Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did DF used to be more.. Chaotic?  (Read 4893 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did DF used to be more.. Chaotic?
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:45 am »

I remember DF as a chaotic experience. Dwarves killing themselves, beating eachother, bashing in heads with pick axes out of anger.
But last time i played... They never did anything really, no crimes, no mischief, no chaos. There was the usual fun stuff of invasions and death and all that but I felt like the dwarves themselves were just being very well behaved... My shariff didnt have much to do, no murdrers, vandals, thieves...

I wonder if theres something I can do to change that. Something i can adjust. Tweak a setting of somesort. Or if its all in my head and the dwarves are as manic as always.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Did DF used to be more.. Chaotic?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:39 am »

Tantrum spirals are way less common and more spaced out since the psychology updates .They can still happen, to much more devastating effect, but they are certainly rarer. Tantrums also now cannot occur with every dorf, only ones with high propensity for anger, if I recall correctly.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:20:42 am »

It might have somethng to do with the current glitch that dwarves dont interact with one another anymore.  So they dont build friendships or enamies... Which means they dont argue, fight or brawl.
Which means less crimes occuring against one another cause everyones working and not spending time together.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:49:15 am »

It is not a big problem anymore.
I just expel everyone who has a red arrow on their head.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:50:01 am »

My dwarves argue, fight and brawl. Especially the stressed ones. Am I doing something wrong?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:21:40 am »

Mine do too, as of the most recent stress updates. It does take a little while for the horror to set in though, and all in all, it seems like you either have most of your dwarves being miserable, or all of them being happy.
I believe this should be fixed as a consequence the upcoming post-villain friendship rehaul, as the dwarves are currently unhappy about having to haul corpses or having meager meals (or having no friends), which is admittedly much less personal than having your best friend mauled by a polar bear.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:06:24 pm »

What do you mean red arrows?

And yeah Toady seems fully aware of the socializing glitch and intending to fix it, i saw him talking about it recently.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 04:18:39 pm »

What do you mean red arrows?

And yeah Toady seems fully aware of the socializing glitch and intending to fix it, i saw him talking about it recently.
Red arrows mean that a character is near-terminally stressed, and can snap at any moment. If you haven't seen this, your dwarves must just have less stress than most forts.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »

Its been nearly a year since i dived in and saw this issue so maybe its newer or i just dont remember.
Though I do remember that the only friends my dwarves had were the same 7 frinds they started the game with.

Though i would like to say my fort was basically  utopia, we wanted for nothing and had all of our food and water taken care of with a complex sewer system that channeled water from the mote into the wells and also connected threw flood gates to create a sprinkler system by relieving and sealing pressure to make water shoot up out of the well or relieving it by sending it out into a waterfall.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:32:42 pm by DizzyCrash »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:43:24 pm »

Obvious question, but you're playing 44.12, right?
Try 44.10 when the new stress features first hit. It was even more out of control then.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 04:49:21 pm »

Try 44.10 when the new stress features first hit. It was even more out of control then.
What was out of control? Dwarves not talking to eachother?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 05:15:55 pm »

Fights, arguments, people bashing each other over the head. Isn't that what your thread is about? People not talking to each other is increasing stress, not decreasing it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:20:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »

No, Dwarves not talking has been in since taverns. Their social skill gain was nerfed just before that, but they were still making friends. Arguments did come with the tavern release because that also added in arguing about ethics, and dwarves now have proper adventure mode conversations.

But like, the current system has forts just die a slow stress death eventually becoming a tantrum spiral because everyone's so stressed out, while the older systems had 'my best friend died'-tantrum spirals. And like, the last one is much more sudden and a lot more fun to deal with than the slow stress death, I think.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 05:29:20 pm »

Fights, arguments, people bashing each other over the head. Isn't that what your thread is about? People not talking to each other is increasing stress, not decreasing it.

The post is about how the last time i played DF ayear ago there was NO chaos and i missed it... There was never any arrests, fights, brawls, murders, nothing interesting ever happened, it was just everyone ignoring eachother and never talking or interactng in any meaningful ways. they barely recognized that the other dwarves existed.
My sheriff had nothing to do what so ever as nobody did anythiing wrong.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »

Ah, no, that one was because alcohol was a tad bit too effective. And then stress was made a bit stronger, but now everyone's a total neurotic.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: [1] 2