Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water not freezing / temperature not working  (Read 1171 times)

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water not freezing / temperature not working
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

I have noticed something. For some reason temperature never changes after embark (or at all). I used dfhack probe, temperature was 10002U in cold biome and stayed that way all year long.
I enabled it in LNP and checked d_init file, it is set to YES

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water not freezing / temperature not working
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:54:56 am »

Temperature variation is based on latitude, and there's no temperature change at either the equator or at the pole(s), with an essentially linearly increasing temperature variation as the latitude approaches 45 degrees from a pole (from either direction), nor is there any variation in worlds that don't have latitudes (different world tiles may have different temperatures, but no variation).

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:10:47 pm »

Temperature variation is based on latitude, and there's no temperature change at either the equator or at the pole(s), with an essentially linearly increasing temperature variation as the latitude approaches 45 degrees from a pole (from either direction), nor is there any variation in worlds that don't have latitudes (different world tiles may have different temperatures, but no variation).

I disabled poles in world gen. So it was the case?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:06 pm »

Yes. No poles = no latitudes = no temperature variation.

The current temperature variation logic doesn't match reality well, as the difference between the hottest and the coldest time of the year gets greater the further you get from the equator, rather then reversing half way, as half a year of darkness followed by half a year of sunlight can result in rather significant differences despite the sunlight having to pass through a lot of atmosphere [which might be what Toady simulates with the decrease from the mid latitudes], but in the game world it's the game world logic that rules (and nothing says seasons depend on the tilt of the world's axis as it rotates around the sun anyway)...

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 02:47:05 pm »

Yes. No poles = no latitudes = no temperature variation.

The current temperature variation logic doesn't match reality well, as the difference between the hottest and the coldest time of the year gets greater the further you get from the equator, rather then reversing half way, as half a year of darkness followed by half a year of sunlight can result in rather significant differences despite the sunlight having to pass through a lot of atmosphere [which might be what Toady simulates with the decrease from the mid latitudes], but in the game world it's the game world logic that rules (and nothing says seasons depend on the tilt of the world's axis as it rotates around the sun anyway)...

I feel like your logic is a bit off. Think of it this way: When you set the world to have no poles the sun is shining on the world equally all the way around. When you set it to just one pole (lets use the south pole as an example) then, sort of like earth, the sun isn't really ever touching the south pole all the much, so it's colder. If you set it to two poles, like earth, then it functions like earth does. So a world with no poles means no temperature variances.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »

I'm not sure what you're after, nuget102. I didn't try to relate a no pole world with reality at all, although you could see it as representing such a small part of the world that there isn't much of a difference across it (or a flat world with a flat sheet of a sun, or, or the sun being infinitely far away, outputting an infinite amount of energy, with the two infinite values being balanced, or ....).

A single pole means, in my view, that you're really only seeing half of the world (the DF logic behaves that way, although we're free to come up with any matching explanation we want. The DF world isn't even a spheroid...).

There are rather extreme temperature variations at the poles of the real world, although I think the range might be even larger in the Siberian interior. The differences around the equator are modest, and more a result of cloud and rain than the amount of light energy received (if the clouds were ignored).

The reason we have seasons on Earth is that its axis is tilted relative to the orbit around the sun. If the axis was at 90 degrees to the orbit, there would be no seasons, as the incoming solar radiation would be the same throughout the year, so you'd have a temperature gradient from the equator to the poles, but no variation over the year (apart from that caused by the orbit around the sun not being a circle, but rather elliptic, but the cycle of that doesn't match the rotation rate of the Earth around the sun, as the ellipse is rotating as well).