Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have beard styles for civs other than just Dwarfs  (Read 893 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Have beard styles for civs other than just Dwarfs
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:57:38 am »

Currently, dwarfs are the only civ that has varying beard stylings, with every other race just having unkempt maximum length beards.

This should clearly be rectified, possibly with non-dwarf civs having a leaning towards shorter beards, or being clean shaven.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Have beard styles for civs other than just Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »

I tried to look around for what was written about this, but I couldn't find anything but:
Does the TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING tag need a certain format besides just trying stuff like BRAIDED or SHAVED or whatnot? I couldn't get it to work with anything but the STANDARD_*_SHAPINGS entries, which brings up another question, are there any plans to move things like styling/jewelry/where jewelry can be equipped out to the raws in the near future?
This isn't something that can be defined with new tokens yet.  It only takes NEATLY_COMBED, BRAIDED, DOUBLE_BRAIDS, PONY_TAILS, CLEAN_SHAVEN, STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_BEARD_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_MOUSTACHE_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_SIDEBURNS_SHAPINGS.

I don't have near future plans to change these things, though yeah, it's lackluster.
Source

I guess it doesn't help that hairstyles are per-creature type and not per-entity as you'd expect them to be...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »

The tags for this are a bit of an odd duck. The tags that define what tissues are one for the purpose of styling are creature/caste level -

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

while the actual stylings are entity level.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:02:21 pm »

I tried to look around for what was written about this, but I couldn't find anything but:
Does the TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING tag need a certain format besides just trying stuff like BRAIDED or SHAVED or whatnot? I couldn't get it to work with anything but the STANDARD_*_SHAPINGS entries, which brings up another question, are there any plans to move things like styling/jewelry/where jewelry can be equipped out to the raws in the near future?
This isn't something that can be defined with new tokens yet.  It only takes NEATLY_COMBED, BRAIDED, DOUBLE_BRAIDS, PONY_TAILS, CLEAN_SHAVEN, STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_BEARD_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_MOUSTACHE_SHAPINGS, STANDARD_SIDEBURNS_SHAPINGS.

I don't have near future plans to change these things, though yeah, it's lackluster.
Source

I guess it doesn't help that hairstyles are per-creature type and not per-entity as you'd expect them to be...
The styles are defined for the entity, not the creature.
Humans can grow beards, but human society doesn't allow it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:05:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:10:59 pm »

I've been adding this:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_STYLE:HAIR]
[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:10:100]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_HAIR_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:SIDEBURNS]
[TS_MAINTAIN_LENGTH:0:100]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_SIDEBURNS_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:MOUSTACHE]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_MOUSTACHE_SHAPINGS]
[TISSUE_STYLE:BEARD]
[TS_PREFERRED_SHAPING:STANDARD_BEARD_SHAPINGS]

to my human entities for a while. It seems to work alright; haven't done extensive testing, but beard and hair-styles do show up, and they aren't just "extremely long hair/beard."
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)