threw it with the severed hand away.
Exalted one kicks the Golden Queen in the right eye, mangling it beyond recognition!

The Queen pushed her large, heavy body on the Exalted one, squeezing him.
"Die."

Golden Queen slashes the Exalted one in the neck and the severed part sails in the arc!
The Exalted one was struck down.
The Queen was bleeding, lacking one wing and eye, panting intensely. But she won.
"Finally. Your treasssuresss ssshall be mine... You took the power of flight from me, but it wasss worth it..."

She picked up the jewel from his head, and inspected closely and carefully symbols, inscribed on the gold.
"Yeah, thisss could come handy... Now the ssspear..."

She crawled towards it, grabbed it and inspected with pleasure.

"Finally... I can barely believe thisss..."

"What? What isss meaning of thisss?"
Cilko chuckled.

"Where isss the true ssspear?" shouted Golden Queen. Then she looked around and saw that Wįlim is gone.
"I don't know who you are, but the spear is beyond your reach now..." said Cilko. "I don't know where he'll take it. I gave hi..."

Cilko was struck down.
"If it'sss ssso, you're ussselessssss to me." she hissed, as she pulled her blade from body of the old wizard.

"But that doesssn't matter, I have ressst of his treasssuresss! Let'sss find the booksss firssst..."

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2019, 05:52:26 am »

"Look, mountain ridge!" said Ļlon happily. "Udirizden, we made it! Emenkegeth within reach!"
"Woohoo!" shouted Neth. "Gemesh, boy, if you could see us!"
"He may, why not?" said Ongngnuutgub. "Great. I supplied you with beverage, and now..."
"No need to part ways, friend!" laughed the captain. "You're our friend, and ally of the Mountainhome! Let's go for a feast, I am inviting you."
"Well..."
"Look, I insist. You helped us. Now let's celebrate we made it all the way, shall we?"
"Yeah, feast would do! Come, Ongy..." said Neth. "It'll be fun... I mean, you'll enjoy it!!
"Fine, if you insist. It's for the best." said Ongnguutgub.

Refugees and locals weren't very surprised by their arrival. Everyone was seeking shelter in the fortress, renowned soldiers and peasants alike. If Ļlon hadn't Udirizden crest on shield, they wouldn't even recognize them, they looked like band of poor noble outlaws. Udma has drawn some attention, but everyone was open-mouthed when they saw Ongnguutgub.

There was a warrior, missing pieces of armor, just like them, scarred, he looked very bold and he was smiling, even in hard times like this. Ļlon spotted him, and went towards him.
"Stukos!" he called. The warrior turned at them.

"Good ol' Ļlon!" said Stukos. "And your men! And some... Other guys?"
"This is Udma, lone wanderer, and this is Ongnguutgub, some wizard guy. He can make good wine, you know..."

"Weren't there at least fifteen of you back at the Mountainhome?"
"Oh yes, we lost a lot. But life's going on! We're gonna hold a feast, you going with us?"
"Why not?" chuckled Stukos. "We can call the king and have a word with him as well."
"The king is here?!!" asked Ļlon, widening his eyes.
"See, captain?" said Neth. "We didn't lose him at all. He was chillin' at Emenkegeth the whole time!"
"Not really." said Stukos. "He arrived just few days ago. Anyways, he's here, safe and alive."
"I was a king..." whispered Ongnguutgub. "Beautiful king. Now I'm just beautiful..."

The party entered a tavern in the mountain fortress. The king was already there, they all bowed, expect Ongngnuutgub.

"Dwarvenkind, hail! Long live the king!" called Udirizden simultaneously.
"Cheers." said Ongngnuutgub, raising his arm.
"Ah, my friend Ļlon." said the king, pleased. "Welcome to Emenkegeth. You'll have to tell me everything you saw, fine? But now, bring the food!"
Servants brought few big wheels of cheese, some griddlecakes and stews.

The king came to Ongngnuutgub, puzzled.
"What is this... Glittering goblin doing here?"
"He's a friend." explained Ļlon. "Ongnuh... Ognung... Onnogu..."
"Ongnguutgub, Snukoukkar, the Zutulxor." said Ongnguutgub.
"Ah. I guess that's okay? Fine. Take a seat."

Udma wasn't sure how dwarven etiquette looks like, so he didn't sit down.
Dwarven steward asked him: "Who are you, warrior?"

"He doesn't speak." said Neth. "Come, Udma. Nobles sit there, folk here."
Udma sat down to Stukos and rest of the squad.

Ongnguutgub quickly took a place near the king, but no one objected, for his flickering was so dazzling, it was no doubt he's very important person.
"Is he going to... Eat, when he's goblin?" asked the king.
"That's right, I don't need to. But give me your best shot and I'll be pleased."
King laughed dwarvenly, he beckoned the steward, who left to the kitchen.
"So Ļlon... How did your journey look like?"

"We were pursued by night creatures. Werebeasts, trolls, bogeymen, some cursed goblins, too."
"They're called night heralds, lad..." said Ongngnuutgub. "I don't like them. They seller their goblin beauty..."
"You now more about our enemies? We were pursued as well, speak, sir Zutulxor!" said the king.
"It's an old spell designed to older races, but Zomus, their leader, ya know, adjusted it to goblins. They can make a pact with a Anutormuk, it'll grant them some powers in cost for something else... That's pretty much it."
"We fought them. The skilled ones are pain in the neck, but we managed to beat them... We lost one dwarf there..." said Ļlon.
"We were ambushed many times!" said the king. "Lucky we that we made it. This... Zomus must be really, really powerful..."
"Zutulxor is something like him, I mean, by nature."
"Is it so?"
Ongngnuutgub nodded.
"Yeah, Töbogxubngesp, that's right."

"So you could defeat him with ease?"
"Nope. Definitely not with ease. I could spell clash him, and, if lucky, banish him for good. But... That's not your problem. He hasn't that big army. Those goblins that sieged your capital, the ones that repelled he most likely killed and those who joined him turned to night beings. The bigger problem is, he has lots of power sources to drain from in this realm. Just look around, under right conditions bogeymen show up out of nowhere, night trolls and werebeasts, more numerous than enough... This realm's tainted, and that suits him!"
"You want to tell me he can control any night creature?" asked the king, frightened a little bit.
"Control? No. Bind? Yeah, any. He's Anutormuk, after all!"
"What can you bind?" asked Ļlon.
"Do you have any beauty-aligned creatures 'ere?"
"Maybe unicorns..." started king.
"Oh no, I'm not the war-type. I can fight, but I'm not suited for it so much. You would need Uxzoustug, yeah, that guy could wipe floor with Zomus! Wonder where's he now..."

Steward sailed in the chamber, with a scroll in his hand.
"A letter... Letter from Kudarkalur!"
Everyone stood up.
Steward gave the parchment to the king. He briefly looked at the seal.
"Truly... I thought Alak was joking! Let's see what's we have here..."
He read and read, then he took all the nobles aside, they went to private chamber.

"He wants to get the Mountainhome back, here he wrote: "The plan is set, we would appreciate any supplies, troops, materials you could provide..."
"Alak." said Ļlon. "Has a plan?"
"Gimme!" said Ongngnuutgub.

Steward has shown him the letter.
"Let's see..."
The goblin was humming, the dwarves were waiting, worrying about Alak's sanity.
"Don't know how you see it, but hey, he's got a point."
"What?!!" shouted the king.

"This could work, I would back this definitely..."
"Alak hasn't any war experiences. He can't just ask for an army from his superior!" said Ļlon.
"And what are you dwarves going to do? Hold to the last moment, then let the kingdom die? Why do you think he's asking for help in the first place?" said Ongngnuutgub. "I admit, I would have better plan, but I like their plan more than remaining 'ere with growling booze-gobbling pygmyes!"

"How dare you!" said the king, and wanted to hit him, but Ongnguutgub vanished, reappearing behind him.

"They know how to fight supernatural stuff. You don't. Sorry, Ļlon, I'm off to this Kudarkalur. Right now!"
He left, didn't forget to slam the door.

"Well, that's good point, on the other hand..." said Ļlon. "We didn't wage war with night powers before..."
"So Alak has bunch of wizards, okay!" said the king. "Still doesn't make him the boss."
"Of course not. But maybe we should get some wizard help too. If we're not willing to send him some help..."
"What does he expect, some materials, supplies, soldiers? I can give him a few, but few won't pass through in these hard times! And sending plenty, well secured caravan? That would be madness in this situation!"
"I don't agree with everything, but we're always under the king's banner. Udirizden at your bidding."
"Good. You'll stay in Emenkegeth, we need every capable soldier here. They're trying to assassinate me, maybe they'll come to siege this fortress..."

"What about... Wizards? And couldn't we ask unearthly guardians of dwarvenkind for help?"
The king gave him sarcastic glance.
"You think they'll come? And here in the kingdom, what wizards do we have? Kādolites are scattered, in hiding, and if I'll try to get help from them the people will be displeased! What about that tribesman?"
"I don't really know. He doesn't speak, so we don't know anything about him..."

"I'll contact local count and consult with him, too..."
"What about the other royalty?"
"What remained from royal family is here, safe I hope. Sister and everyone."
He looked at paintings on the wall above door.

"My first brother died, my second brother died... I won't. I'll get our kingdom out of this!"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2019, 07:49:15 am »

It's fun to see how you turn simple objects into backgrounds. That's, what... a chessboard and a coaster? But here they become a mighty throne-hall and its secretive inner sanctum!

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2019, 03:49:52 am »

"Kizbiz? Are you there?" asked Lolor, knocking.
"Enter..." she said slowly.
Lolor opened the door. Kizbiz was lying on a bed, she looked very tired.

"Final months, eh? Just wanted to inform you, I managed an order for three red shawls, okay?"
Kizbiz nodded. "I'll take a look at that."
Lolor nodded too, and left to the caverns.

"Are we ready?" asked Lolor.
Kādolites nodded.
"Aren't we asking Urnūt or Nakuth to help us with the digging?" asked Id.
"No, Sarvesh. The area is not secured. It would be dangerous. For now, the toad wants few chunks for few weapons. Rest of miners can dig tetrahedrite or something."
They descended all the way down. Miners already made staircase around Urist's pit, but not further. That was no problem for the dwarves, as there was no other steep passage.

"Behold, the magma sea!" said Id.
"Haven't seen it in a while." said Ziril. "Alright. Let's find safe vein."
They carefully walked on the obsidian encrusted shore, and they saw glittering blue thing somewhere afar.
"There!"

It was a pillar of raw adamantine, and part of it was on the stone platform, enough of it for our dwarves.
"Ooh, adamantine! It's so beautiful..." gasped Id.
"Never saw it before?" asked Keshan.
"I did, but never mined it. It was far too dangerous this deep. Speaking of which... What's the plan?"
"Ziril! Safety instructions!" said Lolor.

"Look boy, it's simple." said Ziril, smiling. "The vein is hollow in inside, and if we don't wanna die, we mustn't break through. So before every hit, you'll tap a little and listen. Once it'll sound like asrer, dig at another spot. Okay? Magma creatures will leave you alone, they'll recognize your fire mark."

"That's... Useful! Okay!" said Id, and went on mining.

Id was left mining, three masters moved closer to the sea. Ziril has prepared some ancient scrolls and pouches. He threw one to Lolor and one to Keshan.
They all dipped their fingers into red powder, and mutually drew each other marks on their faces, around mouth, around eyes and on the forehead. Their palms were red as well after the procedure.

They stood in a row, facing the magma sea. They raised their colored arms, and chanted in ancient dialect. Id looked briefly what they're doing, he saw they tongues were on fire as they spoke.

Trembling, he rather kept on mining, how Ziril instructed him. Some chunks came loose. He smiled, and mined another thick layer.
After the first chant, Keshan and Lolor placed their hands on Ziril's shoulders, as he threw fistfuls of powder in the magma. It started to gurgle, and crimson smoke was coming from the sea, it could be smelled all across the cavern. Then they chanted again.

Id mined out more chunks in the meanwhile. He again tested if he can dig further by gently tapping the vein, and listening. He heard another sounds besides his pickaxe and chanting, he heard weird screeching, very unpleasant to his ears, otherworldly and horrible. He was trembling and sweating, but didn't want to interrupt his friends, so he mined on.

The magma was gurgling like boiling water. Blinding light filled the whole cavern, then the beams withdrew to source, a bright figure, standing on the magma.

As the light faded, the figure darkened, and Id could see, it was a strapping dwarf, with dense black beard and hair, red and golden clothes, skin like ash and flames in his eyes.
The three masters bowed their heads low, Id did as well.

"You've called me and I stand between mortals. Why did you call me?" asked the being, with deep thundering voice. "No one did that in ages..."
"Oh, great Kādol, great evil is tearing our kingdom apart. By advice of Luslemnod, toad sorcerer, we called you, so you'll help us in retaking the Mountainhome." said Lolor.
"I see. Is it the night guy everyone's taking about?"
They nodded, but were surprised.

"You know how it looks in my realm? It isn't really pleasant. We lost one of us to the monster just because he wanted to beat him alone! Everyone's holding grudges against everyone else. I don't really know if I'll get along some toad. But, let's try it. Lead the way."
They wanted to go, when Kādol noticed Id with chunks of adamantine.

"You're mining adamantine?!!" he growled angrily. "Kādolites. Mining. Adamantine?!! What is this madness?!!"
"We have everything under control." said Ziril. "The toad is aware of everything. It's suspicious toad, but still. It's trustable."

"I hope so!"

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2019, 08:11:20 am »

"Let me pass, let me pass!" called the toad. "For I'm power of ancient, clear the way!"

Amphibian men let the toad pass. It took a few steps, then it turned back.

"I need to speak with your leader! Lead the way, lead the way!"

Guards obeyed, and took the toad to some big tent, further leading to little cave.
"There is a toad, wanting to speak with you!" said one of the guards.

The leader turned at them.
It was a bulky amphibian man, with maroon cape and golden buckles. A brawny kobold bodyguard stood next to him.
"A toad?" he asked.
"Yeah, you're blind?" said the toad. "Thanks, guys, you can go. You're Wõrv, I presume?"
"I am. Why are you here?"
"You're doing nasty things to cavern people!" croaked the toad angrily. "That's not okay at all!!"
"I have big plans. If they don't assimilate, they're my foes. By the way, you told me to do so."
"What?!!" said the toad, outraged.
"A toad of yours had made a pact with us..."
"Which one? I'll make sure it's punished appropriately!"
"Why so?" asked Wõrv. "It's for good of our people!"

"It's not just you and your people! And that's why I came too. By the toady authority, I am mobilising your tribe to help us retrieve the Mountainhome!"
Wõrv looked at our toad open-mouthed.
"Wha... What? Who cares about dorfs? They're nasty pests that break into your tunnel, steal your stuff, hunt on your grounds..."
"Our goal is not to make everything how it suit us. Our goal is to un-taint our world as much as we can. You remember?"
"That's not what he said to me."
The toad was trying to grunt.
"It's up to you. I can't force you to join us. Forcing opposes goodwill. If you want to be the bad guy, it's your thing. But when you'll day, everyone'll rejoice 'cause there is one evil less in this realm."
It crawled away. At the entrance to tent it called: "If you changed your mind, send a letter or something."

Wõrv sat down. And contemplated.

Before toad left the camp, it sailed in, swiftly and silently, into one particular tent.
"Is here the Deilik guy?" it whispered, as it entered.
A little figure in front of it nodded. The toad came forth to take a look at him.

It was kobold, shorter than the others, in maroon cape, with shiny metal band on his head.
"I guess you're not happy here." the toad croaked.
"You guess right." said Deilik. His voice wasn't like of other kobolds. It wasn't so deep as dwarven, but had certain dwarfiness in it.
"Maybe I convinced the big frog boss to stop doing nonsense and start doing something useful."
"That would be great."

The toad thought for a while, then it said: "If I freed you, in case he wouldn't agree, would kobolds support us?"
The kobold thought for a while.
"If you free me, no matter how, we're with you."

"Excellent." said the toad with a wide grin. "Excellent..."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2019, 09:28:34 am »

I smell an army of kobolds in the making!  :D

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2019, 07:17:41 am »

"Oh lookie there. We're here." said Limulsheget with a grin. "That's the rock block made out of rock blocks, with labyrinth underneath dug in a rock. Dwarves are truly imaginative."
"Darkness is all around these mountains..." said Uxzoustug. "I don't like it."
"Does it mean bogeymen will assault us?" asked Omot.
"Not when I am around. Still, be careful. Zomus is not to be underestimated."

"Shall we build siege engines?"
"Ong is our siege engine."
Limulsheget chuckled. "Might be so, but what about you? You would be perfect fireball."
"I think I'll have to do something about this night ward in the first place."

"Not a single battering ram?" insisted Omot. "I know dwarven traps and mechanisms, if our enemies figured out how it works... But you're right. With one lord of Alsmustspås, and some golden big guy, this is going to be piece of cake!"
"Don't forget we're fighting against another lord of Alsmustspås. And really treacherous one. Keep your eyes open."

Limulsheget suddenly jerked.
"Did you feel it too?" he asked.
"What? Magic? Magic is everywhere."
"Not like Zomus. This was like some... Something familiar... Something bad must have happened..."

Mean-while

"Hoohoo, thisss isss ssso fassscinating... With thisss knowledge, I'll be unssstopable! Pity the ssspear isss gone... Sssoaked with blood of thousssandsss of wicked onesss, that'sss weapon worthy enough for me!"

"What's happening? Why hasn't Cilko returned yet?" asked pretty much everyone in a big tribal crowd, pushing on their leaders.
"We are forbidden to enter this mountain!" said one Ńabsizcasser. "I or someone could take a look, but it's not worth the cleansing..."
"We saw elves marching there!" objected the crowd. "They know what's happening, and we shouldn't?"

One of Cilko apprentices ran from the mountain down to his people, gasping, panting heavily. He coughed blood, and they saw he has big wound on his chest.
"Mitacespi, great!" said the Ńabsizcasser. "Hear, Abo Alho!"

The apprentice could talk only a little for his wounds. But he managed to tell enough.
"The elves overran the... mountaintop..."
Sutad was among the tribesmen, he was in charge of feeding the army. He took care of the Mitacespi. He was worrying for his friends, Duto and Udma, ever since they left. Now he was worrying the most.

Every Xemfedem assembled near the Ńabsizcasser, and planned what to do. Then the Ńabsizcasser came forth his people.

"We are to protect the Exalted one." he spoke.
The crowd started warcrying, raising their spears, clapping and stomping. The Ńabsizcasser danced his battle dance, and the tribal army charged to the Mountaintop.

"Illusssionsss, powersss of the foressst... Useful are thessse ssspellsss..." hissed the Golden Queen, pleased.
Then she heard warcry. She turned, and saw all the tribesmen.

"What'sss thisss?"
"What's that?!!" called the tribesmen.
Those who had knowledge of myths knew, that Exalted one used to fight some winged serpents.
"It's an enemy! It's stealing ancient treasures of the Exalted one!" shouted the Ńabsizcasser.
"Ssstep back, humansss!" she hissed. "Exalted one? Isss that the pale wizard? With a ponytail?"
Tribesmen truly stopped, they were struck by some strange awe coming from the being.
"I don't know who you are, but thisss is not your busssinessssss!"

Sutad saw her wounds and missing wing, also a blade, not perfectly clean.
"It must have fought someone!" he called.
"Yeah, I ssslew sssome big birdsss when in air... Then that bold king grounded me... He couldn't even regret that, that'sss how fassst he went down!"
"No..." whispered the Ńabsizcasser. "Liar! Monster! Slay it! Slay that beast!"
He started to dance, and gave courage to his fellows. They charged.

The Golden Queen raised her head the highest she could and stared at them. Her eyes flashed green and white. The tribal army fell one by one to ground, asleep.

"Didn't sssomebody essscape? No? Great. Thessse got me unprepared, I could trick them or sssomething, duh! With thessse illusssion ssspellsss, many possssssibilitiesss come in consssideration..."

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2019, 07:53:08 am »

Our three adventurers were swiftly and silently marching towards their destination. Believe or not, they didn't know what to say, they were out of topics, and Olmul out of songs. But he had still one trump prepared.
"How far?"
"Shut up." retorted Len. "I hate that question. We're getting nearer every day."
"Great." said Berath. "Journeys shouldn't be so long..."
"Oh, you're not that accomplished journeydwarf!" said Olmul. "Mountains are worst. Even through desert, we were travelling quickly, but mountains... Bad thing. I like tunnels. Nice, paved, engraved tunnels, under the fortresses..."

"In how many tunnels you were, accomplished journeydwarf?"
Olmul stopped and thought.

"Well... One. But as you can see, it was experience of lifetime!"
"I don't have engraved tunnel leading to lord Adrenolok, sorry!" said Len. "Besides... Whoaaa!"

The man fell through a hole in the ground. Both dwarves looked through it, they heard grinding and the hole shut itself with stone desk.

"Argh, what's this?!!" growled Olmul. "Len? Len! Can you hear me?"
"He apparently can't..." said Berath. "This is bad!"
"You don't say!"
The dwarves searched the area around the now sealed hole. Our axeman, meanwhile, has found himself in dark hallway.

"Gah, my back!" he whispered. Then he looked around.

He was between two walls. In one direction, the path turned, in the other, it branched out in two directions. He saw bones scattered on the floor, some of the paved blocks were little bit higher than the others. He also heard grinding and weird blowing, deep and hard.

"Looks like some mad dungeon..." he said to himself. "Where are the dwarves? I must get out!"

"Hey, that looks like entrance of some kind!" called Berath.
"Truly!" said Olmul. "Let's go get our friend back!"
They went down. They passed through short hallway and came to crossroad, branching out to left and right.

Where should they go?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:41 am »

An old habit of mine when exploring dungeons is to start to the left. Not sure why left, but being consistent helps me remember where I've been.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2019, 09:33:42 am »

An old habit of mine when exploring dungeons is to start to the left. Not sure why left, but being consistent helps me remember where I've been.
Sure, why not? Left it is.

I do wonder exactly what we're looking at here... some kind of minotaur labyrinth maybe?  Something like that.

klonk
Sigtext

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:53 pm »

The two turned left, and went only few steps forward, because the path turned again almost immediately.
"Look!" whispered Olmul. "That's human blood, if I'm not wrong!"
"Could be Len's." whispered Berath back. "We should move on..."

They followed the trail swiftly, but silently. The path curved again, and led them to another crossroad, similar to that they were by before.

"Oh, that's a dead guy. Phew." whispered Olmul.
"He looks weird..."

It was human body, of normal size, but the green robe was quaintly large, so he appeared very big. The robe was torn on his chest, and old dried up blood was all around the hole.
On his head he had brown mask, cracked. It was shaped like head of a dragon.
"Never saw anything like this." wondered Olmul. "No goblin branch of wizards I ever saw was close to this."

"I'll grind your bones into porridge!"
shouted thundering voice, deep, growl-like.
Both dwarves stroke defensive positions.

"What was that?" thought Len. "Ouch, my back!"
He wasn't limping, but walking caused him pain, so he proceeded most comfortable way he could.

"A dead end, you gotta be kiddin' me. Some horrible beast is locked down here with me... What's this... Leather?"

Snorting and blowing was becoming more and more intense. Len leaned on wall and prepared his axe.

Tip of the turn: You can control Len as well, but you don't know how far is he from the dwarves, nor where is he at all.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19