Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knights of the Chalice 2.  (Read 3037 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knights of the Chalice 2.
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:02 am »

So, I am waiting for 4 releases in 2019. The Steam version of DF, Realms Beyond, Xenonauts 2. and KotC 2. The Kickstarter will start very soon, the trailer has been released already. Note: The engine and the toolset are both ready. Kickstarter backers will receive the first module [Augury of Chaos] and the toolset when the KS ends. Pierre [the developer] will use the KS money to add new classes, develop new modules etc. etc.

Official website & featureshttp://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Features.htm

Screenshots: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Screenshots.htm

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1848628223/knights-of-the-chalice-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:00:53 am by gimli »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Chalice 2.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:55 am »

Aw hell, I've been waiting for news of that thing. Pretty certainly going to be the second or third thing I've kickstarted, if that's the route the dev's going. Loved the first one to bits for what it was, and a sequel with more everything is right up my alley.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:09:47 am »

What is the draw of this one? At a glance it looks a bit like other D&D inspired games I've played in the past.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:20:00 am »

I can't really say for 2 what with it not being out, but the first was a crunchy, sprite based, mostly dungeon crawl hack and slash party thing. Sorta' nostalgic for stuff like the old dark sun games, just... newer, less buggy, etc. Didn't try to get too fancy or go beyond what it was setting out to do and did so pretty competently for the amount of people working on it, so on, so forth. The weapon enchanting was nice, heh.

Basically it was a pretty solid, scope limited (in a good way), non-fancy-graphics combat focused CRPG, harkening back to older games that were done fairly well. Nice stuff, maybe not super ground breaking or summat but definitely capable of scratching a specific sort of itch. 2 is supposed to largely be that, but more.

E: Though looking at the screenshots for the first time in a while, that's definitely changed quite a bit, heh. Still. Crunchy, combat heavy, D&D derived mechanics, lots of classes and whatnot. It's another riff on the D&D game concept, but it's not like that's necessarily a bad thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:23:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:21 am »

Oldschool turn-based 3.5e D&D. Huge content, tons of features, world builder toolset & decent AI. What else do we need? :D I also love the tabletop look of the new engine. The first [KS] module [Augury of Chaos] won't have a world map and regional maps. The main module [Pierre will work on that after the KS ends] will have those as well. [Note: Modders will be able to add regional & world maps using the toolset, which will be released along with the first module.]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:51:25 pm by gimli »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:45:41 pm »

Cool, thanks for the information. Any mention of Dark Sun is enough to get my attention, I spent a lot of time playing that when I was a kid!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:19 pm »

Never actually checked it out, I think, but if you're curious about kotc 1, there is a demo. Might help get a feel for the first one and (very) rough idea what sort of dev you're dealing with.
Ask not!
Ask!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:37:06 am »

Btw Pierre will put KotC 1. on Steam before the KotC 2. KS, IE. very soon.

Never actually checked it out, I think, but if you're curious about kotc 1, there is a demo. Might help get a feel for the first one and (very) rough idea what sort of dev you're dealing with.

Well, it's a 3.5e game as well, but the engine is brand new, and tons of content has been added [including the toolset]. Note: The AI was decent in KotC 1. [probably one of the best AIs what I've seen, especially in the RPG genre], and the KotC 2. AI will be even more intelligent if its true. Which means world class. Let's wait and see.  8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:49:02 am by gimli »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:18:54 pm »

Huh. May well just be me, and it's a subjective thing anyways, but I really don't like that graphical style. Not like that'd prevent me from partaking in good gameplay, but it's a little too 'board game using cardboard tokens for everything'.

From watching the trailer, with the animations and effects it does seem to work well enough at least. And it would make the graphical barrier to modding quite a bit lower than usual (i.e. put a graphic in the circle, no need to worry about spriting or 3D or whatnot), which is admittedly a plus.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 04:40:00 pm »

Nah, it's definitely a bit off-putting now that I've noticed it, heh. Liked the first one's more, by and large. I can grok the likely why of it (as you've noted, easier modding which is apparently a priority), but if I hadn't played the first and otherwise were coming to the game cold I probably would pass it over on first encounter.
Ask not!
Ask!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:24:15 am »

Huh. May well just be me, and it's a subjective thing anyways, but I really don't like that graphical style. Not like that'd prevent me from partaking in good gameplay, but it's a little too 'board game using cardboard tokens for everything'.

From watching the trailer, with the animations and effects it does seem to work well enough at least. And it would make the graphical barrier to modding quite a bit lower than usual (i.e. put a graphic in the circle, no need to worry about spriting or 3D or whatnot), which is admittedly a plus.

I love the tabletop look + it will be easy to replace everything. The engine is very "mod friendly". It will be possible to add animated sprites even later on. Btw the vanilla gfx style is not unique. Take a look at Fantasy Grounds for example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:41:21 pm by gimli »

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 03:57:09 am »

Looking forward to it.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 10:00:26 am »

So the Kickstarter has started a day ago, and it's already funded.  8) -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1848628223/knights-of-the-chalice-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/

Very nice, this will be one of the best D&D RPGs for sure...and don't forget, it's coming with the toolset. I am really excited. I backed the project personally, now I can't wait to start playing in july. I will definitely start working on a module as well.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 11:53:58 am »

Bumping this because it's now out.

I hadn't been paying attention to it since I was put off by the token-style graphics, but it turns out they gave it an animated isometric graphics style. The token view is still there and is toggleable via alt+T for people preferring a more tactical view. And there's some uncanny valley aspect of the graphics style that reminds me of Dink Smallwood, but it's certainly nice to have.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 08:53:07 pm »

It was inevita