Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constant deaths digging moat.  (Read 2025 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constant deaths digging moat.
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:42 pm »

So I dig a dry moat. Channel a big ring around the fortress. And the dorfs keep dying, like they're falling or something is falling on them from a great height.
I'm only channeling one layer at a time, it's not dug out from below, and there's no reason and scant possibility they can be falling from the ground layer. It doesn't appear that another dwarf is digging the ground out from under them.
What gives here? Is fall damage/damage from falling stones that overpowered now that a one-level drop as they finish a channel and possible boulder spam does this so consistently? Is there another stupid dwarf quirk I'm unfamiliar with?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constant deaths digging moat.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »

Sometimes this happens when ramps are destructed. I think you are just being unlucky.
Maybe you can try remove all the ramps before proceed to next layer?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:48:16 am »

Miner can and will, if he can, dig from a side, but at rare occasions they can dig also from under themselves and then the miner will fall 1 level down.

When you have 10 miners on channeling same area, then surely they will happily dig ground from under each other, which will result in miner's 1 level fall.

When dwarf falls, he can fall right down or... jump aside 1 tile and fall 1 level down from there. So, on steep edges of channeled plain make sure to channel first a line of ramps on the area's sides. Fall from 1 level is less damaging then fall from 5 levels.

As falling seems unavoidable in a long run channeling, I suggest never to channel multiple levels on top of each other at once. Channel next level only after level above has been entirely channeled first.

Injury will not happen often. In majority cases the miner will get just stunned for a short while. However when injury happens in the end, then in majority cases unlucky miner will lose some teeth from the fall. However small injury to little finger, which cannot be diagnosed, washed & bandaged and may (50% chance?) cause during next season a deadly infection, which will surely kill the miner in yet another season, is not unheard about either, though very rare like 1 in 1 million. If you channel a lot, like I do, when flattening map's surface, then you will see how it works for sure. :)

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:01 am »

Even with the area being channeled being perfectly flat, and one level being channeled at once, I still get at least one serious injury/death per level in my fort.

Granted, it's a large project so each level is hundreds of individual channeling jobs, but still.

I think what might be causing the issue in my case is dwarfs channeling the tile, and somehow managing to get underneath the boulders as they fall. (Many have built up as the channel gets deeper).

I don't particularly care though, I only put my supremely expendable dwarfs on channeling duty. It's kind of a punishment in my fort.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:28:37 pm »

Maybe they're channeling down and falling together with boulders on that tile? Check combat reports for boulders hitting your dwarves.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:53 pm »

I made good experience with digging up ramps (d->r) instead of channeling (d->c)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:01:50 pm »

They are digging the ground under the others feet, man. Happened a lot to me. Designate using priorities, and set it like this:
Code: [Select]
This usually makes them stand side by side when digging, because they reach the end of the line and got to walk all the way back afterwards(since they dig left to right).
Alternatively dig ramps or up stairs and then remove ramps from the edges.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »

My mining squad is just 10 miners. I am picking guys, which are not very creative but quite strong or tough and do not have any serious debuffs in other needed for mining attributes. I am putting on them also smoothing walls/floors job from masonry. They become legendary in mining very rapidly this way. I had only one miner's death from channeling so far for last 2 years of playing DF (v43+v44), because of finger injury, which couldn't be cured and got infected. A true freak accident. :S A single death so far...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:45:33 pm »

I have not had a death when I carve stairs first, then channel the top-most level first. 

If I am digging a 2z moat, I would dig down stairs (on z+0), then up/down stairs on (z-1). 

Then channel z+0, and then channel z-1.