Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horizon Forbidden West: even more mechanical megafauna!  (Read 1426 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Horizon Forbidden West: even more mechanical megafauna!
« on: February 20, 2022, 08:16:41 am »

Is it a faux pas to talk about console-only games2Horizon Forbidden West has been released!

I've been looking forward to this for a loooong time.  I imagine I can't be alone in this forum liking this series.  I have also intentionally been avoiding almost all media coverage of it because spoilers in this franchise would be seriously annoying.  It's also a challenge because my six-year-old son also loves the game and is way ahead of me in the storyline. He will say "Dad! I just..." and I have to cover my ears and go "la la la no spoilers!"

If you're not familiar with the series - it's one of the best action-RPGs I've ever played over the course of three decades.  Good game mechanics, an impeccably realized world (I'm not talking technical - I'm talking about believable social structures, realistic characters, settlements that look like settlements would actually look, NPCs that behave for the most part like people behave, worldbuilding through discovery, not narration).  The character acting and writing is also superb - I have yet to come across a protagonist or antagonist which doesn't provoke a real response.

So far my only gripes are too-abrupt1 cuts during cinematics (which are *not* pre-rendered, at least on PS5; you can see distant detail assets filling in during the cutscene!), one NPC that was catatonic staring off into the distance despite having an interaction icon, and the a song that played during the delayed opening credits had lyrics in it (which I always feel is thematically odd - don't need no lyrics to convey emotion folks).  Oh and the language is a little stronger; the original only had some damns, but the new one already has dropped a few s-words.  Not the best for my 6-year old, but it's an opportunity to explain about appropriate language.

An example of how aware the developers are of their audience: they addressed the issue of "how do we make this a sequel and start a well-developed character over at level one" very well.  A notes early on in the game to your character "so... you seem to be traveling light these days" and your character goes "yeah, I ran into some... trouble and lost my equipment."  It is just reasonable enough, and makes you not have to suspend disbelief.  They also start you off with some combat moves that were previously unlocked skills so you can do some good stuff - but the enemies are stronger so even though you have your "moves" it still feels like a progression, rather than a regression.  Although I am missing my fire arrows and sharpshot bow more than anything else.

1 It's like a literal one-frame cut; no transition. I think it's because of technical issues, because it's not on all cuts - just some of them.

EDIT:
2So apparently Horizon Zero Dawn is available (for Windows) on Steam.  I totally recommend it wholeheartedly. Worth every penny!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:17:39 pm by McTraveller »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum faux pas? Horizon Forbidden West: even more mechanical megafauna
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 02:41:34 pm »

2So apparently Horizon Zero Dawn is available (for Windows) on Steam.  I totally recommend it wholeheartedly. Worth every penny!

It's also on GOG. It goes half price a few times a year. Yes, the original is quite good. Forbidden West appears to be more of the same and Aloy is really bored and tired of the tribalism (which is accurate).

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 10:20:37 pm »

I played the original on Playstation.
By far my biggest gripe was trying to aim that bow using a joystick. There are some game systems that work very well with a controller, but trying to hit tiny moving targets during brief windows of opportunity is not ideal. I am tempted to try again on PC though. Maybe when it goes on sale.

Aside from aiming, I also didn't love the fact that a majority of the game's content comes in the form of extremely shallow collect-a-thon. Lots of running around and picking up trinkets just to tick off a checklist for an achievement that says you're finally done with the game. I grew weary of it long before I could finish.

Beyond that though, Horizon does have some lovely settings, interesting lore, and diverse characters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:24:49 am »

... but yeah, just to reassure, talking console only is just fine. Not sure why it wouldn't be. Other games is other games, not other personal computer games or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon Forbidden West: even more mechanical megafauna!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 04:22:25 pm »

I don't recall Zero Dawn being any more "fetch quest" than any other modern RPG. Especially considering you can do the main quest line in maybe 10 hours without any of the extra fetch stuff.  As evidenced by my son completing the game at least a dozen times.

That is - I saw the collection quests as a bonus prize while just wandering around the world; I wandered just to see it all, not because of the trinkets.

That's an interesting observation about the aiming - I never found it to be an issue personally. But I've never been into mouse/keyboard shooter type games, so maybe it's just a perspective thing.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 06:52:26 pm »

Impressions now after 50 hours playing (40% game progression - yeah I'm a side quest nut and am weird and don't like to fast travel).  My son, who just bee-lines the main quest line, has completed the game twice already.

This will largely be spoiler-free:

World:  The same general world, only larger.  Much larger.  And just like the real world, you do wonder just how the people survive with the severe tribalism.   I've only seen a few ham-handed attempts at more specific social commentary1.

Good: fantastic vistas.  Also now the moon moves across the sky!  But it's still always full. On the PS5, the shader effects for water are fantastic.  Characters now visibly sweat.

Bad: dust blowing in the wind still looks like it's following a piecewise-linear path.  Weather is not persisted across saves; if it's raining at save it can be clear when you reload, or vice-versa.

Story: Pretty standard fare, but executed well.  I don't have too much to say about this - I'm not disappointed.  The one thing that's a potential drawback is I don't feel there is as much mystery about it compared to the story in Zero Dawn; unless there's a twist later, it seems pretty straightforward.  Still compelling, but at times it doesn't seem to have the urgency that the story actually suggests2.

Mechanics: I play on Hard, which is a decent challenge.  I feel like the difficulty is higher than in Zero Dawn. I die way more often - even when being over-leveled for my current quests.  The world definitely feels more dangerous.  I can be one- and two-shot by some enemies still if not careful, and the enemy aggression is much stronger - both machines and humans are now much more prone to gang-up on you.  I do find the main story bosses so far to be easier than the heavy mechs in the wild... I suspect it's because the wild animals appear to level-scale, but the quest bosses don't appear to do so.

I'm of mixed feelings about the crafting mechanics - I like the concept of being able to "level up" weapons, but it feels like it is a bit more fetch-quest based than in Zero Dawn to get upgrades - before you just got a new weapon to upgrade; now you've got to buy a new weapon then go hunt for quite a few tedious-to-get machine parts to get the most of the new weapons.

Most of the best weapons also seem to be locked behind side quests, which is somewhat nicer than just being able to buy the best from vendors.

I'm not sure I like all the "quality of life" changes; I never seem to be hurting for resources other than medicine. I remember running out of ammo in Zero Dawn but I've never run out of the important ammo yet.  I'm sure some people like the Stash mechanic, but I find that something is lost when I don't have to consider tradeoffs of what I need to drop when looting machines.

I do think that the weapons and armor themselves give more nuance - I like the additional weapon types, element types, and having to be much more aware of what approaches work for what opponents.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2 (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 11:34:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 08:03:28 am »