Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Sewer System was a bad Idea.  (Read 2477 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Sewer System was a bad Idea.
« on: March 18, 2019, 01:04:48 am »

So this is how my fort died...

I made a sewer system connected to my wells and mote together so my mote and well shared the same water supply, but what ended up happning was all the creatures that fell into my mote got sucked down the drain into my sewer system and started living down there untl one day they crawled up my well and started killing people and dragging kids into the sewers... my greatest defense became my greatest threat... secret entrance into my impenetrable base.

That literally ended my base, so many goblins just surged up threw my sewers, even if 20% of them drowned in the process they would rush in and stab right at the heart of my base.

That well mote trick too me a while too cause the first time i tried it i didnnt have enough flood doors and valves and my well turned into a  jet of water shooting up out of it into the air flooding my base. So having a high pressure of water sent directly to your well isnt a good idea...

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: My Sewer System was a bad Idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:52 am »

Man, I can just imagine dwarven parents telling kids to beware of the sewer monsters.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:20:48 am »

My standard method of dealing with situations like this is cramming as many cage traps as possible in the pipes. I "only" need to build 160 traps, but I prefer to go up to 300. Doing this is only viable in densely-forested areas, it seems.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:24:15 am »

Dealing with water has taught me an obsessive attention to details. My favorite tools nowadays are vertical grates to stop unwanted guests (except megabeasts and some building destroyer type 2 critters) and diagonal passages to negate pressure. Nowadays all my wells have deep cisterns with zero-pressure water supplies.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 05:40:03 am »

Usually what I do is I set up a water supply and sewage system on seperate Z-levels. I make sure there's a grate 'circle' of about 5x5 around the well connected to the sewage system. Then when dwarves have contaminants and wash themselves, the contaminants will stick to the grates and don't get into the well water. And then I make sure there's a lot of floodgates and stuff so I can drain the whole system if needed for repairs. It's the one bit in DF where I really feel like I am engineering something :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:32:35 am »

I know what a horribly bad idea it would be to add a sewer system like this to my fort

but....

I hear the story and I want one....
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:35:42 am »

I know what a horribly bad idea it would be to add a sewer system like this to my fort

but....

I hear the story and I want one....

so do I

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 09:51:13 am »

Why use floodgates? Bridges are basically indestructible floodgates that obliterate anything that tries to block them.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:44 am »

Why use floodgates? Bridges are basically indestructible floodgates that obliterate anything that tries to block them.
Role-playing purposes. Makes sense to use floodgates.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 05:26:55 pm »

Well i should have used a grate... but this was a very slapdash cistern... It was basically a hole in the bottom of my mote that sucked everything inside like  whirlpool and than split the water to exit out next to my thronerom in two beautiful waterfalls so all who sees my king would get a good moodlet, and it also helped to releave the pressure on the well....

Cause my FIRST attempt i forgot to relieve the pressure or have an escape for the water and so it shot a giant jet of water into the air out of my weell killing eveeryone who was near by and or trying to get a drink.... i had to wal off that entire section of the fotress as it startd to flood.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 12:56:14 pm »

Meanwhile I just flooded the lowest level of my fort trying to make a system for my wells. Water is hard, I feel this pain.
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:48:30 pm »

Meanwhile I just flooded the lowest level of my fort trying to make a system for my wells. Water is hard, I feel this pain.
I find water consistently unpredictable in this game. Whenever you think you understand it you dont...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 08:11:25 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I built a fortification between the pool and my water reserver.
I think as long as the tile the fortification is on is not fully submerged, it is safe from intruders?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:11:41 pm »

Sadly no, partially submerged tiles are also unsafe, and current will push creatures into the fortification, from where they can path to both sides.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:17:17 am »

Build a U-bend with a floor grate instead:
Code: [Select]
≈≈▒#≈
▒≈≈≈▒
▒▒▒▒▒
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2