Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: $20 itch.io release - Tileset concerns  (Read 4805 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: $20 itch.io release - Tileset concerns
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 06:14:41 am »

Really!? When did STEAM add the option to back up your installers so that you can use your games at any time without having internet access?

Right. Never.

Until it does that, it is STEAM-DRM.

You mean like this -> https://imgur.com/a/QZ8P9iD ?

That doesn't address Chimerat's concerns, though. First, to restore the backup, you have to log into Steam, so it can't be used offline. Second, the backup feature does not affect whether or not you can play offline. My understanding is that some games require you to be online to play and it's possible for the Steam client to require login:
If the Steam client is requiring a login, there is no option to bypass that without going online.

Also worth noting about the backup system from Steam:
Many games that use third party installers or downloaders will not work with Steam's backup feature.

It appears that the backup feature is not universal for purchases from Steam.
Some games. Which means there's a choice. Games makers who want to force you online will, regardless of Steam. Those who don't, won't.

Not having done anything with Steam Backup at all and just disconnecting myself from the Internet, I find I can still play Crusaders Kings II, Caves of Qud and Unreal World.

Xcom II on the other hand cries about not finding Steam.

Looks like Kitfox will be free to choose whether to force you online or not.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:17:49 am »

Wait, are people seriously trying to claim that game developers having 3rd party launchers (like War Thunder) makes steam into "DRM" because you cant play them without online access? Despite all that being fully controlled by the developers not steam?

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 07:21:07 am »

Really!? When did STEAM add the option to back up your installers so that you can use your games at any time without having internet access?

Right. Never.

Kerbal Space Program, Factorio, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Undertale, Crusader Kings 2, UnReal World, just from what I've played can all do this, so, uh, maybe don't double down and dig your heels in about being so wrong?

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 03:58:05 am »

Right. Never.

Kerbal Space Program, Factorio, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Undertale, Crusader Kings 2, UnReal World, just from what I've played can all do this, so, uh, maybe don't double down and dig your heels in about being so wrong?

As i see, game is drm free if you can play and install it without internet connection. I have no doubt the DF will fulfil first requirement, not sure about second.
Is it possible with steam or itch.io?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 04:20:25 am »

If a steam game is DRM-free, you can simply copy the game directory wherever you want (like another computer) and run it without steam. You only need steam for downloading. I am not sure what you call "installation" in the case of DF. I hope this answer your question.

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 04:33:51 am »

If a steam game is DRM-free, you can simply copy the game directory wherever you want (like another computer) and run it without steam. You only need steam for downloading. I am not sure what you call "installation" in the case of DF. I hope this answer your question.
Regarding DF yes, as far as i am concerned, based on your comment, it is drm free on stem :) (or at least it is possible to be drm free)
, but talking about more typical stem games which require installation. If it is drm free can I download exe/sh, copy it on my internet free computer and install it?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 05:01:42 am »

I cannot give a general answer. A lot of games don't actually require any special installation (the installer only extracts files and creates shortcuts). I have tons of games on my computer that were installed several windows versions ago and are still running fine, but others may require registry keys or something to start.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22:11 am »

Regarding DF yes, as far as i am concerned, based on your comment, it is drm free on stem :) (or at least it is possible to be drm free)
, but talking about more typical stem games which require installation. If it is drm free can I download exe/sh, copy it on my internet free computer and install it?

Yes, for Kerbal Space Program, Tales of Maj'Eyal and Undertale. I have multiple copies of each lying around for various purposes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:44 am »

Right. Never.

As i see, game is drm free if you can play and install it without internet connection. I have no doubt the DF will fulfil first requirement, not sure about second.
How do you install DF without an Internet connection?
It's only available from Bay12Games right now. That's an online site. You know,  on the Internet.

Toady mentioned someplace that installing the Steam test version simply installed the DF directory on your hard drive. Exactly the same as getting it from Bay12Games  (which you'll still be able to do, even after the Steam release).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:55:29 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:52 am »

It was thinking more generally how steam non-drm games work, but yeah offtopic, anyways thanks for answers

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 01:01:58 pm »

Right. Never.

It's only ever possible to install a game without being online if you've got it on a compact disk or other physical media. Although Dwarf Fortress has never been distributed this way, there's no reason you wouldn't be able to obtain a copy of the game (whether through Steam or otherwise) and put it on physical media yourself, if for example you had a computer in a remote location without internet on which you wanted to play DF.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »

I do exactly that. I have a machine or three that I don't connect by ethernet¹ to my home network and use a basic sneakernet proxy (USB drive) to copy things back and forth from a browsing machine as occasionally required. Getting non-stub installers for some things is awkward, but not the Bay12-hosted DF which isn't even complicated by an install-wizard, it just is the gamedirs. Is the LNP wizard-packaged, or just the same but with an alternate launcher with extended (net-pulling, if not manually added) options?

I don't know if the initial download of Steam-DF is going to just netinstall, nor if that netinstalled footprint will have call-home features to thwart copying over, but I'm not sure that's going to be the sticking point for me.

¹ One is a test web server for testing principles that I've no intention of accessing remotely, even across the WAN. Another is equipped with a radio card that lets me record radio, and there's no need for it to 'speak', as well as listen, save through its own audio playback.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 04:30:59 pm »

The LNP should be sneakernet installable as well. The launcher has an option to check for updates, but you can disable it (and I think it simply fails to find anything if there's no connection).

Technically there's no need for a callback feature on install of DF, although installation through Steam obviously requires the Steam launcher to download and install the package. Once installed, I'd expect you to be able to just copy the whole directory structure to where you want it (such as a zip file for easier sneakernet transfer, as I don't think Steam enforces usage of vile things like the registry. Those who have Unreal World through Steam may be able to confirm whether the installation is possible to move/copy, as the games share a similarity in their installation.
Pages: 1 [2]